Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The worst-selling cars of 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 01:15 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That modded ZDX does look decent. We've all been saying for years how Honda has lost it way with terrible direction of its designs.

Who needs focus groups when they can just come to Club Lexus Car Chat?
Old 10-11-11, 07:00 AM
LexFather

Note what wheels are on the ZDX to kind of help the looks out That was a custom job the owner did to fit on there.

Originally Posted by Phil2005
Of course everyone jumps to attack Acura and Honda, if the HS was on the list everyone would deny it and find an excuse. Though some models like the RL need to be killed, I find the TL,TSX,MDX good looking and more fun to drive then most Lexus models.
No Acura/Honda jumped on themselves with slow cars, ugly designs and no technology. The entire automotive world is on the same page in regards to the two brands, right now, a running joke. FWD Acura's are not more fun to drive than most Lexus models and sure are significantly slower. The TL SH-AWD long name 6 M is their best car ,9 people own it and none track it.

The CT F sport, IS F, IS Sport, GS F sport, LS sport & LFA would run circle around most Acura's.

They need to worry about Hyundai & Buick more than anyone right now as Lexus is about ten steps above them. No comparison, no reason to even debate it.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-11-11 at 07:08 AM.

Old 10-11-11, 08:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Of course everyone jumps to attack Acura and Honda, if the HS was on the list everyone would deny it and find an excuse. Though some models like the RL need to be killed, I find the TL,TSX,MDX good looking and more fun to drive then most Lexus models.
you missed the part where a few of us jumped on the toyota LC as well for its silly pricing?

if? we will talk about it when "if" happens. but then again i always think the HS is a stupid car that should have never existed anyway
Old 10-11-11, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I can understand the slow sales of some of the other models here, but, IMO, there is no plausible reason why the Hyundai Equus should not be selling (other than its insulting choice of only four exterior colors). This car, for the money, is a buy-and-a-half.

The TSX Sportwagon had the potential to be a great-seller, and compete with the Venza and Subaru wagons, but Acura, stubbornly, will not give it the SH-AWD, a raised-suspension, or a V6 option.

Ugliness, BTW (besides, of course, being subjective), does not necessarily mean low sales. Most of us here at CAR CHAT would consider the present Acura TL ugly (or at least awkward-looking), yet its sales-figures aren't bad at all.
Old 10-11-11, 09:23 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can understand the slow sales of some of the other models here, but, IMO, there is no plausible reason why the Hyundai Equus should not be selling (other than its insulting choice of only four exterior colors). This car, for the money, is a buy-and-a-half.

The TSX Sportwagon had the potential to be a great-seller, and compete with the Venza and Subaru wagons, but Acura, stubbornly, will not give it the SH-AWD, a raised-suspension, or a V6 option.

Ugliness, BTW (besides, of course, being subjective), does not necessarily mean low sales. Most of us here at CAR CHAT would consider the present Acura TL ugly (or at least awkward-looking), yet its sales-figures aren't bad at all.
I made the same mistake the article was saying the Equus was selling well and they were actually trying to say the Azera was selling badly.
Old 10-11-11, 09:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

No, you missed the memo when we did jumped on the HS design
If it's ugly, we'll call it ugly even if it's a lexus.

It's just not us calling acura and honda ugly...........besides the magazines, even the honda/acura members are gouging their eyes out
Old 10-11-11, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I made the same mistake the article was saying the Equus was selling well and they were actually trying to say the Azera was selling badly.
I noticed the discrepancy in the article, too. Actually, both the Equus and Azera are selling rather poorly. Many high-end Hyundai buyers have been moving to the Genesis.
Old 10-11-11, 10:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
For Och:

That's about as good as it gets for the ZDX. Painted beak helps the front.
Also blacked out tails and headlights make this car look even better.

I see quite a few ZDXes on the roads here in NYC, and I find them very good looking in black and white. I don't care for silved/tan/grey models, they look like poo.
Old 10-11-11, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW! Honda and Acura just keep getting worse and worse. I really have no idea why they let Acura get so bad off. The designs have been repulsive and just weird.

