Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 11:05 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
CL is a two door version of the S class. CLK now is based on E class where the last gen was based on C class.
This E class coupe is based off of the W204 C
Old 11-30-11, 11:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

great review/comparison henry. thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-11, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks for the kind words guys

yeah they already have the ebay aftermarket taillights, that's not a problem and great since it won't throw a codes on dash.

for the headlights there aren't aftermarket yet, they said it's probably coming out in spring. but so far with the oem swap it's just major money

and my goodness, you guys are all evil!
Old 12-01-11, 09:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha then i guess by comparison the s class headlights are "cheap". i think it's 4800 for the pair. but to get it to work with the 07-09, you need new SAM module which is another 1500-2000?
Since you bought the car because it is a smoking deal, just enjoy it for what it is. It is not a car you love, why spend money on it? Save the money for your next hot car
Old 12-01-11, 09:49 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the kind words guys

yeah they already have the ebay aftermarket taillights, that's not a problem and great since it won't throw a codes on dash.

for the headlights there aren't aftermarket yet, they said it's probably coming out in spring. but so far with the oem swap it's just major money

and my goodness, you guys are all evil!
I can't believe you just said that, Mr. Authentic!!! I am disappointed

What happened to all this that I 100% agreed with!?

- Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
- If you can't afford it, drive the car stock.
- promoting knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site, not to mention companies who make/sell knock-offs.
- it's authentic if it roots from the original company

Last edited by BNR34; 12-01-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
Since you bought the car because it is a smoking deal, just enjoy it for what it is. It is not a car you love, why spend money on it? Save the money for your next hot car
yup, that's kind of how i look at it. ls460l was the car i wanted, so i spent money on it like that. but now the s is a deal, so maybe i just drive it

of course, my kid(s) are keeping me very busy to even think about mods, hehe
Old 12-01-11, 09:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I can't believe you just said that, Mr. Authentic!!! I am disappointed

What happened to all this that I 100% agreed!?

- Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
- If you can't afford it, drive the car stock.
- promoting knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site, not to mention companies who make/sell knock-offs.
- it's authentic if it roots from the original company
lol, i was talking about what's out there, didn't say that's what i'd go with
Old 12-01-11, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That was well written Henry.

I wrote something up earlier but deleted it just to be nice (or neutral)

Anyways, one of my biggest gripe is that huge damn middle hump (drive shaft) that lexus can't seem to figure out while mb got it right..

Well, at least upgrade the taillights. It's cheap and does make it more modern...mod mod mod j/k
Old 12-01-11, 09:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

lol, i was talking about what's out there, didn't say that's what i'd go with
I don't know, sounded like you looked at them and know what they are

I never look at what's fake and cheap is available for my cars.

I rather have old zenki lights then fake ebay lights.

You said it best and is how I live, if I don't feel like spending money on it, I just leave it alone

Last edited by BNR34; 12-01-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-01-11, 10:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Anyways, one of my biggest gripe is that huge damn middle hump (drive shaft) that lexus can't seem to figure out while mb got it right..
Nothing is perfect.

Well, at least upgrade the taillights. It's cheap and does make it more modern...mod mod mod j/k
The only exception I might make is if clear amber lights are not available from the OEM, like the 2GS clear tail or UCF21 clear tail, and if the clear tail is available from really high quality vendor like Junction Produce. But even then, I would still somewhat rather have the lamer OEM lights.
Old 12-01-11, 10:06 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

yup, that's kind of how i look at it. ls460l was the car i wanted, so i spent money on it like that. but now the s is a deal, so maybe i just drive it

of course, my kid(s) are keeping me very busy to even think about mods, hehe
Yeah if you spend money on it, then the point of it being a deal is lost. And I would think it might even cost the same if you just trade it for an OEM AMG Sport package car that got everything.

Just save the money for the F10 M, that thing is sooo tasty
Old 12-01-11, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah if you spend money on it, then the point of it being a deal is lost. And I would think it might even cost the same if you just trade it for an OEM AMG Sport package car that got everything.

