Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trade 2003 LS UL for new 2011 GS450h or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 08:09 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade 2003 LS UL for new 2011 GS450h or not?

EDIT: I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath to see how this turns out. Well, a decision has been made and if you give a rip, see post 32 to see what it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because of the pending 4th generation GS, a local dealer has good deals on 2011 GS 450hs.

My rough math says if I trade in my 2003 LS and lease a GS for 3 years, the cost of driving for the next 3 years would be about the same. But at the end of the 3 years I would turn in the GS and have nothing, whereas if I stick with my LS, at the end of the 3 years I'd have a then 12-year-old LS. I guess insurance and license fees would go up as well. City gas milage would improve a bit with the GS.

The theory is that at the end of the 3-year lease, I could get something new like a GS F or LS F Sport or something to keep me entertained. Also, since it's a lease, I could use the GS as the daily commuter and keep the IS F safe in the garage for weekends.

GS has latest electronics, is faster and handles better.

LS is plusher, quieter and smoother ride and has more room in the back seat and trunk and is pretty nice. Everything still works perfectly on the LS.

What say you all?

Terry in Sunnyvale

Last edited by TerrySmith; 12-18-12 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 08:14 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a personal choice really. What matters more to you? The electronics and performance of the GS or the luxury plush and size of the LS? I'd base your decision off of which one matters more to you!
Old 12-30-11, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you plan to get something in 3 yrs anyway (gsf), might as well stick with the ls430 till then
Old 12-30-11, 11:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Because of the pending 4th generation GS, a local dealer has good deals on 2011 GS 450hs.

My rough math says if I trade in my 2003 LS and lease a GS for 3 years, the cost of driving for the next 3 years would be about the same. But at the end of the 3 years I would turn in the GS and have nothing, whereas if I stick with my LS, at the end of the 3 years I'd have a then 12-year-old LS. I guess insurance and license fees would go up as well. City gas milage would improve a bit with the GS.

The theory is that at the end of the 3-year lease, I could get something new like a GS F or LS F Sport or something to keep me entertained. Also, since it's a lease, I could use the GS as the daily commuter and keep the IS F safe in the garage for weekends.

GS has latest electronics, is faster and handles better.

LS is plusher, quieter and smoother ride and has more room in the back seat and trunk and is pretty nice. Everything still works perfectly on the LS.

What say you all?

Terry in Sunnyvale

Also, whats your monthly fuel bill?
Old 12-31-11, 10:49 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
It's a personal choice really. What matters more to you? The electronics and performance of the GS or the luxury plush and size of the LS? I'd base your decision off of which one matters more to you!
You are correct, but was hoping for some thoughts for others. Not sure if Car Chat is right forum, but since the question involves both an LS and a GS, I did not know where else to put the question.

Thanks for the response.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 12-31-11, 11:02 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spwolf
whats the actual deal like - or rather, what would be the difference vs buying 2013 GS450h, in your monthly payments?

Also, whats your monthly fuel bill?
The 2011 GS has an MSRP of about $64K and the dealer (Lexus of Stevens Creek) has several for around $52K to $54K. The advertised lease price for 3 years is $765/month.

I'm not sure what my 2003 LS UL is worth. It's in great shape, new timing belt, 72K miles, everything works, but has two star cracks on the windshield and several tiny paint chips (exposing primer) on the front from rocks.

My commute is short with lots of stops, very bad way to drive a car, so a lease (or old beater) would be ideal.

Not sure the gas bill would change much because of the short commute, but the hybrid might get 22 MPG for city commute verses 15 to 18 MPG city I get commuting with every car I've used on this commute.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 12-31-11, 11:04 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
if you plan to get something in 3 yrs anyway (gsf), might as well stick with the ls430 till then
That's probably the wisest (though most boring) approach and I think that's what I will do. Turns out it's hard to give up an LS.

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 12-31-11, 02:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The advertised lease price for 3 years is $765/month.

... Not sure the gas bill would change much because of the short commute, but the hybrid might get 22 MPG for city commute verses 15 to 18 MPG city I get commuting with every car I've used on this commute.
you would have to drive about 20,000 a month to have the mpg gain pay for your lease payment.

Originally Posted by rominl
qft.

That's probably the wisest (though most boring) approach and I think that's what I will do. Turns out it's hard to give up an LS.
haha. the only reason to do the lease is if money isn't much of an issue and you're bored of the LS and want something fun and unique to drive for the next 3 years and don't need a lot of trunk space.
Old 12-31-11, 02:19 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the LS and use the money to help you digest the depreciation of driving the IS-F everyday which is far more fun and entertaining.

Wait 3 years, sell IS-F, buy GS-F, repeat
Old 12-31-11, 04:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Sell the LS and use the money to help you digest the depreciation of driving the IS-F everyday which is far more fun and entertaining.

Wait 3 years, sell IS-F, buy GS-F, repeat
I like this plan
Old 12-31-11, 04:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

are u really conzidering tradin a beautiful 430 vvith lovv mileage zo u can leaze a nevver car,,,,,,,,,that iz the vvorzt idea ive heard in a vvhile............... for many reazonz

zorry my keyboard iz broken zo pleaze forigve me zpelling.
Old 12-31-11, 04:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

The 2011 GS has an MSRP of about $64K and the dealer (Lexus of Stevens Creek) has several for around $52K to $54K. The advertised lease price for 3 years is $765/month.

I'm not sure what my 2003 LS UL is worth. It's in great shape, new timing belt, 72K miles, everything works, but has two star cracks on the windshield and several tiny paint chips (exposing primer) on the front from rocks.

My commute is short with lots of stops, very bad way to drive a car, so a lease (or old beater) would be ideal.

Not sure the gas bill would change much because of the short commute, but the hybrid might get 22 MPG for city commute verses 15 to 18 MPG city I get commuting with every car I've used on this commute.

Terry in Sunnyvale
do you know what your monthly bill is for fuel? approx? Because you will probably get 20% better MPG in new 2013 GS... I would say new 2013 GS might be even 20% more efficient than 2011 GSh. So the monthly price difference shrinks by that amount, and you get brand new model, wonderful one, with big trunk, better interior and handling... for probably $50 per month :-)
Old 12-31-11, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Terry in Sunnyvale
Old 01-01-12, 11:31 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

All these ideas have been going through my head and all lead in different directions which causes my indecision.

Another idea is sell the LS and get something cheaper to tear up on my short, cold-engine commutes. Maybe a leased CT200h or even a leased IS250?? I'm warming up to the idea of leasing a car for commuting since that part of my driving is very hard on the car. I don't like using either the IS F or LS for that. The somewhat irrational but not regretted decision to trade in my '99 ES300 for the IS F left me with no appropriate commuter car.

I think the GS450h option is not going to happen at this point.

And doing nothing is easiest.

Anyway, I appreciate all the thoughts. It's made the decision process more fun.
Old 01-01-12, 12:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

A CT200h is a good choice, assuming they are no longer hard to find. I would keep the LS though. You could buy wheels and lower it to make it more exciting. A nice exhaust would be good too.

Quick Reply: Trade 2003 LS UL for new 2011 GS450h or not?