Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The worst-selling cars of 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 11:07 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No, you missed the memo when we did jumped on the HS design
If it's ugly, we'll call it ugly even if it's a lexus.

It's just not us calling acura and honda ugly...........besides the magazines, even the honda/acura members are gouging their eyes out
Yeap, with the CT out, HS is a pointless model. Where does it slot? Nowhere, too much overlap now.
The CT does what the HS intended to do, but better and looks better.

Last edited by Squirrelz; 10-11-11 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
Yeap, with the CT out, HS is a pointless model. Where does it slot? Nowhere, too much overlap now.
The CT does what the HS intended to do, but better and looks better.
they could have just dump the HS setup into the ES and call it ES250h and i think that would have done better
Old 10-12-11, 03:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
they could have just dump the HS setup into the ES and call it ES250h and i think that would have done better
HS main issue is that it looks like Corolla despite being based on one class higher car - Avensis.
Obviously there is quite an difference between the 3:
- CTh - C segment vehicle.
- HS - D segment vehicle.
- ES - E segment vehicle.

Difference is exactly as it should be.

If they made it a little bit nicer looking, they could have sold it in Europe, where we understand the difference and ES is like a boat for us :-).
Old 10-12-11, 06:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Oh yeah, how could I forget? My gripe list with Honda/Acura is so long that I can't even remember everything all in one post. Yes the long-promised NSX replacement has never materialized. The S2000 was discontinued without a replacement. The "flagship" Acura RL is using the same SOHC VTEC system as a 1993 Honda Civic. Oh wait, they finally added variable cam-phasing to that. Guess what else has variable cam-phasing on SOHC? The Ford F-150 pickups, and they had it first.

Throttleless engines with continuously variable valve lift (aka BMW's Valvetronic) should have been a Honda innovation, but instead they've been sitting on their asses since 1990 doing squat. The J-series SOHC VTEC V6 engine line is now going to be 16 years old. Toyota came out with the excellent GR series which features direct/dual injection and has a wider range of displacements. Nissan has iterated the VQ engine several times over and has continuously variable valve lift in the top-end version now as well. Honda, nada. The new Civic Si is out and, wow, now it has the 2.4L 200hp K24 VTEC engine rather than the old K20, and still not the 2.3L turbo which that car was dying for also. Another missed opportunity IMHO. No DSG type gearboxes. Still mostly boring 5 speed automatics with the same boring too long gearing. Wow the Odyssey and some of the higher end Acuras now have 6 speed automatics. Yippy. Honda was a leader in CVT transmissions, but Nissan has stolen the show from Honda on that now, and their Altima gets better mileage than the Accord does. You can't even count on Hondas for the best mileage anymore either. No Hybrid Accord. The Hyundai Elantra gets better mileage than the Civic, and the Civic isn't even recommended anymore by Consumer Reports.

Their designs are boring, their cars are boring, their technologies are old and boring, they don't lead in performance or driving or braking or handling or mileage, and there's nothing that their cars do that somebody else doesn't do better or has already been doing for longer. The new Odyssey is supposedly pretty darn good and clearly better than the Sienna. Wow. They build a great minivan. Outstanding.

I'm tired now, can I stop?

They have two things going for them. What little is left of their reputation from the 1990s and the brand loyalty that comes with it, and the fact that their cars are still pretty darned reliable. And that's about it.
He just Randy Watson'd the thread!

Damn 100% on point!

Old 10-12-11, 10:14 AM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Acuras are all ugly and lol at the ridgeline.
Old 10-12-11, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

They have two things going for them. What little is left of their reputation from the 1990s and the brand loyalty that comes with it, and the fact that their cars are still pretty darned reliable. And that's about it./
Athough there have been a couple of issues over the years, in general, reliability/build quality has been what primarily sells Hondas and Acuras. But that is nothing to sneeze at......for many car buyers, reliability is at or near the top of their priority-list. But reliability can only go so far when combined with controversial styling.....the Acura ZDX has proved that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-13-11 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 10:55 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda has been too busy designing robots and corporate jets to care about cars.
Old 10-12-11, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Honda has been too busy designing robots and corporate jets to care about cars.
Can't just point a finger at Honda for that. Saab and Mitsubishi (still) build aircraft. Much of the Swedish air force, BTW, comes from Saab.
Old 10-12-11, 12:48 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's so funny seeing how everyone on a Lexus forum is lamenting the loss of Honda.

Someone needs to send this thread to the folks at Honda Motor Co. You don't need no stinkin' MBA to see what's wrong with the company and what needs to be done.
Old 10-12-11, 01:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

^^^ All the cars I personally bought before my first Lexus are Honda's and Acura's , I'd be esctatic if they build a new NSX with comparable performance and feel to the LFA @ 1/3 to 40% of the price ...
Old 10-12-11, 03:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honda has made a lot of mistakes, but their bread and butter models are doing quite well. Things like ZDX, RL and Hybrids might be flops, but they were never meant to be large volume sellers, so Honda is still in a pretty good shape. However with competition for Hyundai and Kia, things might change drastically very soon if Honda doesn't stay focused.
Old 10-12-11, 04:13 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
It's so funny seeing how everyone on a Lexus forum is lamenting the loss of Honda.

Someone needs to send this thread to the folks at Honda Motor Co. You don't need no stinkin' MBA to see what's wrong with the company and what needs to be done.
I think the reason for the passion in this thread, is that alot of us on here used to drive Honda's/Acura's but have felt let down by new products sans the 90's.
Old 10-12-11, 10:00 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I'm pretty sure Toyota couldn't give two ****s about how well the LC sells in the US. The car is practically their halo model and they know it.

And it most certainly still does have lots of fans.
Exactly. The Landcruiser is very well renowned throughout the world...Toyota's not worried...
Old 10-12-11, 10:40 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

steVTEC... your post was EPIC!!!
Old 10-13-11, 02:31 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of Honda cars look horrible now. I'm not surprised that most on the list are Hondas. I'm just surprised they kept the ugly design for so long. I love Hondas and owned two before, but these new models look horrific. I do like the new land cruiser but the price tag will just send chills down my spine.

Quick Reply: The worst-selling cars of 2011