Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SRT offers up first 2013 Dodge Viper teaser

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 04:01 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front definitely speaks with current Ferrari design language. Dare I say its better than F12?

But the rest of the body does not fit right somehow, its too thick compared to the front.
Old 04-04-12, 06:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Front definitely speaks with current Ferrari design language. Dare I say its better than F12?

But the rest of the body does not fit right somehow, its too thick compared to the front.
Not surprising, it's a mash-up of Italian and American styling.
Old 04-04-12, 06:50 PM
LexFather

I absolutely love it!!!!

Old 04-04-12, 07:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks very good, they did not stray far from the original styling and it is instantly recognizable as a Viper. Interior is very much improved over the horrible previous versions interiors. It is good seeing automakers not abandoning legendary sports/muscle cars and making new versions. Performance should be incredible while still being raw like the last one.
Old 04-04-12, 07:17 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Headlights look like something off a Merc.....not really diggin that, but otherwise it's a beauty.

Looks like an older Viper bred with a Ferrari and which ended up being born blind, so they replaced it's eyes with the Merc's Gullwing eyes.
Old 04-04-12, 08:20 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks more first-gen Viper than anything in my eyes, with the headlamps clearly resembling the snake eyes on the new Viper logo, and the new grille being an aggressive interpretation of the new corporate visage. The only borrowed cue that ascribes to today's styling trends are the outer ducts at the edge of that front bumper. Other than that it is very unique.

I never thought the SRT-10 Coupe looked quite right, and always had the wrong name. I feel that this is a wonderfully-executed successor that embodies everything that makes a '96 Viper GTS so badass.

Well done Dodge (err... SRT).

I am a little disappointed in having "only" 640hp, I was guessing more like 660hp but I'm sure it is going to perform amazingly on a track.
Keep in mind, it's light compared to most cars today. The SRT version weighs in at 3,143lbs, giving it a 4.91lbs/hp weight/power figure. That's better than the Corvette ZR-1, and the Aventador for that matter. It seems like 640hp should be plenty.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 04-04-12 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Corrected weight figure.
Old 04-04-12, 08:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I don't see the arguments about European cues. It seems to be an evolution that incorporates Chrysler's new, more sophisticated design language. It looks more first-gen Viper than anything in my eyes, with the headlamps clearly resembling the snake eyes on the new Viper logo, and the new grille being an aggressive interpretation of the new corporate visage. The only borrowed cue that ascribes to today's styling trends are the outer ducts at the edge of that front bumper. Other than that it is very unique.

I never thought the SRT-10 Coupe looked quite right, and always had the wrong name. I feel that this is a wonderfully-executed successor that embodies everything that makes a '96 Viper GTS so badass.

Well done Dodge (err... SRT).

Keep in mind, it's light compared to most cars today. The SRT version weighs in at 3,177lbs, giving it a 4.96lbs/hp weight/power figure. That's better than the Corvette ZR-1, and the Aventador for that matter. It seems like 640hp should be plenty.
I agree with everything you said, I never warmed up to the looks of the SRT-10 Coupe or Vert compared to the Gen II.

As for the power I also agree, I just thought they pushed it to 640hp only to out do the ZR1 by 2hp for bragging rights. However, one of the biggest changes from the past Vipers is the gearing, 3:55 vs. 3:07 they had every year previously. That was the biggest reason it's performance was not greater or lagged behind the competition especially when the Z06 had 3:42 gears and was lighter.

I'm glad I just sold my Viper a couple weeks ago because the Gen II owners who never really warmed up to the Gen III/IV may be flooding the market with theirs to get the new model. I took a leap of faith and I think it is going to work out well. I was considering the GTR but with the Viper's base price at $95k, they are in the same ballpark.

Last edited by patgilm; 04-04-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 08:29 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

bada$$. hmmmm, was thinking GTR but i dont know now
Attached Thumbnails SRT offers up first 2013 Dodge Viper teaser-srtvipergts.jpg  
Old 04-05-12, 08:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting point that has been brought up. This does, to me, easily blow away the GT-R in terms of styling. Performance is a separate discussion, but we know the V10 will sound better than the GT-R.
Old 04-05-12, 05:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

turn up your speakers

Old 04-05-12, 05:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

nice little video but it didn't reveal much about the exhaust note :/
Old 04-05-12, 07:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I. Want. One.

Old 04-05-12, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I. Want. One.

It is badass

Old 04-05-12, 08:47 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I absolutely love this car. Glad someone is still making true manual RWD sports cars.
Old 04-05-12, 08:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
I absolutely love this car. Glad someone is still making true manual RWD sports cars.
+1 its nostalgic

a part of me does wonder how much faster it would be with an optional DCT

Quick Reply: SRT offers up first 2013 Dodge Viper teaser