Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota aims to build tens of thousands of hydrogen cars in the next decade

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 07:47 AM
LexFather

Post Toyota aims to build tens of thousands of hydrogen cars in the next decade

http://www.inautonews.com/toyota-aim...he-next-decade

Toyota wants to make thousands of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles a year in the next decade as demand for environmentally-friendly cars will rise.

By 2015, the Japanese carmaker intends to sell hydrogen cars based on the FCV-R concept car it displays at the Geneva Motor Show.
“We are preparing to be able to produce tens of thousands per year in the 2020s,” Didier Leroy, head of Toyota’s European operations, was quoted as saying by Automotive News. Toyota hasn’t yet made public the price or marketing plans for fuel-cell cars and hasn’t yet set a global sales target.

Toyota said it’s reducing cost and technical obstacles that have kept hydrogen fuel-cell cars from being sold to retail customers. Hydrogen’s appeal as a fuel is its abundance and ability to propel vehicles to distances comparable to gasoline. Its main disadvantages are the high cost of producing the fuel cells themselves, and the investment necessary to equip fuel stations to dispense hydrogen fuel.

Old 03-08-12, 09:34 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW tried that with a 5 series that included a hydrogen fuel cell made by Magna. Didn't sell very well, particularly because of costs (would go down with volume) and lack of refueling infrastructure (arguably easier to retrofit existing gas stations with a hydrogen pump). Hybrid electric is an intermediate technology in my opinion, hydrogen is where the future of clean portable energy is at. As far as fixed energy (houses, buildings, etc) it's going be solar, wind or hydro electricity depending on situation, location and political will (for the NIMBY in all of us).

PS: NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard
Old 03-08-12, 10:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i really hope this works out. viable hydrogen cars + infrastructure would be a game changer.
Old 03-08-12, 12:42 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really hope this works out. viable hydrogen cars + infrastructure would be a game changer.
Problem is Hydrogen is limitless and too easy to produce - Big Wigs are making sure they have a way to control it before it becomes a gamechanger.
Old 03-08-12, 12:46 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Problem is Hydrogen is limitless and too easy to produce - Big Wigs are making sure they have a way to control it before it becomes a gamechanger.
Harnessing hydrogen into a useable, transportable and refillable power source is actually an engineering nightmare. But once that technology is mastered, the supply is cheap, so yes, that is a big threat to the oil industry of today.
Old 03-08-12, 01:13 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Harnessing hydrogen into a useable, transportable and refillable power source is actually an engineering nightmare. But once that technology is mastered, the supply is cheap, so yes, that is a big threat to the oil industry of today.
true it is only easy to produce on a small scale - which some individuals are successfully producing on their own, but on a larger supply/demand scale that would take some technological advances to catch up to Gasoline production levels.
Old 03-08-12, 02:42 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Make the infrastructure for it and they'll have less problems implementing it. Plug in hybrids are still experiencing that problem right now. The issue is that no one wants to pay for the stations pretty much. When there are no stations, then not many will consider it
Old 03-08-12, 02:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They said the same thing about hybrids 20 years ago.

And we all know how that turned out...
Old 03-08-12, 07:44 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HYDROGEN POWER!!! This is where the government can affect change. Companies don't have the power to change infrastructure. Let car companies know progress is being made and I'm sure consumers will respond.

Sign me up for a hydrogen powered car when they start at under $40K.
Old 03-08-12, 08:12 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we are not running out of gas in the next 20 years, which is enough time for us get and master hydrogen cars on the road. Everything else has pretty much been a fad that without funding \ incentives these alt energy ideas are dead before they start.

So 10 years ago if we started to move to diesel, and used our engineering efforts on hydrogen instead of alt energy \ bio this and that, hybrids, where are we right now? Worse case we have some cars \ suv's with high tq diesel engines much sooner....
Old 03-08-12, 08:53 PM
eoncathell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting hydrogen power would be a great change that an also effect environment on the positive side!! Hydrogen is available abundantly, can be reusable easy go chemical that make us get rid of these oils(crude, petrol,) which are highly harmful...

Car Parts

Last edited by eoncathell; 03-16-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 06:52 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Why do I get a feeling that despite the head start Honda has had with the FCX Clarity (amazing car), Toyota will quickly overtake Honda in the hydrogen car field? Toyota seems to have that drive that Honda does not and I believe them when they say they will push to bring costs down to make hydrogen cars affordable, while Honda's FCX Clarity or whatever product vehicle it will evolve to will probably become a niche of a niche. Actually, that will probably happen.
Old 03-09-12, 06:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Make the infrastructure for it and they'll have less problems implementing it. Plug in hybrids are still experiencing that problem right now. The issue is that no one wants to pay for the stations pretty much. When there are no stations, then not many will consider it
Don't forget that it takes a hell of a long time to get a decent charge on one too
Old 03-09-12, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
BMW tried that with a 5 series that included a hydrogen fuel cell made by Magna. Didn't sell very well, particularly because of costs (would go down with volume) and lack of refueling infrastructure (arguably easier to retrofit existing gas stations with a hydrogen pump). Hybrid electric is an intermediate technology in my opinion, hydrogen is where the future of clean portable energy is at. As far as fixed energy (houses, buildings, etc) it's going be solar, wind or hydro electricity depending on situation, location and political will (for the NIMBY in all of us).

PS: NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard
Why not? If hydrogen is that clean (which, BTW, I agree with), then you shouldn't have any objections.
Old 03-09-12, 12:24 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the government/renewal energy companies need to get it straightened out whether or not we want hydrogen cars or do we want plug in electric cars. Looks like we are moving towards plug in, but I dont want to see all this money going into creating charging stations at every parking meter and then we find out 10 years later that hydrogen is the answer and then we need to build hydrogen stations

Quick Reply: Toyota aims to build tens of thousands of hydrogen cars in the next decade