Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Police Interceptor line gets official EPA fuel economy ratings

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 11:49 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.......is there any downside between going from RWD (i.e. Caprice, Crown Vic, etc.) to FWD(Taurus, etc.)..............with regards to performance on high-speed pursuits and other police car related duties?

Or none at all? (i.e. a police car is still a police car regardless of drivetrain)
Old 03-20-12, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hmm.......is there any downside between going from RWD (i.e. Caprice, Crown Vic, etc.) to FWD(Taurus, etc.)..............with regards to performance on high-speed pursuits and other police car related duties?

Or none at all? (i.e. a police car is still a police car regardless of drivetrain)
The only downside I can see is gaining more tech hence more possibility with problems. Take the crown vic for example. It was successful partly because it was a reliable car with a bullet proof V8 and a 4-speed auto that could take a beating. Combine that with bumpers and body panels that could easily be replaced.

These newer designs may be aerodynamically better but I have to wonder if the cost to replace new parts may be more (some may even have sensors that the old CV didn't).

take the SC430 as another example. When the went from a 5-speed auto to the 6-speed Lexus saw more problems with the drivetrain (more components to go wrong)

more is not always better, but its necessary to meet stricter regulations mandated by the government as well as stay current with social trends.

this isn't to say these new cars will be unreliable. assuming they are built right during assembly, and as problems arise and are addressed, they have the potential to smooth out any wrinkles and make these new interceptors as revered as the model they replace

only time will tell
Old 03-21-12, 01:40 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Really? Says who? I find them very easy. And the Ecoboost is only available in AWD.
Have you seen how crammed the engine bay is? Compare that to a crown vic-loads of space to work on.

I came from a mazda with a 3.0L ford V6 engine. The FWD interceptor has the 3.5L and the engine bay is crammed. I can tell you for a fact that the mazda was already a PITA to work on lol. In all honesty, there's more moving parts that can fail; they're moving from a bullet proof NA RWD platform to an NA FWD and TT AWD platform.

Thats just my honest opinion about the maintenance costs
Old 03-23-12, 04:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Have you seen how crammed the engine bay is? Compare that to a crown vic-loads of space to work on.
Well I guess that I am just used to it, having spent all of my time working on horizontally opposed engines.
Old 09-18-13, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689

Default Ford announces first non-pursuit-rated police car ever

Ford announces first non-pursuit-rated police car ever

Ford announced its first non-pursuit-rated Police Interceptor ever, based on the Taurus, which employs the smaller 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine in place of similar pursuit-rated Police Interceptors powered by naturally aspirated 3.5-liter and 3.7-liter V6s and the top-spec 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. Officially called the Special Service Police sedan, the car was commissioned at the request of law-enforcement agencies that desire a more fuel-efficient vehicle for detectives, administrators and campus police, who don't necessarily need pursuit-rated vehicles.

The 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine produces 240 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque, but more importantly, it allows the SSP sedan to achieve somewhere in the neighborhood of 22 miles per gallon city and 32 mpg highway, which are the civilian 2.0-liter Taurus' official EPA ratings. Ford estimates that the SSP sedan will get 20 mpg city, 30 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined, with the help of Active Grille Shutters that open to allow more cooling air through to the radiator, or close to optimize aerodynamics and fuel economy. Those numbers compare favorably to the discontinued Crown Victoria-based Interceptor's 14 mpg city and 21 mpg highway and the newer Taurus-based cars equipped with V6s, the most fuel efficient of which gets 18 mpg city and 26 mpg highway.

If it was driven 90,000 miles over the course of three years, a 2.0-liter SSP sedan would save law enforcement agencies $5,042.92 versus the Crown Vic, Ford estimates. The EPA is expected to post official fuel-economy numbers for the SSP sedan in December

New Ford Special Service Police Sedan with 2.0-Liter EcoBoost Expected to Achieve Best-in-Class Fuel Efficiency

- Ford adds 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine to a new "special service police" sedan model expected to deliver best-in-class fuel efficiency in response to police agency customer requests

- Vehicle's special service police designation designed to meet the needs of detectives, administrators, campus police and law enforcement agencies looking to maximize fuel efficiency

- EPA fuel economy certification expected in December

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 18, 2013 – At the request of law enforcement agencies looking to reduce fuel costs, Ford is launching a non-pursuit-rated "special service police" sedan using the 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine that produces 240 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. The special service police vehicle will combine the durability of Ford's Police Interceptor sedan with the fuel efficiency of its 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine.

The EcoBoost engine should help make this special service police sedan the first law enforcement vehicle to achieve 30 mpg or better in EPA highway ratings expected in December. The sedan is a modified version of the 2.0-liter Ford Taurus that achieves 22 mpg city, 32 mpg highway and 26 mpg combined with the standard six-speed automatic transmission.

The fuel savings potential of the new special service police sedan compared to the model it will replace is significant. The outgoing 4.6-liter V8 Crown Victoria achieved 14 mpg city, 21 mpg highway and 17 mpg combined; the new 2.0-liter EcoBoost special service police sedan is expected to return 20 mpg city, 30 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined.

When driven 30,000 miles per year – not atypical for police agency work – and with gas prices at $3.65 per gallon, the special service police package would save agencies $5,040.92 over three years.

This same engine in Ford Taurus gained notoriety as a Ward's 10 Best Engines winner earlier this year.

"Not every police officer needs a pursuit-rated vehicle," said Jonathan Honeycutt, Ford police marketing manager. "As agencies look to replace older, V8-equipped cruisers with more efficient cars, Ford is at the ready with the most fuel-efficient – yet still very capable – full-size police vehicle."

The addition of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine means agencies will now have four choices of powertrains in the Police Interceptor sedan, including a V6 lineup that outperforms V8 engines of years past.

