Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Ads drifting plain jane FWD cars
Yes, its better than RWD
0%
I drift my goat
21.05%
It took them 503,290 takes to finally get it right
5.26%
Lame. End of discussion
73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

If I see one more lame ad with a FWD car trying to drift.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Although our driving impression is limited to the track, a few things are readily apparent in the TL six-speed. First: all that measuring was worth it. The clutch pedal is as smooth and progressive as any car we’ve driven, in stark contrast to the spasmodic pedal in the Infiniti G35 (although Infiniti has made improvements with the G37). The same goes for the shift lever, which continues in the Honda/Acura tradition. Shifting in the TL is so easy that it requires almost no attention, leaving your focus on the road ahead.

When designing the manual transmission for the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, engineers actually measured the shift stroke of its competitive cars. Obviously—why else would Acura tell us this?—the TL has the shortest throw in its class at 3.5 inches. Engineers also measured clutch pedal engagement and disengagement effort. We’re fans of short-throw shifters and smooth clutch pedals, but going so far as to quantify those normally subjective qualities is something we don’t see very often. We’re not about to complain, though, given Honda/Acura’s reputation for slick-shifting manuals.
This is true. Honda and Acura, traditionally, have done what are arguably the slickest-shifting FWD manual-transmissions in the buisness.
Old 10-09-11, 07:00 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-09-11, 09:12 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, you CAN blame people. Dumb is dumb, regardless of who does the commercial.

I watch WWE, for example (both RAW and Smackdown) knowing that it is a circus-show, not a real sport, and that virtually all of it is carefully-staged. But, obviously, that doesn't mean I'm dumb enough to try those stunts myself.
Well said! Nice to see another wrestling junkie on CL. I knew there was more to you than your cool reviews and passion of all things Subaru.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, no one brought litigation against Subaru with the Outback/Hulk-Hogan ads, when Hogan was slamming one around on tough off-road conditions, in chase-scenes, that Outbacks were obviously never designed for. Nor was Pontiac ever sued for its Montana minivan ads that (again) pictured the minivan on Macho/cowboy off-road scenes that it was also never intended for. So why sue Honda or Kia for another silly ad? Many ads, in fact, are an insult to one's intelligence.......It's just a fact that one has to accept in life. If I sued for every dumb ad I ever saw I would literally never be out of court. Most of the time I just hit the "mute" button.

I just recently did a poll right here in CAR CHAT, for example, over what you guys thought were the worst TV car-insurance ads (another industry known for chimp-level advertising).
I take you meant Paul Hogan. I guess you were still on the WWE/F kick.