Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz SL News

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 04:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Not sure how familiar you are with pricing of interior changes, but changing the location of air vent tubing is extremely expensive. This is why the ML > GLE and GL > GLS have a bit of a funky nav/air vent solution.

Mercedes is not allowing its more traditional models (E, SL, S) to have the "floating" screen so the design stayed as-is as a result. And truthfully, the materials and craftsmanship are still top notch even if this screen isn't huge. Still looks weird in 2015 to have a screen that small though.
Fair enough, but I think it should have been done for the flagship convertible. They didn't even put the new touch pad in there.
Old 11-14-15, 04:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car facelifted or pre-facelift doesn't have a 1/10 of a charm 2003 model had. Front facia just doesn't work for a car like this nor SLK. I kind of think AMG GT was made to make up the lost cache of current SL as well.
Old 11-16-15, 07:46 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Fair enough, but I think it should have been done for the flagship convertible. They didn't even put the new touch pad in there.
same concept applies to other fixed items besides air vents.
Old 10-06-16, 10:24 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Mercedes-Benz SL 450 Roadster Review

A Disappointing Droptop Grand Tourer

Whenever I get into a car to review, I try not to look at the Monroney sticker that tells you how much it costs.FAST FACTS

Engine: 3.0L biturbo V6
Power: 362 horsepower, 369 pound-feet of torque
Transmission: 9-speed automatic
EPA Fuel Economy (MPG): 20 city, 28 highway
CAN Fuel Economy (L/100 km): 11.5 city, 8.4 highway
US Price: Starts at $86,950
CAN Price: Starts at $104,900

If I’m not already aware of what a car costs, I like to drive it around, check out the interior and generally spend some time with a car before I try to guess what the price tag is.

On the pricing spectrum, if a car’s perceived price and actual price are close, that’s great. If perceived price is higher than actual price, that’s even better; we have a bargain on our hands! But if perceived price is lower than the actual price, that’s problematic.

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what the 2017 Mercedes-Benz SL 450 Roadster would cost. Looking at everything, I thought I’d be okay paying in the mid-$70,000 range. The interior is quite dated, the driving dynamics are a mixed bag, and it’s a car that people have generally forgotten about because of all the other stellar cars in the Mercedes lineup. Helping matters, however, is the fact that the car is a beautiful Benz with great roadster styling, is powered by a meaty biturbo V6 (but not the biturbo V8) and still looks like something fancy from the outside, so I thought my assessment was quite fair.

And then I nearly had a heart attack when I checked how much it cost: As tested, it broke six figures, and even the base price without all the fancy options was far above my estimate. The SL450 starts at $86,950 in the U.S. (and $104,900 in Canada). Right away, that’s a big problem because it doesn’t feel like it should cost that much.

The Value Problem
My mother the car snob flat out told me, “This doesn’t look like a car that costs six figures.” And she’s right. I’ve seen C-Classes with nicer, more modern interiors, and this is a problem because the SL was just refreshed, so you’d expect it to have the latest Mercedes goodies inside. The other issue is that in my test car, cars that automakers generally go out of their way to ensure are perfect for the press, there were a few electronics that were flat out not working or displayed glitchy behavior, like the automatic/powered trunk partition and janky rear window operation. It’s pretty much unacceptable for a brand new car that costs six figures to be experiencing these types of problems so soon.

But It Isn’t All Bad
The first thing you notice in the interior are the gorgeous red leather seats. You see the elegant and functional vent design and fancy-looking console-mounted gear shifter, which is much nicer and more intuitive than typical Mercedes shifters, which reside behind the steering wheel where the wiper controls would be in other cars. But then your eyes make it over to the plastic dash panel with a dated-looking telephone keypad and you try to use the infotainment system and it sours your experience. The infotainment system is operated by a rotary **** and a touchpad, but the system’s layout isn’t user-friendly, with too many menus and not enough information immediately available. Two nice features, however, are the quick charging USB port in the armrest and the Magic Sky roof that allows you to get some sunlight even with the hardtop convertible roof up.

The steering wheel is also lovely to use and has a heavy weight to it under regular driving. At highway speeds, however, it displays a bit of twitchiness that’s uncharacteristic of luxury cars. The controls for the adaptive cruise control are also hidden from plain sight behind the steering wheel, so it requires a driver to take their eyes off the road to use it until you have its functions memorized.

Driving Dynamics
If value isn’t something you care about in cars, the problems don’t stop there. As a grand touring car, the suspension is far too stiff to be comfortable during relaxed drives, and yet it’s not stiff enough to make it a bonafide sports car.