Just save the money for the F10 M, that thing is sooo tasty
lol i think i need to start distant myself from you

i do want to slow down a bit. we want to get another house, that should be the main priority and then make sure funds enough for kids for college, then it's "fun" time again

I don't know, sounded like you looked at them and know what they are

I never look at what's fake and cheap is available for my cars.

I rather have old zenki lights then fake ebay lights.

You said it best and is how I live, if I don't feel like spending money on it, I just leave it alone
hahaha, i actually read everything, even on knock offs. it's just learning process. whether i do it or not that's a different question.

plus if i look at it close enough, if a company copy a design but improve on it, then it's not entirely knock off anymore. knock off to me is pure copy. for example like you said, lexus copied the w140 into ls430 but improved it so much. for the taillights, the ebay one actually lights up all rows when you brake, the oem just bottom row which is "dimmer". and of course it takes care of the error code issue, something people had a lot of trouble with.

rumor is that with the aftermarket headlights, it might have some different led setup from the oem and also the lens might be different, on top of the omission of need of new SAM module. if there are improvements, well, i am probably ok with it

That was well written Henry.

I wrote something up earlier but deleted it just to be nice (or neutral)

thanks chris, i just try to point out the goods and bads. i don't feel emotionally attached to either of the car now so hopefully that gives a better objective view

yes, on all lexus the middle hump is quite a killer. the s550 one is smaller but still some size, i guess that's as good as you can get. but the middle seat in the rear of lexus cars, that's definitely one funny spot. it's like that in both my gs350 and ls460l
Old 12-01-11, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

i do want to slow down a bit. we want to get another house, that should be the main priority and then make sure funds enough for kids for college, then it's "fun" time again
Start now. YOu only got 18 years to go

thanks chris, i just try to point out the goods and bads. i don't feel emotionally attached to either of the car now so hopefully that gives a better objective view
yes you were very objective and unbias.

now that you said it, a regular MB ( to me) is not "all that" until you get into the AMG territory
Old 12-01-11, 11:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

lol i think i need to start distant myself from you
Distant from me? I am the frugal humble one driving very old LS/SC430, who is the one joyriding in LP670 / Phantom hanging out with Sir-Mix and drive a S-Class? I am good influence I would tell you to go buy a Camry Hybrid

Yes house and kids is of course the main priority You can't drive a house though

hahaha, i actually read everything, even on knock offs. it's just learning process. whether i do it or not that's a different question.
Yes it is good to know everything. I do look at them initially too, but after a while I realized they are all crap so I stop looking.

plus if i look at it close enough, if a company copy a design but improve on it, then it's not entirely knock off anymore. knock off to me is pure copy. for example like you said, lexus copied the w140 into ls430 but improved it so much. for the taillights, the ebay one actually lights up all rows when you brake, the oem just bottom row which is "dimmer". and of course it takes care of the error code issue, something people had a lot of trouble with.

rumor is that with the aftermarket headlights, it might have some different led setup from the oem and also the lens might be different, on top of the omission of need of new SAM module. if there are improvements, well, i am probably ok with it
I understand what you mean. It is nice if they make it cooler in design, but I focus mostly on quality, almost none of those aftermarket stuff have remotely close to the quality of OEM. I don't care for anything with low quality.

yes, on all lexus the middle hump is quite a killer. the s550 one is smaller but still some size, i guess that's as good as you can get. but the middle seat in the rear of lexus cars, that's definitely one funny spot. it's like that in both my gs350 and ls460l
You know how perverted the Japanese are, that rear middle seat is made that way intentionally............for a girl in mini.............
Old 12-01-11, 11:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

yes you were very objective and unbias.
Yes he is, that's why I like him.

now that you said it, a regular MB ( to me) is not "all that" until you get into the AMG territory
I feel the same way, like minds think alike. I even feel some low end AMGs aren't "all that", C63, SLK55......etc. C63 Black Series is good though

Quick Reply: 2007 Mercedes S550 review (comparison to 2007 LS460L)