Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy a new car! Advice would be great!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 01:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd go for the Accord Coupe. You would be satisfying one side of your brain with the styling and satisfying the other side of your brain with the practicality and reliability. Honda = still very reliable.
Old 10-07-11, 01:21 PM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nissan Maxima is nice.
Old 10-07-11, 01:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nikko2jzge
The Nissan Maxima is nice.
Hmm i think the Altima is more comparable to the Camry and Accord OP is looking at. The Maxima starts at over $30 for a base model.

You should check out the Altima Hybrid's. I saw a 2010 for $22,000 at a dealership in San Diego. My girlfriend actually just a 2008 Altima, all the options but Navigation for $14,900 with 30k left on the warranty. I love the interior and it gets 36mpg in the city. My gf squeezes about 38mpg mixed city/highway...and its a full size car, except the trunk which is smaller because of the Hybrid battery.

Also have you considered buying a car Certified Pre-Owned? There's some great deals on CPO cars right now. Usually they carry the warranty up to 100k, and whoever had the car first already ate most of the car's depreciation. I think CPO is a smart way to go if your not one of those people that has to have a new car lol.
Old 10-07-11, 03:12 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Honda's cost cutting has become more apparent as of late, I'd go CPO Lexus for the same price.
Old 10-07-11, 09:29 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Keep 'em coming!

If I had to buy a luxury car, I would buy a Lexus. I think Im going to get my dad the RX (he loves SUVs) in a year or 2.

I simply can't justify spending 30k+ on a car that I will use as a commuter car, and a Lexus at that.

And like MMarshall, I prefer buying a new car for some reason

The Accord EX coupe is going at around 22-23k near my area without any negotiation so I'm sure I can get it down a little lower if I really wanted to. And I think that's a ridiculous great price for the EX coupe, which is a very beautiful car.

And the FT-86 does interest me, but I doubt its MPG would be anywhere close to reasonable, since the car is a enthusiast/sporty car.

The Mazda's brand really isn't very reliable. I hear many bad things about it. Hyundai's styling just doesn't appeal to me at all; it looks like a spaceship.

I was looking at getting a few of Toyota's new offering: Prius (but low power), Corrola (that design is like turning back 20 years). The Camry is definitely an option, and I will definitely test drive it when it arrives at my dealership.
Old 10-07-11, 11:49 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The Maxima starts at over $30 for a base model.
Yeah, but you can easily buy one for $25k.
Old 10-08-11, 12:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Of the two, go with the Accord. You'll be trading off the cloud-like ride of the Camry for a slightly more road feel with the Accord but the car is still very smooth.

Sedan vs Sedan, the Camry looks better to me. But the Accord coupe without the ugly base wheel looks very nice! It's probably the only Honda car I would buy at the moment. No need to worry about reliability either. The K24 (or J35 if you get the V6) are bulletproof engine. They've been around for over a decade.
Old 10-08-11, 05:05 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Thanks for all the advice, guys. Keep 'em coming!

If I had to buy a luxury car, I would buy a Lexus. I think Im going to get my dad the RX (he loves SUVs) in a year or 2.

I simply can't justify spending 30k+ on a car that I will use as a commuter car, and a Lexus at that.

And like MMarshall, I prefer buying a new car for some reason

The Accord EX coupe is going at around 22-23k near my area without any negotiation so I'm sure I can get it down a little lower if I really wanted to. And I think that's a ridiculous great price for the EX coupe, which is a very beautiful car.

And the FT-86 does interest me, but I doubt its MPG would be anywhere close to reasonable, since the car is a enthusiast/sporty car.

The Mazda's brand really isn't very reliable. I hear many bad things about it. Hyundai's styling just doesn't appeal to me at all; it looks like a spaceship.

I was looking at getting a few of Toyota's new offering: Prius (but low power), Corrola (that design is like turning back 20 years). The Camry is definitely an option, and I will definitely test drive it when it arrives at my dealership.
Gah if it wasn't for the fact that you liked buying a new car, i'd say get a CPO IS250. I love mine, and it nets me 30-33mpg on my work commute. Got it for around $21K too CPO!
Old 10-08-11, 05:07 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One of my co-workers has a late-model Accord V6 coupe he uses for his long commute (probably 80 miles each way). Last I talked to him, he was nearing 200K miles with no major issues. The only reason he is considering something else is that they are starting a family and a 2-door car is a major hassle with kids in carseats.
Old 10-08-11, 07:03 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
One of my co-workers has a late-model Accord V6 coupe he uses for his long commute (probably 80 miles each way). Last I talked to him, he was nearing 200K miles with no major issues. The only reason he is considering something else is that they are starting a family and a 2-door car is a major hassle with kids in carseats.
Yea, my friend's brother has an 08 coupe and he loves it to death (although he's a Honda fanboy lol).

That's great to hear of your coworker's experience.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Of the two, go with the Accord. You'll be trading off the cloud-like ride of the Camry for a slightly more road feel with the Accord but the car is still very smooth.

Sedan vs Sedan, the Camry looks better to me. But the Accord coupe without the ugly base wheel looks very nice! It's probably the only Honda car I would buy at the moment. No need to worry about reliability either. The K24 (or J35 if you get the V6) are bulletproof engine. They've been around for over a decade.
Yea, I will mod it up, esp the wheels, if I do indeed buy the coupe.
Old 10-08-11, 07:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'd say 2012 Toyota Camry for sure. But, you have to test drive both cars for yourself and see which driving dynamics you like better. I'll tell you right off the bat, that the Camry has higher quality materials in the interior, and all the controls are setup ergonomically.
Old 10-08-11, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'll tell you right off the bat, that the Camry has higher quality materials in the interior,
You got that right. The difference between the quality of the old-vs.-new Camry interior is like night and day.....particularly in the XLE version.
Old 10-08-11, 03:10 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Take a look at the Ford Fusion in Hybrid trim, maybe a Hybrid Escape.
Old 10-08-11, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
Take a look at the Ford Fusion in Hybrid trim, maybe a Hybrid Escape.

True, the Fusion is an excellent alternative to the Camry/Accord. I did a review a couple of years ago on the Fusion Hybrid, and was very impressed with it. The Fusion also offers an AWD option, but it has not been quite as reliable as the FWD versions.

The OP, though, seemed to have narrowed it down to the Camry or Accord.

The present Escape has been in production for several years, and is rather dated. Its interior, like that of the outgoing 2011 Camry, is not very impressive, and has rather poor fit/finish. An all-new Escape, (probably) designed from the new Focus platform, is due sometime next year, as a 2013 model.
Old 11-15-11, 08:38 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Just an update for you guys!

So I am choosing the Accord coupe (white) LX-S (MRSP - $24550, and OTD is $27k something). So I have been negotiating online with several dealerships around the area and the so far I have been able to lower the price to around $23600 OTD. Now I am just bargaining for free/discounted add-ons .

What do you guys think of this price for a 2012 coupe? I think it's a great price, but this is my first time negotiating for a "new" car and hopefully you guys can provide feedback!!!