With 362 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, the 3.0-liter V6 is also plenty fast, but it doesn’t sound amazing, and the car is too heavy to be thrilling, so you’ll need to option up to the V8 model to get any sort of drama. The nine-speed transmission also makes unexpectedly harsh shifts. The roadster seems to hesitate when pushed and the transmission seems to be easily confused, which is strange because it works so well in other Benzes. The stop/start feature is also harsh. As a sports car, it’s not sporty enough, but as a luxury grand tourer, it’s also not luxurious or smooth enough.

The Verdict: 2017 Mercedes-Benz SL450 Roadster
If you’re looking for a true Mercedes experience, this isn’t the best car to start with. For less money, you can get something else from the Mercedes family that is more luxurious, more modern, drives better, and is easier to live with. This is the first time I’ve been disappointed with a Mercedes.

If I have six figures to spend on a Mercedes convertible, I’d have no problem buying a fully loaded AMG C-Class convertible (when it arrives), which offers a stunning interior and a fantastic engine along with far better driving dynamics. The E-Class Cabrio is also a great choice. Both of these Mercedes droptops also hold two more people and feel more expensive than they actually are, which is something that cannot be said for this SL 450.

LOVE IT
  • Great roadster style
LEAVE IT
  • Wonky driving dynamics
  • Cheap interior
  • Priced too high
Old 10-06-16, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

just another whiny review by a reporter who can't afford the car.
Old 10-06-16, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just another whiny review by a reporter who can't afford the car.
LOL

I think the reporter should test drive the V12 version and the tell his story.

Also, the S-class cabriolet is nicer IMO
Old 10-06-16, 12:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The interior really shows how long in the tooth the SL is. The SL moniker has a great history, but it's getting crowded up there with the AMG GT and S-Class Coupe
Old 10-06-16, 01:09 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That review is trash, honestly.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The interior really shows how long in the tooth the SL is. The SL moniker has a great history, but it's getting crowded up there with the AMG GT and S-Class Coupe
It's not even long in the tooth! This model came out 3 years ago, People just really hate seeing that plastic panel/keypad area. It's a frequent criticism of the GLE/GLS too. Funny how anachronistic details like the keypad can really date an entire interior.
Old 10-06-16, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

It's not even long in the tooth! This model came out 3 years ago, People just really hate seeing that plastic panel/keypad area. It's a frequent criticism of the GLE/GLS too. Funny how anachronistic details like the keypad can really date an entire interior.
That's true, though the overall cabin to me resonates more with Benz of 6 years past. With the AMG GT and S-Class Coupe available (and with drop top versions), I'm not sure why anyone could choose the SL these days. If they neglect it, it could go the way of the Jaguar XK in no time.
Old 10-06-16, 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That's true, though the overall cabin to me resonates more with Benz of 6 years past. With the AMG GT and S-Class Coupe available (and with drop top versions), I'm not sure why anyone could choose the SL these days. If they neglect it, it could go the way of the Jaguar XK in no time.
I don't think the GT is a ln alternative to the SL. As for the SL vs S-class, it has a hard top, 2 seats and is a little smaller. It also starts at significantly less money than an S class. So it should still do fine.
Old 10-06-16, 02:29 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There's not a chance they'll neglect it; next gen is coming in 2-3 years. The SL still presents a unique proposition because of its lineage, roadster configuration, and the fact that it's not a boat like the S-class vert and not a harsh riding sports car like the GT.

The link below is Autoblog discussion with a MB executive on this very topic. The SL has a future because it is considered iconic. I must warn you, the article is actually poorly written when its not quoting Wagener himself. It goes on talking about falling sales of the SL, ignoring the fact that entire convertible segment has nearly collapsed in recent years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/30/m...ner-interview/
Old 10-06-16, 04:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think the GT is a ln alternative to the SL. As for the SL vs S-class, it has a hard top, 2 seats and is a little smaller. It also starts at significantly less money than an S class. So it should still do fine.
If you want a V6 its cheaper starting at 86K for the SL450. If you want V8 it starts at 110K. The GT starts at 111K, so unless you specifically need a drop top, people would definitely cross shop or consider both.

There's not a chance they'll neglect it; next gen is coming in 2-3 years. The SL still presents a unique proposition because of its lineage, roadster configuration, and the fact that it's not a boat like the S-class vert and not a harsh riding sports car like the GT.

The link below is Autoblog discussion with a MB executive on this very topic. The SL has a future because it is considered iconic. I must warn you, the article is actually poorly written when its not quoting Wagener himself. It goes on talking about falling sales of the SL, ignoring the fact that entire convertible segment has nearly collapsed in recent years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/30/m...ner-interview/

Wow the GT C looks great. That pays more homage to the 300SL than the current SL
Old 10-06-16, 08:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Man, they should not have sent out a tester car with burl walnut....
Old 10-06-16, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the facelift exterior is much better than the current one
Old 10-07-16, 08:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the facelift exterior is much better than the current one
I agree the facelift makes the SL looks much better, but I think they screwed up the front bumper, the new bumper looks weird and too busy.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz SL News