Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looked at the new Camry up close with a friend who interested in one-my feelings...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 05:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Looked at the new Camry up close with a friend who interested in one-my feelings...

Went to a dealer with a friend who was interested in a Camry SE or maybe Hybrid.
First time I was in a new design Camry and drove one.Drove both last night.

I was pleasantly surprised with the look of the SE close up.Really liked it in silver.The wheels were great and added very much to the look.The rear bumper cover has some lower design and dual exhaust which made it look nicer than the other Camry models bland flat look.Still can't get by those taillight but the bumper design toned the ugly rear look down a lot somehow to me.The front look also looked much better than the other models.Especially with the SE not have an large gaudy chrome trim around the fog lights.
No leather in the SE.Not available according to the salesman.It's a leatherette with faux suede center inserts which I didn't like.
Other things I didn't like was no dual zone climate control either.NAV screen was way too small.No heated/dimming side mirrors,blind spot monitors and a few other items like those which you can't get on a SE but can on the hybrid and probably the gas XLE.
Took it for a ride and the handling was decent,the ride was a bit stiff but ok.On the negative side the interior noise on the highway was pretty loud.Especially the loud 18" lower profile tire roar.

Now the hybrid.
It's available with full leather seating area,blind spot monitor,dual zone climate control,bigger 7" NAV screen and better 10 speaker JBL radio you can't get on the SE.A few other nice features I don't remember not available in the SE.The hybrid was $3300 more than the SE at $35600.Well worth if you can get by the SE being so much nicer looking.
I found the hybrid design boring and ugly.Somehow the SE looks so much better.
I didn't like the 17" wheel design,no black interior availability,that rear bland bumper cover,gaudy chrome fog light trim,front design.Just the whole look of the car.
Ride quality and quiet was much better in the hybrid than the SE.Smoother ride and quieter.
Having had an '11 Camry hybrid with every option that I dumped and getting rear ended,I can say the '11 was so much smoother riding and much quieter ride too.Very noticeable to me immediately which was a turn off for me on the '12.
However,the '12 was quicker and the steering was more tight.
My buddy felt somewhat like I did but likes the SE.
However,he still will shop and look at the Maxima,S60 etc.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-13-12 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 07:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I thought it was odd when we were told no leather in the SE.
I just checked on Edmunds and leather is available in the SE and it had it.
Also the hybrid has the same leather and suede seat inserts.
This salesman didn't even know the product.

SE Leather Package $1050
Leather-trimmed Ultrasuede seats; Leather door trim with integrated armrests; Multi-stage heated front seats; Four-way power adjustable front passenger seat

Hybrid XLE Leather Package $1160.
Leather-trimmed Ultrasuede seats; Leather door trim with integrated armrests and seatback pockets; Multi-stage heated front seats; Four-way power adjustable front passenger seat

He seems to be correct on the other options issues,though.
Old 03-13-12, 08:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

He probably didn't have one on the lot.
Old 03-13-12, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

According to the official Camry website, full-smooth-leather seats (without the suede-inserts) are available only on the XLE models.....you can't get them on the SE or Hybrid models. Other models have either fabric, Sport-fabric, or leather with the suede-inserts.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html

The suede-inserts, though, serve a purpose....some full-leather seats are quite slippery, and you tend to slide around in them without the extra grip on your backside that the suede provides.
Old 03-13-12, 09:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
He probably didn't have one on the lot.
No fully equipped Hybrid XLE in stock but the SE seemed to have everything option available according to Edmunds.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
According to the official Camry website, full-smooth-leather seats (without the suede-inserts) are available only on the XLE models.....you can't get them on the SE or Hybrid models. Other models have either fabric, Sport-fabric, or leather with the suede-inserts.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html

The suede-inserts, though, serve a purpose....some full-leather seats are quite slippery, and you tend to slide around in them without the extra grip on your backside that the suede provides.
I don't like the suede inserts,Mike.I'd rather have full leather.So the salesman was correct on the XLE having a full leather option.The test ride was in a $31K hybrid with the suede inserts.
I'll have to mention that to my buddy who i just spoke to.
If I were buying the car,I would have researched before hitting the dealer.My buddy,not so much.
I guess he'll do more research after looking at all the cars he is interested in.
Old 03-13-12, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I thought it was odd when we were told no leather in the SE.
I just checked on Edmunds and leather is available in the SE and it had it.
Also the hybrid has the same leather and suede seat inserts.
On my sienna SE, I can do without the leather b/c the faux leather/suede insert does grip your butt better so you don't slide around as much vs. leather

If it had better side bolsters, then leather should be fine.

This salesman didn't even know the product.
No offense to the "knowledgeable salesmen/women" out there, but I think most of us know this
Old 03-13-12, 09:59 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am partial to the fake contrast stitching on the Camry's dash. It makes the car feel more premium than it is.
Old 03-13-12, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

OP so its safe to say you'd take the XLE over the SE! lol
Old 03-13-12, 10:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haitwun
I am partial to the fake contrast stitching on the Camry's dash. It makes the car feel more premium than it is.
The dash and dials still looks plasticy to me but could be worse.
Old 03-13-12, 10:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
OP so its safe to say you'd take the XLE over the SE! lol
I can see why the SE sales are up 35%.It's the only model Camry I would consider if i was looking at the Camry.Just has a nicer look all around
Old 03-13-12, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Went to a dealer with a friend who was interested in a Camry SE or maybe Hybrid.
First time I was in a new design Camry and drove one.Drove both last night.

