Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Leaf EV

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 08:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,705 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never?

Although petroleum itself hasn't gotten any cleaner, today's cars, thanks to advances like unleaded fuel, catalytic converters, electronic engine controls, advanced combustion techniques, etc.....emit only about 1% of the tailpipe-emissions that they did when first started driving in the late 1960s. Diesel-fuel, also derived from petroleum and crude-oil, has similarly shown remarkable improvements in low-emissions (even independent from the VW/Audi scandal LOL), with today's low-sulfur diesel fuel, advanced engine controls, and urea-solution treatments.
You're advocating for the diesel engine? why....

Also the process of turning crude into gasoline is incredibly dirty and energy intensive. Not to mention the geopolitical issues, oil spills.....
Old 09-08-17, 10:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You're advocating for the diesel engine? why....

Also the process of turning crude into gasoline is incredibly dirty and energy intensive. Not to mention the geopolitical issues, oil spills.....
Not advocating per se.....I was simply responding to your suggestion that vehicles with petroleum-based fuels would never get cleaner. I pointed out that they HAVE, in fact, been getting cleaner for the last 50 years.
Old 09-09-17, 02:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Back to the leaf... it's another step forward to a broader use of electric vehicles but we're still a long way off from wide acceptance except through incentives and punishment against alternatives by governments.
Old 09-09-17, 09:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,705 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Not advocating per se.....I was simply responding to your suggestion that vehicles with petroleum-based fuels would never get cleaner. I pointed out that they HAVE, in fact, been getting cleaner for the last 50 years.
The source will never get cleaner, cars are just using less of it. That is completely different to sources of electricity that do get cleaner or even 100% clean, even if the cars using that energy are not becoming more efficient. Important distinction.

For example, my Lexus will never get cleaner for as long as I own it. If I buy a Leaf today in 5 years I may very well be fueling it with cleaner sources of energy something that is impossible with a gas burner. Anyway I hope the generation 2 Leaf is very successful.
Old 09-11-17, 04:03 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Sigh.

Two thoughts:

(1) Interesting car, but I will never own a vehicle that can't be "re-filled" during a cross-country trip to anywhere in a matter of a few minutes. And I will NOT plug in a car at night; it better have some sort of automatic-charge mechanism.

(2) "Zero-CO2" has morphed into a religion for many and as such can no longer be discussed in polite company, because faith-based beliefs are immune to logical challenge.
Old 09-11-17, 06:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An improvement over the previous version of the Leaf, but that car just looked silly, so the bar was pretty low stylistically. With this version there are just so many better options available. The Prius Prime is a better choice.

The only reason Nissan is dangling this car in front of consumers is because they need to move more of those Ford F150 knockoffs which are known as the Titan. That truck gets 15-21 mpg. Even the previous generation Prius looked better than this car.
Old 09-11-17, 09:18 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, but the Prius Prime look like shyte. Good luck re-filling when the world is moving towards electrification and banning gasoline and diesel altogether.
Old 09-12-17, 07:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Sigh.

Two thoughts:

(1) Interesting car, but I will never own a vehicle that can't be "re-filled" during a cross-country trip to anywhere in a matter of a few minutes. And I will NOT plug in a car at night; it better have some sort of automatic-charge mechanism.
do you drive cross-country a lot? Spirit and Frontier airlines are cheaper than driving - I just flew Houston to Denver for $27, crazy prices! ....and LOL @ not charging at night, there's nothing wrong with doing that and oh, the rates are cheaper! but whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-12-17, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
do you drive cross-country a lot? Spirit and Frontier airlines are cheaper than driving - I just flew Houston to Denver for $27, crazy prices! ....and LOL @ not charging at night, there's nothing wrong with doing that and oh, the rates are cheaper! but whatever floats your boat.
I've flown Spirit airlines once. I'd rather drive lol.

Seriously, most horrific flight I've ever had. Barely even humane.
Old 09-12-17, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Yep......cram in more and more seats, and try and book more and more ticket-paying passengers....make every last dime on the flight they possibly can. Stuff the passengers all in like sardines....to the point where, with the load, the wings and engines can barely lift the planes off the runway. Never mind the Leaf......even driving the Versa is better than that.
Old 09-12-17, 03:54 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That front end is hideous lol
Old 09-12-17, 04:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep......cram in more and more seats, and try and book more and more ticket-paying passengers....make every last dime on the flight they possibly can. Stuff the passengers all in like sardines....to the point where, with the load, the wings and engines can barely lift the planes off the runway. Never mind the Leaf......even driving the Versa is better than that.
Spirit and Frontier coach is no different than United/Delta/American coach....

....but to each their own - I'd rather fly 2 hours ANYDAY rather than drive 18 boring hours.

flown quite a few times....
- paid for big seats up front a couple times, just like other airlines first class seats but no food
- aisle seats couple of times
- had an entire row to myself one time too.

Of course I'm not your typical big fat overweight american either - I'm 6 ft 175lbs, so no issue for me.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-12-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Spirit and Frontier coach is no different than United/Delta/American coach....

....but to each their own - I'd rather fly 2 hours ANYDAY rather than drive 18 boring hours.
Oh, definitely...sardine-cramming has become a feature of many airlines, not just Spirit. Driving, though, also has its benefits....not having to mess with travel-agents, airport security, baggage/body-scans, parking hassles, cancelled/over-booked flights, alternate airports if one cannot land at the primary destination, and ticket-refunds, if applicable. Also, you can go almost anywhere in a car....not just to airports with mile-long runways or more.

Of course I'm not your typical big fat overweight american either - I'm 6 ft 175lbs, so no issue for me.
I wish I could say the same......but I'll let it go at that LOL.
Old 09-12-17, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The Spirit flight I took was nothing like coach on any of the airlines you mention I've ever flown on, not even Southwest. Plastic seats with no padding, no recline, knees in the seat in front, the smallest tray table I have ever seen. The flight to and back from CA was literally 6 of the worst hours I've ever spent in my life.

The big front seats are fine, but good luck getting one.

No joke, I wouldn't even fly Spirit again for free. I can afford to fly on a real airline lol. No issue with Southwest (just flew them back from Vegas on Sunday, was fine), never flown Frontier, but Spirit sucks. If I could only afford to fly Spirit, I'd stay home.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-12-17 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 07:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Spirit flight I took was nothing like coach on any of the airlines you mention I've ever flown on, not even Southwest. Plastic seats with no padding, no recline, knees in the seat in front, the smallest tray table I have ever seen. The flight to and back from CA was literally 6 of the worst hours I've ever spent in my life.
If it's a cross-country flight then I would spring for the extra-space seats up front. Surprisingly a 6 hour trip is considered "short haul" in airline lingo. On what I would call a real "short haul" flight - 45 minutes to 2 hours, I think a Nissan Leaf or anything even close to a compact car might be better.

No joke, I wouldn't even fly Spirit again for free. I can afford to fly on a real airline lol. No issue with Southwest (just flew them back from Vegas on Sunday, was fine), never flown Frontier, but Spirit sucks. If I could only afford to fly Spirit, I'd stay home.
You were probably on one of Spirit's A319's. Worst seat pitch in the industry - 28 inches. The economy standard with everybody else is 30-32 inches. Frontier also has some of these Airbus planes with the same lousy seat pitch. Guess it's a pay-to-play thing. Seat width is also a big factor as is seat material and ergonomics. American, Delta, United aren't above stooping to reducing seat pitch on their Boeings and Airbus either.

Quick Reply: Nissan Leaf EV