Its like the old saying " don't judge a book by its cover".....well if the book looks boring as stupid who the hell is going to even pick it up. Acura needs a new design team . Maybe they can steal a designer away from Mercedes or Audi like Kia did
Old 10-11-11, 03:40 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised to see so many Acuras on the list either. Honda and Acura both seriously have no clue and are paralyzed into either indecision, or the most boring of possible compromises.

Honda promised everybody a "high-torque" V6 for the Ridgeline. Nada.
Honda promised turbodiesel V6 engines. Nada.
Honda promised a turbodiesel 4-cylinder and other TD cars for the U.S. Nada
You still can't even get a manumatic auto in most Hondas, "because that's reserved for Acuras" (are you freaking kidding me?)

There were plans for a V8 powered car on a RWD platform for Acura. Nada. They finally did something other than a SOHC VTEC V6 with the 2.3L turbo, but it's port injected, down on compression ratio, down on fuel mileage, and up on turbo lag. The TSX was screeeeeaming for that engine though, along with a 6MT tranny, but when it came time to give the TSX more power what did they do? Put the most boring possible 3.5L V6 5AT in it, that's already in every other car they have. Not even a manual with the V6 in the TSX. Gotta step up to the fatter bigger uglier TL for that? The SportWagon had tons of potential, but only the boring 2.4L NA engine and the extra boring automatic. Come on.

Sad sad sad.
Old 10-11-11, 04:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Not surprised to see so many Acuras on the list either. Honda and Acura both seriously have no clue and are paralyzed into either indecision, or the most boring of possible compromises.

Honda promised everybody a "high-torque" V6 for the Ridgeline. Nada.
Honda promised turbodiesel V6 engines. Nada.
Honda promised a turbodiesel 4-cylinder and other TD cars for the U.S. Nada
You still can't even get a manumatic auto in most Hondas, "because that's reserved for Acuras" (are you freaking kidding me?)

There were plans for a V8 powered car on a RWD platform for Acura. Nada. They finally did something other than a SOHC VTEC V6 with the 2.3L turbo, but it's port injected, down on compression ratio, down on fuel mileage, and up on turbo lag. The TSX was screeeeeaming for that engine though, along with a 6MT tranny, but when it came time to give the TSX more power what did they do? Put the most boring possible 3.5L V6 5AT in it, that's already in every other car they have. Not even a manual with the V6 in the TSX. Gotta step up to the fatter bigger uglier TL for that? The SportWagon had tons of potential, but only the boring 2.4L NA engine and the extra boring automatic. Come on.

Sad sad sad.
Completely agreed. And they promised NSX replacement, nada, new gen RSX, nada, wanna a real sports car, like the s2000, nada!
Old 10-11-11, 09:33 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Acura's guillotine nose has pretty much "killed" the brand. Sad that Acura can't seem to get into tier one luxury, considering Honda was the first Japanese brand to create a luxury division in the U.S..

I actually really like the 1st gen TSX, which was the European Accord.
Old 10-11-11, 09:42 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Completely agreed. And they promised NSX replacement, nada, new gen RSX, nada, wanna a real sports car, like the s2000, nada!
Oh yeah, how could I forget? My gripe list with Honda/Acura is so long that I can't even remember everything all in one post. Yes the long-promised NSX replacement has never materialized. The S2000 was discontinued without a replacement. The "flagship" Acura RL is using the same SOHC VTEC system as a 1993 Honda Civic. Oh wait, they finally added variable cam-phasing to that. Guess what else has variable cam-phasing on SOHC? The Ford F-150 pickups, and they had it first.