I was pleasantly surprised with the look of the SE close up.Really liked it in silver.The wheels were great and added very much to the look.The rear bumper cover has some lower design and dual exhaust which made it look nicer than the other Camry models bland flat look.Still can't get by those taillight but the bumper design toned the ugly rear look down a lot somehow to me.The front look also looked much better than the other models.Especially with the SE not have an large gaudy chrome trim around the fog lights.
No leather in the SE.Not available according to the salesman.It's a leatherette with faux suede center inserts which I didn't like.
Other things I didn't like was no dual zone climate control either.NAV screen was way too small.No heated/dimming side mirrors,blind spot monitors and a few other items like those which you can't get on a SE but can on the hybrid and probably the gas XLE.
Took it for a ride and the handling was decent,the ride was a bit stiff but ok.On the negative side the interior noise on the highway was pretty loud.Especially the loud 18" lower profile tire roar.

Now the hybrid.
It's available with full leather seating area,blind spot monitor,dual zone climate control,bigger 7" NAV screen and better 10 speaker JBL radio you can't get on the SE.A few other nice features I don't remember not available in the SE.The hybrid was $3300 more than the SE at $35600.Well worth if you can get by the SE being so much nicer looking.
I found the hybrid design boring and ugly.Somehow the SE looks so much better.
I didn't like the 17" wheel design,no black interior availability,that rear bland bumper cover,gaudy chrome fog light trim,front design.Just the whole look of the car.
Ride quality and quiet was much better in the hybrid than the SE.Smoother ride and quieter.
Having had an '11 Camry hybrid with every option that I dumped and getting rear ended,I can say the '11 was so much smoother riding and much quieter ride too.Very noticeable to me immediately which was a turn off for me on the '12.
However,the '12 was quicker and the steering was more tight.
My buddy felt somewhat like I did but likes the SE.
However,he still will shop and look at the Maxima,S60 etc.
Congrats!!! You didn't like the car. To each his own. The new Camry is not for everyone.

One thing is for certain is that the new Camry is much better than the low rent rental car feeling of the last gen model.

Good luck with the Maxima, someone should tell you they are in a different class.
Old 03-13-12, 10:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Congrats!!! You didn't like the car. To each his own. The new Camry is not for everyone.

One thing is for certain is that the new Camry is much better than the low rent rental car feeling of the last gen model.

Good luck with the Maxima, someone should tell you they are in a different class.
First of all the shopping was not for me.
Second of all I actually liked the SE a lot more than I thought I would.Just doesn't have enough goodies like the XLE if I were looking at the Camry.

Say what you want about the last generation but I can tell you that my '11 Camry hybrid had a much quieter and smoother ride.
However,the new Camry hybrid handles and has tighter steering which is a plus to some.
As far as what class the Maxima is in,I don't really care.I'm not shopping it and don't have any interest in visiting the dealer with my buddy and looking at it.I'll tag long when he looks at the S60.
I did want to go with my buddy to see,sit in and drive the Camry.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-13-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 11:00 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing I can complain about on my 2012 is the HVAC ***** feel kind of lame. But other then that no complaints.
Old 03-13-12, 11:20 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all the shopping was not for me.
Second of all I actually liked the SE a lot more than I thought I would.Just doesn't have enough goodies like the XLE if I were looking at the Camry.
The previous generation SE was the same way. You could get leather, but were stuck with regular climate control and didn't have the extra display in the guage cluster.

If the SE could be loaded up with the lux features of the XLE I might have ended up with that instead of my ES350.

I like the look of the SE, but not sure I would have enjoyed the tighter suspension. The ES is "just right" when comparing to my previous LS400 and Maxima SE I had before that. People who think the ES rides like a boat obviously are younger and didn't grow up in American vehicles of the 80s.
Old 03-13-12, 11:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadMax96
The previous generation SE was the same way. You could get leather, but were stuck with regular climate control and didn't have the extra display in the guage cluster.

If the SE could be loaded up with the lux features of the XLE I might have ended up with that instead of my ES350.

I like the look of the SE, but not sure I would have enjoyed the tighter suspension. The ES is "just right" when comparing to my previous LS400 and Maxima SE I had before that. People who think the ES rides like a boat obviously are younger and didn't grow up in American vehicles of the 80s.
Matt,I had a '73 Coupe DeVille in '75 when I was in my 20's.Soft ride and real soft leather that cracked quick..
I'm getting a bit tired of the 'sportiness' of my IS350.I'm missing the ride quality of my former ES and fighting the urge to get a '12 ES even though the new one is out in Sept.Good deals and incentives on the ES out there.

Quick Reply: Looked at the new Camry up close with a friend who interested in one-my feelings...