Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Massachusetts police take heat for locking unlocked cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 11:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Massachusetts police take heat for locking unlocked cars

Massachusetts police take heat for locking unlocked cars

There's nothing worse than a bored law enforcement officer, as a few Beverly, Massachusetts residents learned firsthand when the local police went around checking vehicles for unlocked doors and open windows. Owners received warnings for failing to protect their property and officers proceeded to lock every door they could, including vehicles with their keys still inside.

Petty thieves had been swiping iPods, GPS devices and prescription drugs from unlocked vehicles, and the police felt that a few hard lessons would change residents' perceptions on securing their belongings.

Now, we understand that being careless about leaving windows down and doors unlocked makes your car easy prey when thieves start prowling. That said, we have trouble believing that police officers' time couldn't have been better spent, say, searching for offenders instead of trying door handles and punishing otherwise innocent vehicle owners all day. But that's just us.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/15/m...unlocked-cars/
Old 10-15-11, 03:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i know some friends with convertibles (s2ks and miatas mostly) that would be pretty pissed. these guys are known to leave the doors unlocked with nothing inside just so nobody slashes the tops trying to get in...
Old 10-15-11, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i know some friends with convertibles (s2ks and miatas mostly) that would be pretty pissed. these guys are known to leave the doors unlocked with nothing inside just so nobody slashes the tops trying to get in...
That's one reason why more auto-manufacturers today are doing folding-hardtops instead of the traditional fabric.

Also, besides unlocked doors, some people leave their windows at least part-way down, on purpose, when they leave dogs and cats in the car, so that the animals won't overheat and/or suffocate if the car is parked in some sun. It is, of course, illegal to leave pets or small children in the car with windows up on sunny-days, which is dangerous.....one can be arrested for that.
Old 10-16-11, 12:46 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are times when I leave a car unlocked on purpose, I remove all valuables when I leave to go hiking so that people don't smash out a window looking for goodies. I would be IRATE if those morons locked my keys in my car, that is still private property!
Old 10-16-11, 06:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No good deed goes unpunished...
Old 10-16-11, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
There are times when I leave a car unlocked on purpose, I remove all valuables when I leave to go hiking so that people don't smash out a window looking for goodies.
On wagons/hatchbacks/SUVs, that, of course, is what the cargo pull-shade/cover is for....to hide valuables from prying eyes. And smashing a window on many modern cars will set off the security-alarm.

However, I agree with you that, given the choice, it's better to leave an unlocked empty car than to have something like your wedding-album, wedding-ring, check-book, or wallet laying inside.

I would be IRATE if those morons locked my keys in my car, that is still private property!
Going away and leaving the car unlocked is one thing, but you mean you ALSO leave the keys in it? That could be just asking for trouble.

Fortunately, the electronics in some modern key/fobs won't allow the doors to be locked if the keys are still in the ignition or not taken with you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-16-11, 09:19 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On wagons/hatchbacks/SUVs, that, of course, is what the cargo pull-shade/cover is for....to hide valuables from prying eyes. And smashing a window on many modern cars will set off the security-alarm.

However, I agree with you that, given the choice, it's better to leave an unlocked empty car than to have something like your wedding-album, wedding-ring, check-book, or wallet laying inside.

Going away and leaving the car unlocked is one thing, but you mean you ALSO leave the keys in it? That could be just asking for trouble.

Fortunately, the electronics in some modern key/fobs won't allow the doors to be locked if the keys are still in the ignition or not taken with you.
I have not done this lately, but I used to hide the key somewhere in the car so it was not lost during back country skiing, hiking etc.
Old 10-16-11, 10:49 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boston PD sucks for doing this. People should be free to leave their cars unlocked if the wanted to.

I used to have a Miata and i NEVER locked it. In the years I owned it, I never once had a problem. People should have the freedom to park their cars on their own property and face the consequences.

I'm sure they are trampling on our Constitutional rights somewhere. Is it okay for them to lock my front door for me as well? No way!!!

God Bless America!
Old 10-18-11, 04:44 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van
Boston PD sucks for doing this. People should be free to leave their cars unlocked if the wanted to.

I used to have a Miata and i NEVER locked it. In the years I owned it, I never once had a problem. People should have the freedom to park their cars on their own property and face the consequences.

I'm sure they are trampling on our Constitutional rights somewhere. Is it okay for them to lock my front door for me as well? No way!!!

God Bless America!
And of course they shouldn't be allowed to file a police report if something is stolen from their unlocked vehicle/home. All of our insurance premiums go up due to theft and police resources are wasted filing the paperwork involved with a report. So, if you want to leave your car unlocked, don't expect reimbursement for any lost valuables.

But I also agree that this isn't the polices' responsibility to enforce. If there is in fact a law that says its illegal to leave your property unsecured, the punishment should be forfeiture of ability to file a claim.
Old 10-18-11, 07:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

why is that? just because you leave your car unlocked doesnt mean you deserve to have your stuff jacked...

what happens if you forget to lock your house one day, you shouldn't be allowed to claim homeowners when some thug comes in and takes your stuff?

thieves are the ones ultimately at fault here. not owners. Owners should take responsibility yes, like not leaving crap in your car that's valuable in the first place, but that doesn't make it allowable.