Police Interceptor sedan is available with a 3.5-liter V6 with front-wheel drive, a 3.7-liter V6 with all-wheel drive and the powerhouse 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine with all-wheel drive – allowing police to choose the powerplant that best meets their patrol requirements.

While expected to be more fuel efficient than the 3.5-liter, 3.7-liter or 3.5-liter EcoBoost variant, the new special service police sedan retains all the essential police DNA that goes into pursuit-rated Police Interceptor sedans, including safety and durability features. Plus it is upfit-friendly and purpose-built. Commonality of parts remains an integral part of the special service police sedan.

To help achieve best-in-class fuel efficiency, the special service police sedan will offer Active Grille Shutters that manage airflow to optimize the balance between engine cooling and aerodynamics.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/f...lice-car-ever/
Old 09-18-13, 07:04 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense I guess...

Oh man, that Ford 3.5L V6 is a DOOOGGGGGG.... Look at how much slower it is than the Chevy and Dodge NA V6 vehicles in 0-60. I would never want a Police Cruiser powered by that engine, it's that pathetic. Week long Ford Edge V6 rental. EcoBoost V6 is the way to go.
Old 09-18-13, 11:39 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Makes sense I guess...

Oh man, that Ford 3.5L V6 is a DOOOGGGGGG.... Look at how much slower it is than the Chevy and Dodge NA V6 vehicles in 0-60. I would never want a Police Cruiser powered by that engine, it's that pathetic. Week long Ford Edge V6 rental. EcoBoost V6 is the way to go.
The 3.5L V6 isn't that bad. But the 3.7L feels much stronger (as it should be) by NA means. Of course EcoBoost is always the preferred choice. They need to crank it beyond 400hp in the SHO.
Old 11-25-13, 11:41 PM
Hoovey689

Default Ford Police Interceptor with 2.0L EcoBoost rated most fuel-efficient police sedan

Ford Police Interceptor with 2.0L EcoBoost rated most fuel-efficient police sedan

Ford Special Service Police Sedan Becomes EPA-Rated as Most Fuel-Efficient Police Vehicle Sold in the U.S.

-- New model achieves EPA-certified mileage rating of 20 mpg city, 30 mpg highway and 24 mpg combined
-- Vehicle's special service police designation designed to meet the needs of detectives, administrators, campus police and law enforcement agencies looking to maximize fuel efficiency, lower operating costs

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 26, 2013 – Ford's latest police vehicle is the most fuel-efficient police car sold in the United States, with an EPA-estimated rating of 20 miles per gallon city, 30 mpg highway and 24 mpg combined.

The special service police vehicle combines the durability of Ford's Police Interceptor sedan with the fuel efficiency of its 2.0-liter EcoBoost® engine.

The fuel savings potential of the new special service police sedan compared with the most fuel efficient competitors is significant, especially for larger fleets spending tens of thousands of dollars per month on gasoline for police vehicles.

Both Dodge and Chevy's most efficient police sedans achieve an EPA-estimated rating of 21 mpg combined; neither hit the 30 mpg mark on the highway cycle.

Based on the EPA-estimated ratings, when driven 30,000 miles per year – common for police-agency work – and with gas prices at $3.21 per gallon (national average based on EPA survey Nov. 18), the Special Service Police package could save agencies approximately $1,720 over three years compared with the most efficient competitors in the market today, which are rated at 21 mpg combined.

For police agencies operating fleets as large as 150 vehicles, the savings estimate over three years jumps to approximately $257,940. Agencies operating smaller fleets of only 50 vehicles could still see their three-year savings add up to approximately $85,980.

"Agencies looking to reduce their fuel expenditures, especially for non-pursuit vehicles in small rural agencies, universities and for detective work will want to take a look," said Jonathan Honeycutt, Ford police marketing manager. "We've had great feedback on the vehicle and had a lot of agencies asking about it."

The addition of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine means agencies will have four powertrain choices in the Police Interceptor sedan, including a V6 lineup that outperforms V8 engines of years past.

Police Interceptor sedan is available with a 3.5-liter V6 with front-wheel drive, a 3.7-liter V6 with all-wheel drive and the powerhouse 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine with all-wheel drive – allowing police to choose the powerplant that best meets their patrol requirements.

To help achieve best-in-class fuel efficiency, the special service police sedan will offer Active Grille Shutters that manage airflow to optimize the balance between engine cooling and aerodynamics. With the addition of the new engine, Ford remains confident in its "Power of Choice" strategy that includes not only retail customers, but fleet customers as well.

The new Special Service Police sedan equipped with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost retains all the essential police DNA that goes into pursuit-rated Police Interceptor sedans, including safety and durability features. Plus it is upfit-friendly and purpose-built. Commonality of parts remains an integral part of the special service police sedan.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/26/f...uel-efficient/
Old 11-26-13, 01:58 AM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Still waiting on the Carbon police vehicle with the BMW sourced diesel 3.0L. Perhaps the best offering to come our way in a while? We shall see.
Carbon is dead I'm afraid

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/19/c...wsuits-follow/
Old 11-26-13, 07:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

take the SC430 as another example. When the went from a 5-speed auto to the 6-speed Lexus saw more problems with the drivetrain (more components to go wrong)

Really? This is the first I've heard of this. The LS had no issues with the switch from the 5spd to 6spd, other than an early recall for I believe a bad parking prawl. Some people say the old 5spd was more durable, but I've never seen one thread where anyone had issues with the 6spd. Mine still shifts smooth as silk, after 10 years and 105k. Sorry to go off topic.

I would absolutely agree that these new cop cars are going to cost more for maintenance, repairs, etc. Those panther cars are indestructible, with a solid rear axle and a bulletproof drivetrain.
Old 11-26-13, 11:33 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That legacyGt cruiser is sickkkkkk