Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT-1. VW Passat. 2. Toyota Camry. 3. Hyundai Sonanta NOW PART 3 Page 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Post MT-1. VW Passat. 2. Toyota Camry. 3. Hyundai Sonanta NOW PART 3 Page 4

Again their 15 minutes of fame is up..reading the article seems the Camry was better than the Passat but OMG the Passat posts a better skidpad and its sportier thus better More of the same.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._family_court/

Camry 34 MPG tested
Passat 31 MPG tested
Sonata 27 MPG tested

Camry was also the fastest though the Sonata has more power.

They state the VW Passat looks like a downsized Audi A8

More info showing Hyundai's real world MPG is garbage compared to what is claimed

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...urt/specs.html

Old 10-19-11, 10:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Camry did great... it was 1.2s faster 0-60 and 10ft less 60-0 than VW, and better mpg.

If you want sporty, they should have gotten SE... it would probably end up sportier than VW for the same price, as they tested base Camry and more upscale VW with 17" alloys.
Old 10-19-11, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

And what about the Altima, Fusion, Accord, and Malibu? Well, all are set to debut next-gen models in 2012-'13, so consider them invited to Round 2.
A poor decision, especially with the Accord. Even though the present Accord is probably in its last production-year, how MT could have omitted it from this test beats me. It's also the second-best-selling car in the country, behind the Camry, though the Sonata is closing fast.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-19-11, 10:33 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will wait until I get my copy of this MotorTrend to read the content. But I would still pick Toyota Camry over the other two simply due to my concern of long term reliability of Volkswagen and Hyundai. Plus, I love the new interior design of the new Camry, very modern looking and stylish, not as ordinary as the Passat's.
Old 10-19-11, 10:36 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I strongly disagree with this. Even though the present Accord is probably in its last production-year, how MT could have omitted it from this test beats me. It's also the second-best-selling car in the country, behind the Camry, though the Sonata is closing fast.
Yeah they should have included Accord, but probably they just want one mid-sized sedan from each of Japan, Germany, and South Korea. They would probably do a huge comparison test once the new Accord and Altima comes out, like the 11 cars drag race they did last month.
Old 10-19-11, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I will wait until I get my copy of this MotorTrend to read the content.
You can read the entire article right now. Just click on the attached website that Mike provided.
Old 10-19-11, 10:44 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the 3, I think Camry should be 1st hands down. I don't really like the new Passat, the style becomes really plain, and interior still looks the same as before. Also, build quality seems go down due to cost cutting. However, price does go down so it's a +.

Did anyone tried to vote on the MT site? I was surprised Sonata is #1 @ 43%, Passat 31% and Camry is only 26%!!
Old 10-19-11, 10:55 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Between the 3, I think Camry should be 1st hands down. I don't really like the new Passat, the style becomes really plain, and interior still looks the same as before. Also, build quality seems go down due to cost cutting. However, price does go down so it's a +.

Did anyone tried to vote on the MT site? I was surprised Sonata is #1 @ 43%, Passat 31% and Camry is only 26%!!
I totally agree. As much as people have complained about Toyota being boring, the Pasaat (and Jetta too) are absolutely plain and uninspiring to my eyes.
Old 10-19-11, 10:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well you guys can read the test after clicking link in OT... it is well for Camry :-).
basically they didnt pick it because it is Camry and they said there is no doubt it will stay #1.

Difference in MPG in group test where cars are driven one after each other is astonishing.
Old 10-19-11, 11:18 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Insideline just made Passat number 1 too in a comparison test with the Sonata. Maybe it is one of those, must drive yourself, kind of cars
Old 10-19-11, 11:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A poor decision, especially with the Accord. Even though the present Accord is probably in its last production-year, how MT could have omitted it from this test beats me. It's also the second-best-selling car in the country, behind the Camry, though the Sonata is closing fast.
Did MT get this right?

Originally Posted by Motor Trend
"Camry still sells the best," The Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, and Chevy Malibu occupied spots two through five."
Are they saying the Nissan Altima and Ford Fusion outsold the Honda Accord?

Old 10-19-11, 11:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

2ND PLACE: TOYOTA CAMRY LE
The lightest of the group by 70 pounds, the 178-horsepower Camry quickly laid claim to the 0-60 (7.8 seconds) and quarter-mile (15.9 at 89.3 mph) acceleration titles as well as the shortest 60-0 braking distance (120 feet). There's no denying that Toyota's revised 2.5 liter and six-speed are peppy, smooth, and responsive, and the standard four-wheel disc brakes robust. We lauded the steering, too, for its direct, linear action, and the ride for its easygoing behavior. "In terms of power, interior space, useability, and fuel economy, the Camry's the best here," said Martinez. So how did it not win?
Let's just say the Camry returned some middling scores in a few key areas. First, we were unimpressed with its "architectural statement" styling, whose elements lacked cohesion and had an overall look too similar to that of its predecessor. Next, the soft suspension, while great for road trips, was not terribly assuring over the handling loop. "In the tighter sections of our drive, the Camry was not confidence-inspiring," declared Kong. Last, for $23,260 to start, the Toyota omitted such standard niceties as alloy wheels, which were included in our as-tested $22,405 Hyundai as well as a $23,460 Passat S with Appearance Package (our $25,595 SL came with larger 17-inch alloys).

Click to view Gallery
We have little doubt this new four-cylinder LE will continue to be the top-selling Camry, and that the nameplate will maintain its best-seller status. The redone interior, with its faux leather-stitched dash, straightforward controls, Bluetooth/iPod/USB connectivity, and 102.7-cubic-foot passenger volume (0.5 bigger than Passat's) is richer and more accommodating and user-friendly than before. And let's not forget the Camry's 25-mpg city and 34.1-mpg observed stats, both best in test. Still, we'd rather grab the keys for another sedan.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1bFtqrxjY
since everyone is too lazy to read :-).

I bet SE would easily win this comparo.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...1st_place.html
Old 10-19-11, 12:00 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They state the VW Passat looks like a downsized Audi A8
Not a bad thing, IMO

Saw many Camrys in person last weekend. Nice car but I'm just not that impressed.
Old 10-19-11, 12:33 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exterior of the Passat, while bland, is at least handsomly conservative IMO.

The exterior of the Camry looks very mainstream and a bit cheap IMO. I've seen a few on the road now, and am not terribly impressed.
Old 10-19-11, 02:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The exterior of the Passat, while bland, is at least handsomly conservative IMO.

The exterior of the Camry looks very mainstream and a bit cheap IMO. I've seen a few on the road now, and am not terribly impressed.
looks are subjective... technologically, Camry is several steps above Passat in every way.
0-60 in 9 seconds is very slow for VW... it is Yaris slow and everyone is dissing how Yaris has old engine.

Quick Reply: MT-1. VW Passat. 2. Toyota Camry. 3. Hyundai Sonanta NOW PART 3 Page 4