Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-gen Nissan Altima Hybrid to feature supercharged 2.5L engine, advanced CVT, li-i

Old 10-13-11, 08:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next-gen Nissan Altima Hybrid to feature supercharged 2.5L engine, advanced CVT, li-i

Next-gen Nissan Altima Hybrid to feature supercharged 2.5L engine, advanced CVT, li-ion battery

The next-generation Nissan Altima mid-size sedan will be the first Nissan vehicle equipped with the automaker's first-ever, in-house developed, front-wheel-drive hybrid system. The hybrid setup, due in 2013, will be replace the Toyota-based system, which Nissan used in the now-axed Altima Hybrid, according to Masayuki Yasuoka, a senior exec in Nissan's next-generation powertrain group.

Nissan's upcoming gas-electric setup will be loosely based on the hybrid system found in the rear-wheel-drive 2012 Infiniti M35h, meaning it will feature a two-clutch, single-motor, lithium-ion battery setup. But instead of the 3.5-liter V6 engine that powers the M35h, the Altima Hybrid will likely pack a surpercharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder powerplant, mated to a new, advanced Xtronic continously variable transmission.

All this intel was reportedly revealed during a recent test drive at Nissan's Oppama proving grounds in Japan. Yasuoka declined to comment on which Nissan model would get the in-house developed hybrid system, but the Altima seems the most likely candidate.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/13/n...ed-2-5l-engin/
Old 10-15-11, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Interesting powertrain set-up if it comes to fruition. Wonder what the hp figures will look like
Old 10-15-11, 04:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i am willing to bet anything that this particular setup will not come close to Altima.
Maybe their SUVs or Infiniti.

Why would you supercharge 2.5l engine for hybrid? To get 250-270hp system? Nobody wants 250hp+ Altima hybrid at 30k+.

They introduced new Micra with miller cycle and this is what this is all about... but there they used s/c on 1.3l 3cly engine to make it more economical and powerful, and got best in class results.
Old 11-29-11, 06:52 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Update

Every automaker is intent on downsizing its engines and adding some kind of hybrid component to its vehicles, and Nissan is no different. Today in Japan, Nissan introduced its latest in-house-developed hybrid drive system, comprised of a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine and a compact lithium-ion battery pack. But here's the kicker: it's packing a twin-screw supercharger on top.

According to engineers we spoke with, that means the same output as Nissan's tried-and-true 3.5-liter V6 – somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque – all while returning fuel economy improvements of up to 10% when mated to Nissan's all-new continuously variable transmission (expect more on that later).

Engineers claim that the torque curve of the new supercharged mill is nearly identical to the V6 and that power delivery will be just as seamless as the 3.5-liter. Officially, Nissan says that a model packing the new engine is due to arrive in 2013 in North America, and it's safe to assume that's going to be the next-generation Altima.

Nissan reps confirmed that the combination of superchargers and hybrids will proliferate throughout the automaker's lineup in the coming years, and that's sure to extend to Infiniti, as well. That last bit has us pontificating that the mystery mid-engine Infiniti concept coming to the Geneva Motor Show could be packing a variant of this same mill, but augmented with plug-in tech. We'll find out soon enough...
Old 11-29-11, 07:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting.

RANT AHEAD:

On a sidenote: screw the EPA. Nothing bothers me more than the government mandating unnecessary regulations on businesses when consumers with purchase power should have more control over what happens in the so-called "free" market.

It's my personal belief that even without EPA standards and regulations, automakers would have entered into an MPG-war, not unlike the horsepower war, on their own agenda. The market is asking for more efficient cars and has done so without the help of the EPA. With the next car I buy, efficiency will be a very important consideration. I don't need the government to tell me how important it is...my wallet and bank account do that for me.

Nearly every auto maker is trying to catch the Prius. Until recently, the Fusion hybrid was a benchmark for midsize family sedan MPG. The RX450h seems untouchable for MPG in the luxury segment. New GS hybrid gets 29/34/31. I think there is some government influence here because automakers have to consider upcoming EPA standards, but I just don't think such government intervention is necessary. Ford, Toyota and others have proven that there is a very high demand for high-efficiency cars and the rest of the market is still struggling to catch up...because consumers want to buy these cars.

