Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What motorsport would you like to see Lexus in the future?
World Touring Car Championship
37.33%
World Speed Challenge
20.00%
American Le Mans Series
37.33%
Formula D
49.33%
SCCA - Club Racing/Rally/Solo
18.67%
Rally America
13.33%
Other - Please Describe
10.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

What motorsport would you like to see Lexus in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 07:20 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus needs to be in something more interesting than NASCAR.
Old 01-19-12, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Lexus needs to be in something more interesting than NASCAR.
Your opinion noted, but I find NASCAR to be, far and away, the most tense and exciting motorsport in the buisness (Not that I like to see crashes......I don't). But, in NASCAR, drifting and cornering on banked ovals just inches from other vehicles all around you is serious buisness, and you've got to know what you are doing and have split-second reflexes/decisions. One false move in a split-second can (and often does) mean a huge pileup with as many as dozens of cars. It is a risky, dangerous buisness.
Old 01-19-12, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah there's no place for Lexus in NASCAR.

Lexus has no place in it either.
Then why is Toyota, the Lexus parent organization, in it? The Camrys and Craftsman trucks have been quite successful. I see no reason why the ES (which is Camry-based) couldn't be either. Decades ago, before NASCAR went mostly to lower-priced makes like Ford/Chevy/Dodge, you saw Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles....even Chryslers and Lincolns.

Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche and etc are not in NASCAR...
Porsches, I can understand, They are mostly sports-cars that are not designed for super-speedways. They are more at home on road-courses, with their superb handling. But I see no reason why Lexus ES/IS/GS models couldn't run on NSACAR tracks.

Well, anyhow, I can see I'm in the minority-view here, so I won't keep pushing it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 08:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then why is Toyota, the Lexus parent organization, in it? The Camrys and Craftsman trucks have been quite successful. I see no reason why the ES (which is Camry-based) couldn't be either. Decades ago, before NASCAR went mostly to lower-priced makes like Ford/Chevy/Dodge, you saw Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles....even Chryslers and Lincolns.
Same question could be asked, why isn't Lincoln putting in the MKZ or Cadillac putting in the Cimmaron ahem Catera/CTS/ATS or whatever? Why not Toyota put in Avalon? The ES wears a luxury nameplate, Camry does not. Fusion, Taurus, Avenger and etc. are models under their respective mainstream brands. We are in 2012, not 1962. NASCAR was still relatively new back then and manufacturers weren't as focused as they are now.

Camry is a great mainstream car and fits the NASCAR theme. In now way the Camry is the pinnacle of motorsports. NASCAR appeal is only in the USA, mainly the South East where Toyota intended to target and gain marketshare.

Porsches, I can understand, They are mostly sports-cars that are not designed for super-speedways. They are more at home on road-courses, with their superb handling. But I see no reason why Lexus ES/IS/GS models couldn't run on NSACAR tracks.
They all serve different purposes. Lexus cars do well in maintaining a good balance of quietness, luxury and performance. IS and GS have the most sporty appeal and agility is a key attribute of these cars. Camry and ES...not so much. IS/GS have no place on a super speedway because they are cars that thrive in chicanes and hairpins...not high speed banking. LFA and IS F are sports cars and they are not designed for super speedways...nor are ES/IS/GS. Lexus was part of Grand Am which is related to the NASCAR family, but Grand Am is all road racing where Team Lexus and Chip Ganassi/Daytona Prototypes won many titles.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-19-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 08:20 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your opinion noted, but I find NASCAR to be, far and away, the most tense and exciting motorsport in the buisness (Not that I like to see crashes......I don't). But, in NASCAR, drifting and cornering on banked ovals just inches from other vehicles all around you is serious buisness, and you've got to know what you are doing and have split-second reflexes/decisions. One false move in a split-second can (and often does) mean a huge pileup with as many as dozens of cars. It is a risky, dangerous buisness.
I completely agree with you, NASCAR is serious and I respect and commend all the guys thats brave enough to race. However, a lot of cars going in an oval for hundreds of miles fails to entertain me like other road racing. But hey, at the end of the day its all a matter it our opinions and preferences.
Old 01-19-12, 10:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

