Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reliability of 07+ Chevrolet Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 03:00 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Wow 92k for brakes for an SUV? That's excellent
and I had heavy 22's on it from day 1.....
Old 11-03-11, 03:05 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm doing the McGaughy (spelling) or Pedders 2/3 drop as well if I get it. I hear good and bad. A good number of people have reported no issues, while others have stated that it's the worst vehicle they've ever owned, because the car spends more time in the dealer than it does with their owners.

The third row really isn't an issue with me at all. I have no kids, except nieces and nephews and I carry around a 7 pound Maltese. If it's as small as my parents LX470, then it doesn't matter.

AZDesertGS, have you had the TSB done for the excessive oil consumption? A lot of the ones that I've been looking at have high mileage and I worry about gasket leaks and things that cost serious money!
Old 11-03-11, 03:16 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My son was shopping for a loaded used Tahoe or Yukon last year. He was advised by my mechanic (a GM guy) to avoid the 07s, but otherwise OK. He ended up buying an 04 Yukon Denali because he didn't want to spend what it would have taken to get into an 08. He also preferred the older body style. He hasn't any major problems with it in the year+ he's owned it. I think he's put about 25K on it and it is now nearing 90K miles.
Old 11-03-11, 03:21 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I like tahoes and suburbans, check out the build!

http://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/...500-build.html
Old 11-03-11, 03:50 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tungo
I'm doing the McGaughy (spelling) or Pedders 2/3 drop as well if I get it. I hear good and bad. A good number of people have reported no issues, while others have stated that it's the worst vehicle they've ever owned, because the car spends more time in the dealer than it does with their owners.

The third row really isn't an issue with me at all. I have no kids, except nieces and nephews and I carry around a 7 pound Maltese. If it's as small as my parents LX470, then it doesn't matter.

AZDesertGS, have you had the TSB done for the excessive oil consumption? A lot of the ones that I've been looking at have high mileage and I worry about gasket leaks and things that cost serious money!
I had no issue with excessive oil consumption. There was only one TSB I had when I first got it and it was a reprogram because the A/C would chatter when it first engaged. If you do get one, I learned lots from the guys at the forum below:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/
Old 11-04-11, 10:19 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My neighbor has an '07 Burban with about 90k on it and I wrench on it for him at times.

He's had to replace the TPS, the dashboard, and regularly needs to replace the exterior door handles. Rear brakes (pads and rotors) were also swapped about last year.

It's not terribly unreliable but about average for your typical GM product. If you really like 'em and you got a wrencher in the family, go for it. It will have it's issues but you just fix them and move on.

If you want the most trouble free option, then look at a GX, LX, or a 4Runner V8. These will give you the least headaches.
Old 11-04-11, 11:12 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I had no issue with excessive oil consumption. There was only one TSB I had when I first got it and it was a reprogram because the A/C would chatter when it first engaged. If you do get one, I learned lots from the guys at the forum below:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/
I just registered on there. I think we are going to bite the bullet and go for it. Brother in law has one and he hasn't had a problem. He purchased an 07 with 60000 miles and hasn't had a single problem, except had the TSB done for the oil consumption.

I am looking at an 08 LTZ loaded, including Bose Sound system.

CleanSC, we looked at all the imports before considering American. To be honest, as much as I love the Lexus sedan lineup, I'm not very fond of their SUV lineup. The only one that appeals to me and only a little bit is the LX570, but if I'm gonna spend near $100K on any car, it's gonna be a GTR or ZR1 Vette to get away from family, not to buy a car to haul family in.

I considered the V8 Limited Model and even the V6 Urban Runner version 4Runner before the Tahoe. Prices for 4Runners, (they also have a pretty good resale value) are about the same as Tahoe's and miles per gallon on the V8 is about the same as the Tahoe. To me, you get more car with the Tahoe over the 4Runner, but suffer from resale.

Even looked at the MDX, but they are fairly expensive still even for a high mileage 08, and I definitely don't like high mileage.
Old 11-06-11, 09:22 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The handling is horrible coming from a car, the brakes are not the greatest, I think the newest generation improved the brakes, people put rims on them when they should be doing brake and suspension upgrades.

Overall it needs little things, but for an average reliable vehicle they go the distance of 200k, my buddy has a Yukon with 200 something, the powertrain rock solid, everything else broken

The aftermarket has everything so it's definitely something I would buy if I wanted a project car, good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-06-11, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The Chevrolet Tahoes are good suvs, they are just a little dated. They have been out for a while now. You should not have a problem with them. I would go for a Toyota Sequoia if I were you, not sure what your budget is.