Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brand Perception: some truth and a lot of entertainment value

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 06:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I know lexus' have always been viewed as boring in the past, but what is the gs, is, is-f, and lf-a. I dont really understand what it would take for lexus to beat that stigma.
time, consistency, effort, but there's currently a problem... and it's subtle...
lexus is known as comfy quiet unobtrusive, but an IS-F for example is anything but, so it can 'confuse' brand perception. on the other hand, bmw has been known as all sporty and luxury, but not everyone wants a sporty ride and bmw has over time made their rides quieter and cushier but still managed to keep the sporty luxury perception - very impressive.

this is why i think the LF-A, as wonderful as it is, was a gigantic mistake for lexus. it's so rare, so expensive, and so radically different than the rest of the line, that it's jarring one one hand, and kinda irrelevant on another because most will never see one. i think lexus would be far better off spending the money just getting the wheel fitment/stance right on their cars and having less ugly wheels.

however, the f-sport options, while a bit clumsy in execution, is definitely a step in the right direction, but we just need moah!!

about the article - it says lexus are for people who hate cars, which is funny because i've always said that's toyota for the most part. lexus is for people who hate cars but want to show off their prosperity but not too much to look tacky or to be thought of as showing off.
Old 02-23-12, 07:59 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
time, consistency, effort, but there's currently a problem... and it's subtle...
lexus is known as comfy quiet unobtrusive, but an IS-F for example is anything but, so it can 'confuse' brand perception. on the other hand, bmw has been known as all sporty and luxury, but not everyone wants a sporty ride and bmw has over time made their rides quieter and cushier but still managed to keep the sporty luxury perception - very impressive.

this is why i think the LF-A, as wonderful as it is, was a gigantic mistake for lexus. it's so rare, so expensive, and so radically different than the rest of the line, that it's jarring one one hand, and kinda irrelevant on another because most will never see one. i think lexus would be far better off spending the money just getting the wheel fitment/stance right on their cars and having less ugly wheels.

however, the f-sport options, while a bit clumsy in execution, is definitely a step in the right direction, but we just need moah!!

about the article - it says lexus are for people who hate cars, which is funny because i've always said that's toyota for the most part. lexus is for people who hate cars but want to show off their prosperity but not too much to look tacky or to be thought of as showing off.
I would have to agree^^ as much as I disagree with the writer of the article.

All of BMW's vehicles have sports and handling DNA in them, whereas Lexus only has a few. As great as the few products are, it's not enough for these enthusiast writers to take notice. One day...
Old 02-23-12, 09:04 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I know lexus' have always been viewed as boring in the past, but what is the gs, is, is-f, and lf-a. I dont really understand what it would take for lexus to beat that stigma.
Stigma never goes away.
Old 02-23-12, 01:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If Lexus is never looked at as been sporty our fun that'll be fine with me. Actually thats the reason I and so many other folks bought our Lexus in the first place. Being sporty is not the end all, be all of the auto world. Lexus should keep whatever sport models it has and keep them as is. As for the other models, leave it be. Dont make the LS into a 7series or the RX into a Q7. This obsession with making all cars some sort of track vehicle is ridiculous. The soft, plush, boring, I-hate-cars motto is what made lexus so successful in the first place. Why in the world would they wanna get away from that???