Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kentucky-built Toyota Camry headed to South Korea

Old 12-06-11, 03:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Kentucky-built Toyota Camry headed to South Korea

Kentucky-built Toyota Camry headed to South Korea

For years Detroit automakers carped about the low value of the Japanese yen versus the U.S. dollar, but these days, the opposite is true. The yen has rocketed up in value versus the dollar, and Japan's automakers are taking significant measures to mitigate its bottom-line-killing effects. In October Toyota demanded lower prices from its Japanese supply base, and now the Camry will be built in the U.S. and shipped overseas.

Toyota notes in the post-jump press release that it will build 6,000 Toyota Camry units in Georgetown, Kentucky and ship the units to Korea. The massive Georgetown plant employs nearly 7,000 employees working around the clock. This marks the first time Toyota will export the American-made Camry, yet Toyota isn't new to U.S. exports. The automaker exports 100,000 vehicles built in the U.S. annually, shipping them to 19 countries.

The announcement is likely an exciting one for workers at the Georgetown plant, and Toyota feels more exports could be forthcoming. Toyota's North America President, Yoshimi Inaba, states "we look forward to other opportunities to continue growing exports from our American operations."

Toyota to Export U.S.-Assembled Camry to South Korea
Toyota's Kentucky Plant Will Fill Increased International Demand for Redesigned 2012 Model

December 5, 2011 – New York, N.Y. – Toyota today announced plans to export U.S.-assembled Camry sedans to its distributor in South Korea. Camry exports to South Korea are initially forecasted at approximately 6,000 units annually.
These Camry vehicles will be produced by team members at Toyota's manufacturing plant in Georgetown, Ky. The plant is Toyota's largest manufacturing facility outside of Japan, employing nearly 7,000 team members directly and creating nearly 20,000 additional jobs with vendors and suppliers in Kentucky and other states.

The Toyota Camry has been the top selling car in America for 13 of the past 14 years and a best-selling vehicle around the world. This is the first time the U.S.-assembled Camry will be exported outside of North America. The vehicles are scheduled to arrive in South Korea beginning in January.

Toyota began exporting U.S.-assembled vehicles in 1988. These exports increased 30% in calendar year 2010 to approximately 100,000 units. Toyota now exports U.S.-assembled vehicles to 19 countries around the world. The company began exporting Indiana-made Sienna minivans to South Korea last month.

Other exports include the Kentucky-produced Avalon sedan, the Indiana-produced Sequoia SUV and the Texas-produced Tacoma and Tundra pick-up trucks.

"We are pleased with the reaction that the redesigned Camry is receiving from our customers, and the sales success it is having in the U.S. and overseas," said Yoshimi Inaba, president and COO of Toyota Motor North America, Inc. "The export of thousands of Camry vehicles to South Korea is an important development that builds on the great work of our talented U.S. team members as well as our extensive investments across North America to help maintain a strong, stable base of U.S. jobs. We look forward to other opportunities to continue growing exports from our American operations."

Camry exports to South Korea will ship from the Port of Hueneme, near Oxnard, Calif.

About the Toyota Camry

The Toyota Camry has been the best-selling car in America for nine years running and 13 of the last 14 years. Since it was introduced in 1983, more than 8.5 million vehicles have been sold in the U.S. and 15 million worldwide. For the past three years, the Camry has also been named the "Most American Car" in Cars.com's annual American Made Index. Designed to meet the needs of the 21st century driver, the 2012 Camry, which went on sale this fall, provides technologically advanced features, a contemporary design inside and out, improved performance and fuel efficiency, and a refined ride and handling.

The Camry is produced at Toyota's manufacturing plant in Georgetown, Ky. as well as at Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. in Lafayette, Ind.

On December 1, Toyota announced that the Camry and Camry Hybrid led sales of Toyota's passenger cars in the U.S. in November with combined monthly sales of 23,440 units, an increase of 8.5 percent over the year-ago month on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/06/k...o-south-korea/
Old 12-06-11, 04:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I first read that Camry production was headed to South Korea. That would have surely caused a backlash against Toyota.

Good to see that the Camry will continue to be American made, and that more American jobs will be created.
Old 12-06-11, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT;6866511
Good to see that the Camry will continue to be American made, and that more American jobs will be created.
I agree. Its nice to see more American jobs or at worst, we don't lose any American jobs.
Old 12-07-11, 08:13 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure why South Korea would want this model. I would get the European model instead,

Old 12-07-11, 11:19 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because a lot of Koreans still see America as the cooler big brother.
Old 12-08-11, 09:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Not sure why South Korea would want this model. I would get the European model instead,

Agreed 100%.

The South Korean market would probably want something more luxurious for the kind of midsegment/executive cars (D-segment) that they're looking for. Hence, why I too believe that the European/Asian Camry would be more appropriate for them.

But hey, it's their choice :P

Still, in the perspective of Toyota USA, it's a big bonus for them because they have a big export ticket product. (same case with Toyota Australia which exports Camry and Aurion to the Middle East region).

P.S.
Because a lot of Koreans still see America as the cooler big brother.
Hmm......interesting

But I would not want to comment on that since I'm not familiar with the history between the nations in the past (i.e. possibly Korean War I guess?)

Btw
This also raises a point that I'm guessing that Japanese<->Korean relations are starting to improve.

A few decades ago, Japanese products in Korea were considered as sacrilege and Japanese though Korea was an inferior country. Now, it looks like things are warming up.

I can't say the same yet for Japan<->Mainland China relations yet. Back in 2001, the anti-Japan rallies held in Mainland China were immense.

To the point that militants were setting Mitsubishi cars on fire.

Last edited by Blackraven; 12-08-11 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 09:34 AM
LexFather

It might do well since Koreans in S.Korea actually don't like the new Hyundai styling according to a recent article. They prefer the more staid models and the Camry while more stylish isn't as Catfish looking at the Sonata etc so they might have a niche there.

Let people choose what they want!