Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars

Old 05-22-12, 09:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, it's all a moot point anyway. The problem is that Lexus never made what I would call true entry-level luxury vehicles anyway. The HS250, in many ways, is more of a Toyota than a Lexus........even more so with the CT200h, which, for a Lexus-badged vehicle, significantly lacks refinement, quietness, and ride-comfort. The HS and CT are good cars in what they do (and have proven very reliable), but you can't, IMO, call them luxury-grade vehicles by any stretch.

Believe it or not, the closest thing I've seen, in today's market, to a true (below 30K) entry-level luxury-vehicle is the new Buick Verano.
Sorry have to disagree here. They feel like luxury cars, have features of luxury cars that non luxury cars don't offer and are built like luxury cars.

I can name about 1,000 things the HS and CT have that the Verano can't even spell let alone offer, sorry Mike.

I bet not one Buick offers HUD or Semi-analine leather let alone a real hybrid option. The hybrid powertrain in both cars are substantially more advanced than in any Buick. Don't forget I am a huge Buick fan and supporter as you know.

Lexus has said the CT is it and the upcoming CX will be the new entry level SUV. No reason to go below that. Dealer also want some more expensive product with bigger margins for them to sell and profit off of.

Old 05-22-12, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry have to disagree here. They feel like luxury cars, have features of luxury cars that non luxury cars don't offer and are built like luxury cars.

Lexus has said the CT is it and the upcoming CX will be the new entry level SUV. No reason to go below that. Dealer also want some more expensive product with bigger margins for them to sell and profit off of.
Well, Mike, we're just going to have to disagree like gentlemen on this one. Sure, the CT has slick-upholstered seats (it's not real leather, but looks and feels like it) and some Lexus luxury-features inside. But, IMO, it drives pretty much like what it is...a small, light, stiffly-sprung, firm-riding, and somewhat noisy (for a Lexus) poorly-insulated hatchback. I mentioned, in my CT review, that I thought it would be better marketed as a Toyota than a Lexus, and, in your reply at the time, you said that I had made a fair write-up. Consumer Reports, BTW, also agreed.

Now, of course, the CT has its good points, too. Its reliabilty, as expected, is first-rate. It gets great gas mileage (though not quite that of the drivetrain-sharing Prius). It will (likely ) have low depreciation and good resale value from high demand. It's more versatile in cargo-space than an HS, and, from its small size, very easy to park. But, in my book, it is simply not what I would call a luxury car.
Old 05-23-12, 06:03 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I bet not one Buick offers HUD or Semi-analine leather let alone a real hybrid option. The hybrid powertrain in both cars are substantially more advanced than in any Buick. Don't forget I am a huge Buick fan and supporter as you know.
The Buick Lacrosse is available with a heads up display. Historically, General Motors has made more affordable cars with a heads up display than any other manufacturer. Quite a few Pontiac and Saab models were equipped with this feature.
Old 05-23-12, 07:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

As I see it, it's all a moot point anyway. The problem is that Lexus never made what I would call true entry-level luxury vehicles anyway. The HS250, in many ways, is more of a Toyota than a Lexus........even more so with the CT200h, which, for a Lexus-badged vehicle, significantly lacks refinement, quietness, and ride-comfort. The HS and CT are good cars in what they do (and have proven very reliable), but you can't, IMO, call them luxury-grade vehicles by any stretch.

Believe it or not, the closest thing I've seen, in today's market, to a true (below 30K) entry-level luxury-vehicle is the new Buick Verano.
So, how would you classify the Mercedes A and B class? Many "non luxury" models from other brands are better equipped and more refined than those ...
Old 05-23-12, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
So, how would you classify the Mercedes A and B class?
I haven't had a chance to actually drive one (or to even sit in one), so I'm going to have to pass on that question for now. Mercedes still (stubbornly) refuses to bring them to the U.S.
Old 05-23-12, 09:52 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I haven't had a chance to actually drive one (or to even sit in one), so I'm going to have to pass on that question for now. Mercedes still (stubbornly) refuses to bring them to the U.S.
Take a Canadian vacation. The MB B-Class has been available here for a number of years; my neighbour drives one.

Hatchbacks may be louder than sedans because the rear wheel wells are not isolated from the passenger compartment by the enclosed trunk. And the CT is meant to be sporty Lexus model so its suspension will be harsher than the ES or LS.
Old 05-23-12, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu

Hatchbacks may be louder than sedans because the rear wheel wells are not isolated from the passenger compartment by the enclosed trunk.
Yes...that has been true for decades (also was the caes with wagons). But even sedans can be noisy if not well-insulated. The torsion-bar/leaf suspensions (especially in old Chrysler products and before the rubber-isolators were used)) used to have a reputation for transmitting road and tire-noise up into the car's structure. They were noticeably less-quiet than their Ford and GM competition, which usually had coil-springs.

And the CT is meant to be sporty Lexus model so its suspension will be harsher than the ES or LS.
Yes, that's part of it, but other factors play in as well, such as the CT's short wheelbase, low-profile tires, light weight, and low-stance fenders which don't allow much room for up-and-down suspension travel to absorb bumps.