Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got an offer on my car and now feeling sellers remorse :/

Old 01-28-12, 11:39 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Got an offer on my car and now feeling sellers remorse :/

Probably feel better about it if I hadn't just sunk money into new tires, front breaks and had to have the damn rear subwoofer replaced (I don't even turn the damn thing up).

The offer I got on it is a couple hundred over KBB but of course doesn't take into account the fact that it has a full dealer installed L-tuned package which cost me thousands of dollars. I guess they always say that you can't expect to make any money back on modifications. :/ OEM wheels are going with is so I guess I can sell the nice *** GT3s and make some of it back as well as the OEM parts removed during the L-tuned install. Still not making me feel better about it though.

The damn sub-woofer is really what's making my guts churn. 200 in labor and basically retail (300) on the woofer itself. Doesn't hurt that I love this car and probably have too much emotional attachment to it. It's still freaking awesome looking/sounding/driving.

Someone make me feel better about selling this car please. hehe.
Old 01-28-12, 12:19 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Selling a car you put some hard work and effort into modifying is always rough. But think of it this way, you might stumble upon a new car that you'll have the urge to put your personal taste toward. But in the meantime, your insurance policy should be reduced with just the one vehicle, according to your sig. Also, it gives you time to research on your next vehicle, whether actually new or old. Sure you put in some money for newer parts right before you sold your car, but getting top value for your vehicle could be dumped into a high yielding CD from a bank so that when you're ready to pick another car, the funds will be available. No need to feel down. One door closes, and another one is ready for you to open.
Old 01-28-12, 12:21 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Doesnt hurt to sell the sub. Maybe replace it with a cheaper aftermarket one for 20-30 bucks off craigslist. I know how u feel man. Well if its not the right time for u to let it go, dont.

All in all best of luck in whatever u decide to do.
Old 01-28-12, 12:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I remember trading in my G35 with 12k in mods for a brand new stock 3GS. I swear to God I was about to start tearing when I pulled away from the dealership and saw my car sitting there in the parking lot. Same with my 3GS that was modified. I traded it in for the LS at a dealership near my office and every day for 3 weeks I would drive to work and see my car on their spinning car display on sales display. It killed me to see that beautiful lowered car that I loved so much while driving a bone stock LS. I still miss those cars today
Old 01-28-12, 01:06 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll always hate yourself if you sell it feeling wishy-washy. Better to keep it and do the up-keep it needs.
Old 01-28-12, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hohlraum
Probably feel better about it if I hadn't just sunk money into new tires, front breaks and had to have the damn rear subwoofer replaced (I don't even turn the damn thing up).

Someone make me feel better about selling this car please. hehe.
Well, if I were in your shoes, even if I missed the car, I myself would at least feel good about selling the car with new tires/brakes (even if it cost you some $$$$$) and lessing the chances that the person you sold it to would wind up with a money-pit or needing major repairs. You can sleep easier at night, and won't have a troubled conscience. You yourself wouldn't want to buy a car with worn brakes or tires, would you?...especially if the price wasn't discounted.

I'm a firm believer in honesty and straightforwardness in car-dealing, whether buying or selling. IMO, selling a used-car with problems you know about, but that the unsuspecting buyer doesn't, is simply wrong. Of course, if the buyer knows there are problems (or will soon be problems), and still agrees to the price as is, then that is another matter.
Old 01-28-12, 05:53 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not counter offer a little higher? Tell them everything you just replaced. Or drive it for another year, blast that subwoofer, and sell next year when you're ready!
Old 01-29-12, 12:53 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Well I think part of it is that it's getting to that age/mileage where lexus is going to want to start doing much more expensive maint work to it and if something goes wrong with various electronics it's going to end up eating a bunch of cash.

Buyer brought his family by and they all thought it was awesome and it looks like it is a done deal. Should have it sold as soon as I get the subwoofer issue worked out. Funny thing is I originally had it listed here on Club Lexus for less than it sold for and was going to include all the new parts that were on the car before the L-Tuned AND I was going to include the 18" wheels in my sig in addition to the OEM wheels that are on it now. Maybe I can make a grand or more on those remaining parts.
Old 01-29-12, 05:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

best of luck... Its always hard when there's emotional attachment involved...
Old 01-29-12, 09:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats the issue with me. I feel like my cars are my friends, hobby, and passion all rolled into one.
Old 01-30-12, 08:58 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm in the market for a gs430 and I feel it's one of those cars that people just have attachments to. Most are one owner and have either been serviced at the dealer their whole lives, have high asking prices, or just have little things added to them that you know the PO owner took pride in doing. Trying to find a black on black 05 gs430 with navi and less then 110k miles is killing me without the owner still Sking 16k+ I am already thinking of the day I sell my es300 it's been in our family for 12 years, it'll be weird not seeing it in the driveway anymore especially for having for so long and almost 200k miles. Thing is it looks brand new
Old 01-30-12, 09:00 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had a hard time selling my modded 3GS as well,,,,funny thing is keep telling myself i will never mod anything on my next car but keep doing it,,,
Old 01-30-12, 01:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my GS with over 15K in mods, he is a client of mine, so everytime he pulls up in front of my office, I feel sad and regret I sold the car.
Old 02-01-12, 10:53 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Well the deal is done and the check deposited. Don't feel bad anymore We're going to look at an RX 350 for my wife and sell her Beetle.