Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW-2012 CLS 63 tuned by RennTech

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 06:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by adamls2
I want to do a stage one on my car but I am still not bored with the power...hell i'm not even use to it yet LOL!!
Do it and put 250 emblems on your car

Originally Posted by UZ214
Thanks for the review, i truly enjoyed reading it. Have to agree with you the German crowd is getting more attractive day by day.
Thanks! Agreed, German cars looking gooood
Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Very nice review

Makes me want to get behind the wheel of that beast
Thanks!

Originally Posted by rominl
fantastic review.

so far i have only heard good things about the new tt setup on the mb lineup. though i have to say not sure about it yet when warranty is up
Thanks! Yeah most continue to be leased.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow this was an epic read Mike

I'm stoked to hear how positive this car is! To me the CLS is already a gorgeous luxury sport sedan. Its sharp and aggressive. The RennTech tune and Vossen wheels really set off this particular CLS
Agreed. Thanks for the compliments!

Originally Posted by DustinV
Nice review.

I imagine this thing would be even more brutal with AWD allowing all that power to be split to four wheels instead of two!
It would be safer but not as cool and heavier. RWD for me.

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Nice write up Mike. The CLS looks amazing.
Thanks

Originally Posted by TripleL
Excellent write up and read Mike, thank you

Those hp and torque improvements are crazy, I can see why those adaptive seats would be so nice.
I love being touched by the car in the car.

Originally Posted by bad co
Great review!! It's amazing that car get 25mpg on the highway. It show's that you can increase performance w/o killing MPG.
Thanks, agreed but we probably get like 15 MPG

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Awesome review, Mike! And the wheel fits the car perfectly.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by lex1420
Sooo sick in white!
The MAtte paint is sick

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great write-up, Mike.....and an awesome car. I've full-reviewed C63 and E63 AMGs, a Panamera, and a Jag XKR drop-top, but not quite something like what you had there. But, in general, just about all of those hand-built AMG powerplants are something else.

I'll respect your opinion (styling, of course, is subjective), but I never cared for the CLS's coupe-sedan styling (or the similiar VW CC) and their small, peep-hole side-windows. I like plenty of visibility out when I drive.

Did you have the VSC turned off? If it is working properly, the VSC and traction-control should keep the rear-wheels in line, even if that means shutting down some fuel-flow and backing-off on the power a little (or using the individual rear-brakes)

Doesn't run a lot more than that, though, with the Renn-Tech package? Renn-Tech stuff isn't cheap.

So that Matte-White paint-job is better than the Lexus/Infiniti/Cadillac/Audi Pearl-Oyster-White? Again, I'll take your word for it as to your opinion (you inspect and review a lot of cars, like I do).....but I'd still like to see it for myself if I get a chance. Among white paint jobs, IMO, it's HARD to beat the job that the four companies I just listed do with the Pearl-Effect-White.

I'm not sure what you mean by "aspirational"? By that term, do you mean six-figure cars that many buyers can't afford? I've done a few of those myself, and, yes, they can be a real treat to drive and write-up (driving that supercharged Jag XKR convertible, for instance, for a recent Holiday-Review, was like dating a supermodel). Even though this forum is for general car-chat, it's no secret that many members in on it (being part of a larger, primarily-Lexus forum) have money and are relatively well-off. But, at the same time, I get review-requests, both on and off-CL, for everything from 10-15K econoboxes to 100K+ luxury and sports-cars. Some people either don't have a lot to spend on a new car, or thay have it and simply prefer to spend it on a cheaper car.......or on something else.
Mike to answer
1. Yes the powerplant is amazing.
2. I found visibility to be fine, I expected worse.
3. VSC was off most of the time for the most fun. This enabled the rear to swing out for some grins.
4. RennTech stuff isn't cheap but IMO worth the money. I believe the ECU upgrade is around $3500. Well worth it to me and nothing if you already own a 100k plus car. They have an incredible reputation for quality and excellence.
5. Being its Matte I can't compare to others b/c they don't offer Matte. I can tell the paint is of high quality and I didn't see any chips anywhere. It is a PITA to maintain though and you can't take care of it like regular paint.
6. I aspire to drive higher and better. That is what interests me.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-07-12 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Remove quoted deleted post and reply

Old 02-07-12, 09:52 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Whoa! there's no denying the insane power of the amg, let alone a renntech

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-07-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-07-12, 10:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Guys , please don't comment about the OP or any other members , only comment about the car and the review, I have removed the problematic posts , thanks
Old 02-07-12, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome back, Andrew. Haven't seen you much in CAR CHAT lately. Been in the LS/GS-forums most of the time?
Old 02-08-12, 12:11 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL the car is on Renntech's website http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/566

that's pretty cool... I also found that for my car it is now $2450 for stage 1 rather than 4k+ that I remember from not too long ago... but I guess like Mike said that the amount for that much power, especially for a car that cost that much, is kind of a bargain...
Old 03-25-13, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Just an update as I've been spending quite some time in this vehicle. Three things that I wish were better were

1. No HUD...I always find the steering wheel in the way of the speedometer so I have to move it where I don't want.
2 No interior LEDs. Odd, it has the orange ambiant lighting but all the interior lights are old school halogen yellow. Yuck.
3. Small NAV screen. Its tiny but with decent graphics. I don't use it, I just use my phone. When you use the GS huge screen it just spoils you.

I know this might sound crazy but I think I PREFER the "Command" system than remote touch. Seriously, not joiking. I have gotten used to the **** and its quicker and easier to move to me. No I am not on a "Molly" I am serious. I really like it and I find it easy to use.

The looks this car gets is jaw-dropping. My wife always comments "people are always staring at it". Hilarious. It sounds powerful even with the stock exhaust. This design has been around a couple of years now (I think 3+) and people love it and are always positively commenting on it.

Sport + mode is really different than Comfort. The tranny shifts with authority though still smooth and the gearing is much more aggressive. There is absolutely NEVER an issue with passing power, not even close. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

It drinks. I mean it drinks gas. Surely not an issue with this type of car's demographic but compared to the GS 450h its hilariously funny if you drive it around.

The seats are amazing still and there is more room in this vehicle than you would think. The rear is actually fine with the front seats moved up and the trunk is ample and has a great shape.

Acceleration continues to be out of this world. You want to impress someone and show them a fast car, floor it...the immediate push back in the seat is hilarious with passengers

For 2014, all CLS 63s now have 550hp and are now all AWD. I understand but to me this RWD one then feels even more sexy knowing that it is quite dangerous if you are not careful.

To say I am not completely smitten by this beast is an understatement.......

Old 03-25-13, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

There is absolutely NEVER an issue with passing power, not even close. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Yep, the 63-class AMGs will definitely get out of their own way. The last couple I tried out felt stronger than many of the classic Hemi/427/428-class muscle-cars I grew up with. I didn't actually floor the E63 I was driving with the TC / VSC turned off, but, if I had, I'm confident that it would have easily smoked the rear tires for a solid quarter-mile, like the original Shelby AC 427 Cobra.

It drinks. I mean it drinks gas. Surely not an issue with this type of car's demographic but compared to the GS 450h its hilariously funny if you drive it around.
Several of the AMGs (I'm not sure about them all) get the Federal Gas Guzzler Tax....for obvious reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-25-13, 11:55 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue, I'm so envious.

But thanks for sharing. I can live vicariously through your review.

That engine sounds BEASTLY. How's the exhaust note from inside the car?
Old 03-25-13, 12:24 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Stuff. This, in white, is what I dream of.