FIA GT1 . I want to see the LFA head to head with Lamborghinis, ferraris, GT40s, and AM
Old 01-20-12, 11:56 AM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they should bring that red 3gs from japan to drift here!!!!!
Old 01-20-12, 02:04 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus is in SuperGT, but I hope that SuperGT and DTM combine and that they use an LFA. This may be a year or 2 away though. GT racing is what Lexus cars should be in, like the LFA, or possibly a new coupe based on the LF-LC. Now that Toyota is back at LeMans this year, I hope they continue on with the hybrid racing. Using this in other series like SuperGT (Prius).
Old 01-20-12, 02:48 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a pretty big motorsports fan and think the IS would fit nicely in the GRAND-AM Gran Touring series alongside some M3s, RX-8s, 370zs etc. It's a smaller series but a lot of fun to watch.

If Lexus had money to throw around a dream combo would be campaigning a LFA with the American Le Mans GT series - I'm sure that would gain Lexus a lot of motorsports exposure.

Last edited by jsl757; 01-20-12 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-20-12, 03:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm happy if they just continue their 24 hours of Nurburgring and LeMans soon.
Old 01-20-12, 05:54 PM
Buku_Bippu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Drift!!! Lets see them bring out an ISF or LFA to the Field! http://youtu.be/xItL_wYZiAw
Old 01-20-12, 06:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Link added for Official Club Lexus Facebook page on post# 1 for those not registered on the forum to vote.

FB Voting page: https://www.facebook.com/questions/4...959/?qa_ref=qd
Old 01-20-12, 08:50 PM
ncorrea
Rookie

Personally I would like to see Lexus in the Grand Touring and Formula D. I would like to see how the performance can keep up if the ISF and LFA platforms are used in the grand touring or endurance racing.

Personally owning a ISF I would like to see the N/A aftermarket products increase and see what other options may be available later down the road.

I tried doing the multiple vote however it didnt allow. Wanted to add the Grand Touring vote in.
Old 01-21-12, 07:24 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
ALMS. Lexus would complete against Ferrari, Corvette, BMW, and many other of the other top sports car manufacturers to directly communicate to their largest market (the USA) that Lexus = Performance. Also, with the ALMS's partnership with the ACO and 24 Hours of Lemans, we'd get to see how (presumably) the LFA would perform against the world's best in a variety of settings - street, endurance, and 24 hour endurance.

Javier

What he said.........right on the nose......and I'd like keep seeing the LFA in more world class sportscar racing around the world also ....that DRC is350 was really badass looking too want to see THAT car drifting....
Old 01-21-12, 07:35 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Same question could be asked, why isn't Lincoln putting in the MKZ or Cadillac putting in the Cimmaron ahem Catera/CTS/ATS or whatever? Why not Toyota put in Avalon? The ES wears a luxury nameplate, Camry does not. Fusion, Taurus, Avenger and etc. are models under their respective mainstream brands. We are in 2012, not 1962. NASCAR was still relatively new back then and manufacturers weren't as focused as they are now.

Camry is a great mainstream car and fits the NASCAR theme. I?n now way the Camry is the pinnacle of motorsports. NASCAR appeal is only in the USA, mainly the South East where Toyota intended to target gain marketshare.

They all serve different purposes. Lexus cars do well in maintaining a good balance of quietness, luxury and performance. IS and GS have the most sporty appeal and agility is a key attribute of these cars. Camry and ES...not so much. IS/GS have no place on a super speedway because they are cars that thrive in chicanes and hairpins...not high speed banking. LFA and IS F are sports cars and they are not designed for super speedways...nor are ES/IS/GS. Lexus was part of Grand Am which is related to the NASCAR family, but Grand Am is all road racing where Team Lexus and Chip Ganassi/Daytona Prototypes won many titles.

NAILED IT.

NAS at can be entertaining but many times they contrive.to create spectacle and dram...debris cautions when no debris exists...inconsistent rules application lots of issues there like most series but Toyota uses it to compete for sales for one make specifically not including trucks....

Lexus is an aspirational brand and thus should target a more progressive demographic.......more educated, more worldly, more technological,...Lexus is not meant for the bubbas and it would be a waste to make a template facsimile of any lexus model for NASCAR use when you understand that all the cars designs are restricted, and the main difference between then is the graphics packages ......

Quick Reply: What motorsport would you like to see Lexus in?