Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Imported from Detroit. More like Imported from Canada.

Old 10-12-11, 09:57 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imported from Detroit. More like Imported from Canada.

A United States consumer lobby group is taking Chrysler to task over advertisements depicting the Chrysler 300 as "Imported from Detroit." The luxury sedan is assembled in Brampton, Ont.

In a complaint filed to the United States Federal Trade Commission on Monday, the non-profit Made in USA Foundation argues that "Chrysler's false advertising is likely to cause substantial injury to consumers who seek to buy U.S.-made vehicles."

"I don't think Detroit's in Canada, the last time I checked," said Joel Joseph, chair of the California-based foundation.

Chrysler's "Imported from Detroit" campaign started in February with a two-minute Super Bowl ad featuring Detroit-born rapper Eminem driving through the city in a Chrysler 200, which is assembled in Detroit. "When it comes to luxury, it's as much about where it's from, as who it's for," says a deep-voiced narrator.

The campaign hit the Made in USA Foundation's radar in May when Chrysler extended the "Imported from Detroit" moniker to the Chrysler 300. Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and fashion designer John Varvatos are similarly depicted cruising gritty American streetscapes in the Ontario-made vehicles. Often, the cars are powered by Mexican-made engines. "The ads are clever, but they are false," writes Mr. Joseph in a prepared release.

The Chrysler Town and Country minivan, which is assembled in Windsor, Ont., has similarly appeared in ads sporting the Imported from Detroit slogan.

"'Imported from Detroit' is sort of a fanciful reference, it was never intended as a literal reference," said Chrysler spokesman Michael Palese. "It's more of an image and marketing type program."

The company has played with geography in its ads before. In a 1974 Chrysler ad campaign featuring actor Ricardo Montalban, the company boasted of upholstering its cars with "soft Corinthian leather." Rather than coming from the Greek municipality of Corinth, however, the leather came from New Jersey.

The Made in USA Foundation's petition comes just as U.S. President Barack Obama is touting a US$447-billion jobs plan replete with a "Buy American" clause that would prohibit the use of foreignmade manufactured goods in public works projects.

As U.S. auto commentators are quick to note, however, the nationality of a modern car is notoriously hard to trace. "American" cars like the Ford Fusion and the Buick Regal are made in Mexico and Germany, respectively. The Japanese-manufactured Toyota Camry, Sienna and Tundra meanwhile, are comprised of 80% U.S. parts.

On Monday, the Made in USA foundation also filed a complaint against Ford for a radio ad in which the Oakville, Ont.-built Ford Edge is referred to as an "American car."

Ironically, the Made in USA Foundation was created in 1989 by a partial grant from the Ford Motor Co.
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...#ixzz1aaU6VNJW

Now that might cause some problems. I know Canada we have laws against ads that are misleading or false. I am not sure if the US has similar laws though.
Old 10-12-11, 10:55 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This was an interesting read. Fun trivia
Old 10-12-11, 11:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

lol. you gotta have an probem when you advertise Made in America and Made in Detroit for foreign cars.
Old 10-12-11, 12:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

My friend kept giving me crap when I bought my Lexus because it was made in Japan, whereas his was made in the States. I referred him to the door jamb on his car....MADE IN CANADA. Lol.

EDIT: Also, it's not like Chrysler is even an American company anymore. It's an Italian company that produces vehicles in Canada and Mexico.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 10-12-11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
EDIT: Also, it's not like Chrysler is even an American company anymore. It's an Italian company that produces vehicles in Canada and Mexico.
Hehe in short: "Multinational"

You now have Grand Voyagers rebadged as Lancias in Europe........then you have the upcoming Maserati SUV (that is made in Detroit alongside a Jeep) and there are plans for a Chrysler flagship to be rebranded as an Alfa Romeo.

That's some hilarious badge-engineering right there
Old 10-12-11, 03:18 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
My friend kept giving me crap when I bought my Lexus because it was made in Japan, whereas his was made in the States. I referred him to the door jamb on his car....MADE IN CANADA. Lol.

Imported from Venice does have a nice ring to it.

I really find it hilarious when Chrysler still tries to wrap itself in the American flag. They haven't been American in 14 years.
Old 10-12-11, 05:15 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Chrysler plant in Brampton was opened in 1986 by AMC, then owned by Renault, to build the Eagle Premier. That plant (then called Bramalea), along with the Jeep line, were the main benefits to Chrysler in their 1987 acquisition of AMC.
Old 10-12-11, 07:32 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I live about 30 miles from Brampton and always get a good giggle out of that commercial LOL

I always thought that someone from Europe (Fiat?) may have created the commercial as from Italy looking at North America, Brampton may appear as a suburb of Detroit
Old 10-12-11, 07:54 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I love telling this to people who own Chrysler's and make fun of my Lexus.
Old 10-12-11, 08:12 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I love telling this to people who own Chrysler's and make fun of my Lexus.
how often does this happen haha? I don't know anyone who owns a chrysler
Old 10-12-11, 08:26 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

From brand view, I don't see how can a Chrysler owner can make fun of a Lexus owner.