Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Germany’s Bottom Ten: Deutschland’s Least Wanted Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 05:07 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Andrew. I know Hyundai, Kia, and Daewoo quite well (even their rebadged-vehicles), but I wasn't familiar with Ssangyong.

You can tell, though, just by the profile, that it's probably not a U.S.-certified design. It's quite high and narrow (I'm assuming with a corresponding center-of-gravity), and, especially if it doesn't have VSC, might not pass handling/roll-over standards here. And, the fact that there is only one registered one in Germany shows that Germans apparantly don't seem to think much of it. Must not have any kind of a dealer-network there, either.

Are they available in Canada (Vancouver) where you live? I've never seen one in the U.S.
The Ssangyong Rexton is well equipped with VSC and Active Roll Over Protection, ABS & EBD, as well as a full suite of aibags so that's not the problem.

The problem is its butt ugly and a depreciation nightmare.
Old 10-17-11, 06:01 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Japanese premium vehicles with big engines not selling in Germany? Blasphemy!
Old 10-17-11, 06:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Not surprised about the 407 from Peugeot. When I was in Mexico, Peugot sold the 4 series and it was so overpriced they had to drop the price significantly because it just couldn't compete against other cars in its price range and even after it dropped it still had problems. The Ssangyong was a rare car to see. Some diplomats had it and I remember one gray market importer brought them in. Had a Mercedes engine if I remember correct and a few people actually thought my RX300 was a Ssangyong (since Lexus wasn't there).
Old 10-17-11, 07:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Not surprised about the 407 from Peugeot. When I was in Mexico, Peugot sold the 4 series and it was so overpriced they had to drop the price significantly because it just couldn't compete against other cars in its price range and even after it dropped it still had problems. The Ssangyong was a rare car to see. Some diplomats had it and I remember one gray market importer brought them in. Had a Mercedes engine if I remember correct and a few people actually thought my RX300 was a Ssangyong (since Lexus wasn't there).
not to mention that new 508 just came out and 407 stopped selling after some 10 years on the market.
508 is selling quite well.
Old 10-17-11, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Ssangyong Kyron

Looks like the front end, and much of the general styling, was taken from the Mercedes ML.
Old 10-17-11, 09:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks like the front end, and much of the general styling, was taken from the Mercedes ML.
i think that they also buy old powertrain from MB :-)
Old 10-17-11, 07:07 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volt lack of popularity is a no-brainer. It's not selling well even here in its own mother-country.
if chevy sells every single one that they make, and they had to re-vamp production in order to keep up with demand, and dealers are able to sell them with insane mark-ups AND keep the tax credit for themselves, how the hell do you come up with this statement?
Old 10-18-11, 10:13 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ssangyong Stavic (called 'Rodius' in some markets)

Labelled by many as the "ugliest vehicle in the world"

Quotes about it:
Originally Posted by Top Gear Magazine
"a car that looks like it got bottled in a pub brawl and stitched back together by a blind man"
Originally Posted by Wheels Auto Magazine Australia
"having a face like a burnt thong"
Originally Posted by Drive Life Australia
"so cack-handed in every aesthetic department it makes the average people-mover owner feel like they are getting about in an ultra-stylish Italian sports machine"
Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald Motoring Section
"collapsing bus shelter on wheels".
That says it all

And yet my Papa thought that it look as futuristic as a spaceship
Old 10-18-11, 10:24 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^If you changed the front of this van, changed the rims, and put Toyota badges on it, people here would be saying how AMAZING it is. The rear reminds me of all those boxy vans you get in Japan.
Old 10-18-11, 10:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't know, that swoop in the rear with the tumor on top is a hard sell...
Old 10-18-11, 10:27 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Most of those cars are just butt ugly, so why would the Germans be different than anyone else with a general aversion to them?
Old 10-31-11, 07:04 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No surprise to see the GS in that list. Other than my 2GS, I've seen only 3 other 2GSs here (Belgium). Pretty rare cars over here, mostly due to fuel prices and taxation.
Old 10-31-11, 10:00 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The list isn't too surprising. If I lived in Germany, I probably wouldn't buy anything that isn't a Benz or BMW.
Old 10-31-11, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
if chevy sells every single one that they make, and they had to re-vamp production in order to keep up with demand, and dealers are able to sell them with insane mark-ups AND keep the tax credit for themselves, how the hell do you come up with this statement?
Simple. This is not rocket-science. As P.T. Barnum once said, There's a s***er born every minute. Some people fall for the media-hype on this car, and are willing to pay not only a too-high MSRP from the factory, but ridiculous dealer-mark-ups as well. But.....I certainly haven't seen many in my area (D.C. suburbs.....which, because of the traditional recession-resistance, is one of the largest new-car markets in the country outside of SoCal/L.A.). It may also be due to the relatively high level of car-buying education in this area....people know when a car is not a good value.

So, it's easy to come up with a statement like this........there's a lot of truth in it. GM has managed to convince a number of people (but not as many as you suggest ) that the Volt is worth what it costs. I, however, am not one of them....and, yes, I have reviewed and test-driven the Volt myself.

So, in a nutshell, I respect your opinion......but simply disagree with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-11 at 10:42 AM.