Lexus, Audi and BMW dropping V8s in favor of V6s really bothers me because there's nothing like the smoothness and linear power delivery of a high end V8. In the same vein, I don't think I'd ever buy a midsize family sedan like a Camry or Altima without a V6. I drove 4 cylinder cars for plenty of years and I don't like them: they're loud, they're often unrefined, and they are nowhere near as smooth as a V6. I know plenty of advancements and refinements have been made to recent four cylinders, but it's nowhere close to a V6, in the same way that I have yet to drive a V6 that can touch a V8 in terms of smoothness.

I see the point in the EPA standards, but have to disagree with how their oversight is progressing and affecting the industry. I literally don't think it's impossible to see 4cyl hybrid full size luxury sedans in the next few years....who wants that? Not me. Let consumers dictate what happens in the market...we don't need the government's help here.

RON PAUL 2012! <--sorry, had to get my plug in since it's related to the topic of shutting down the EPA
Old 11-29-11, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Why would you supercharge 2.5l engine for hybrid? To get 250-270hp system? Nobody wants 250hp+ Altima hybrid at 30k+.
because they have no choice. govt economy rules will mandate all kinds of bizarre and expensive solutions, forcing the consumer to get screwed into buying technology they don't want and don't need.

"we're the govt and we're here to help"
Old 11-29-11, 09:09 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the EPA and the Obama administration, let the market give us a fuel efficient cars not Washington.
Old 11-29-11, 09:33 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS69
According to engineers we spoke with, that means the same output as Nissan's tried-and-true 3.5-liter V6 – somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque – all while returning fuel economy improvements of up to 10% when mated to Nissan's all-new continuously variable transmission (expect more on that later).
All that for a paltry 10% fuel economy improvement, from 20/27 of the current Altima V6 to what, 22/30? Am I reading this right?

Or are they referring to 10% improvement over the current Altima Hybrid (from 33/33 to 36/36)? If so it would be quite impressive that it can deliver such horsepower output with that kind of fuel economy.
Old 11-29-11, 02:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I actually don't blame government for the regulation. In fact it makes sense for them to do so. Why? Because consumers are dumb. So every time that the price of gas drops people flock to cars that are bigger and more powerful and less efficient. And then when the price increases, it's always "the government's fault" or "why didn't you do something about fuel economy" etc, etc.
Old 11-29-11, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I actually don't blame government for the regulation. In fact it makes sense for them to do so. Why? Because consumers are dumb. So every time that the price of gas drops people flock to cars that are bigger and more powerful and less efficient. And then when the price increases, it's always "the government's fault" or "why didn't you do something about fuel economy" etc, etc.
Cause that's what they want!
Old 11-29-11, 03:15 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cause that's what they want!
What you say is true--but these same people then will complain LOUDLY when gas prices rise.

Either **** about gas prices or buy a more fuel efficient car. You can't have it both ways.
Old 11-29-11, 03:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by C. McHale
What you say is true--but these same people then will complain LOUDLY when gas prices rise.

Either **** about gas prices or buy a more fuel efficient car. You can't have it both ways.
Yup, it's a damned if they do, and damned if they don't situation.
Old 11-29-11, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
All that for a paltry 10% fuel economy improvement, from 20/27 of the current Altima V6 to what, 22/30? Am I reading this right?

Or are they referring to 10% improvement over the current Altima Hybrid (from 33/33 to 36/36)? If so it would be quite impressive that it can deliver such horsepower output with that kind of fuel economy.
they reffer to V6, but I dont think 10% is correct number, it makes no sense... As supercharged fwd 4cly Hybrid, it should get better mpg than GS450h.

If you think about it - this car will be 15% lighter and 20% less powerful than GS450h, all while being 4cly and FWD. So it should get really good numbers. Maybe even that 35-36 mpg.
Old 11-29-11, 03:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
they reffer to V6, but I dont think 10% is correct number, it makes no sense... As supercharged fwd 4cly Hybrid, it should get better mpg than GS450h.

If you think about it - this car will be 15% lighter and 20% less powerful than GS450h, all while being 4cly and FWD. So it should get really good numbers. Maybe even that 35-36 mpg.
So at 35-36mpg the 10% gain must be referring to the current Altima Hybrid then. Only makes sense that way.
Old 11-29-11, 05:31 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if the coupe is gonna get this also?

I enjoyed the 3.5SE 6spd coupe when i test drove it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next-gen Nissan Altima Hybrid to feature supercharged 2.5L engine, advanced CVT, li-i