Throttleless engines with continuously variable valve lift (aka BMW's Valvetronic) should have been a Honda innovation, but instead they've been sitting on their asses since 1990 doing squat. The J-series SOHC VTEC V6 engine line is now going to be 16 years old. Toyota came out with the excellent GR series which features direct/dual injection and has a wider range of displacements. Nissan has iterated the VQ engine several times over and has continuously variable valve lift in the top-end version now as well. Honda, nada. The new Civic Si is out and, wow, now it has the 2.4L 200hp K24 VTEC engine rather than the old K20, and still not the 2.3L turbo which that car was dying for also. Another missed opportunity IMHO. No DSG type gearboxes. Still mostly boring 5 speed automatics with the same boring too long gearing. Wow the Odyssey and some of the higher end Acuras now have 6 speed automatics. Yippy. Honda was a leader in CVT transmissions, but Nissan has stolen the show from Honda on that now, and their Altima gets better mileage than the Accord does. You can't even count on Hondas for the best mileage anymore either. No Hybrid Accord. The Hyundai Elantra gets better mileage than the Civic, and the Civic isn't even recommended anymore by Consumer Reports.

Their designs are boring, their cars are boring, their technologies are old and boring, they don't lead in performance or driving or braking or handling or mileage, and there's nothing that their cars do that somebody else doesn't do better or has already been doing for longer. The new Odyssey is supposedly pretty darn good and clearly better than the Sienna. Wow. They build a great minivan. Outstanding.

I'm tired now, can I stop?

They have two things going for them. What little is left of their reputation from the 1990s and the brand loyalty that comes with it, and the fact that their cars are still pretty darned reliable. And that's about it.
Old 10-11-11, 10:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you are a guru! Actually Honda, is what got me into car theme, I still remember when I bought my first accord, civic hatch, and teg gsr. The good old days.
Old 10-11-11, 10:57 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Oh yeah, how could I forget? My gripe list with Honda/Acura is so long that I can't even remember everything all in one post. Yes the long-promised NSX replacement has never materialized. The S2000 was discontinued without a replacement. The "flagship" Acura RL is using the same SOHC VTEC system as a 1993 Honda Civic. Oh wait, they finally added variable cam-phasing to that. Guess what else has variable cam-phasing on SOHC? The Ford F-150 pickups, and they had it first.

Throttleless engines with continuously variable valve lift (aka BMW's Valvetronic) should have been a Honda innovation, but instead they've been sitting on their asses since 1990 doing squat. The J-series SOHC VTEC V6 engine line is now going to be 16 years old. Toyota came out with the excellent GR series which features direct/dual injection and has a wider range of displacements. Nissan has iterated the VQ engine several times over and has continuously variable valve lift in the top-end version now as well. Honda, nada. The new Civic Si is out and, wow, now it has the 2.4L 200hp K24 VTEC engine rather than the old K20, and still not the 2.3L turbo which that car was dying for also. Another missed opportunity IMHO. No DSG type gearboxes. Still mostly boring 5 speed automatics with the same boring too long gearing. Wow the Odyssey and some of the higher end Acuras now have 6 speed automatics. Yippy. Honda was a leader in CVT transmissions, but Nissan has stolen the show from Honda on that now, and their Altima gets better mileage than the Accord does. You can't even count on Hondas for the best mileage anymore either. No Hybrid Accord. The Hyundai Elantra gets better mileage than the Civic, and the Civic isn't even recommended anymore by Consumer Reports.

Their designs are boring, their cars are boring, their technologies are old and boring, they don't lead in performance or driving or braking or handling or mileage, and there's nothing that their cars do that somebody else doesn't do better or has already been doing for longer. The new Odyssey is supposedly pretty darn good and clearly better than the Sienna. Wow. They build a great minivan. Outstanding.

I'm tired now, can I stop?

They have two things going for them. What little is left of their reputation from the 1990s and the brand loyalty that comes with it, and the fact that their cars are still pretty darned reliable. And that's about it.

wow, 100% dead on. i grew up with 90's Hondas. it's really sad to see Honda/Acura going down this way. my wife's '09 TL has the same fan noise that my previous '04 Accord V6 had whenever A/C is on, just plain sad. the only thing going for Honda was the S2000 after toyota discontinued MR2 Spider and Celica, but they killed that too for no reason, it was still selling pretty good at the time. maybe the launch of Toyota/Subaru's rwd sports coupe will finally wake Honda up and give us something to look forward to.

Quick Reply: The worst-selling cars of 2011