Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi A8L, BMW 750Li, Hyundai Equus & Jaguar XJL

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

I'd happily take any of the top 3 in this test, there's something I like in each of them ...
The Hyundai's lower-price and value-per-dollar would not be a factor in your decision, Andrew?

One of the few things, though that really turns me off on the Equus is the choice of only 4 exterior colors.......which, of course, would be an insult on even an entry-level subcompact, much less a 50-60K luxury-car. Other than that, though, it's quite a buy for the money.
Old 09-30-11, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'd choose the Jag on looks alone.
In the past, I would have agreed with you, but the latest A8, to my eyes, is the Jag's equal (or better) in the looks-department, both inside and out.

I'm a bit intrigued with its performance credibility. C&D hated its driving dynamics, but R&T praises it...
I've reviewed the new Jag XJ. R&T is correct.....it is indeed a Drivers' Car (big-time), but the new version has a ride that has been stiffened up a little too much for my tastes. I know I sound like a broken-phonongraph record on this, but I like plushness in the suspension.
Old 09-30-11, 11:30 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
. Other than that, though, it's quite a buy for the money.
Jury is still out on that as we will need to see how the car does over time. In the end, it is a Hyundai.
Old 09-30-11, 11:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
EDIT: It is kinda like testing a bunch of hybrids for performance, when people in that category are looking for something reliable, and fuel efficient and car magazines rank those important criteria consumers are ACTUALLY looking for in this range of cars dead last.
Completely agree.

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Good job Audi. One of the lightest and still offers AWD. Not to mention, one of the best interiors ever
I personally don't care for the Audi's interior design, at ALL. I'm sure the materials are first rate, but the design just doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 09-30-11, 12:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Why didnt they throw the LS460 into this comparison ???? I saw a Hyundai Equus two days ago on the way to the office and it looked great. Seems like many of the retirees in my area are buying these Genesis sedans like hot cakes. I think to a retiree who is trying tosave but still wants to treat himself to a nice luxury car the Genesis is a great choice. I dont think that the Equus will sell as well because of price, reputation, and few choices in exterior colors
Old 09-30-11, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Why didnt they throw the LS460 into this comparison ???? I saw a Hyundai Equus two days ago on the way to the office and it looked great. Seems like many of the retirees in my area are buying these Genesis sedans like hot cakes. I think to a retiree who is trying tosave but still wants to treat himself to a nice luxury car the Genesis is a great choice. I dont think that the Equus will sell as well because of price, reputation, and few choices in exterior colors
they claimed the ls460 and s are both "older" (2007)
Old 09-30-11, 07:06 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with jag, their reliability and resale values is horrible,,my next door neighbor got new XJ and have been in shop more than him driving,,,roof poppin issues, car electric goes on and off,,he told me buying XJ was biggest mistake he made since his marriage ,,,he cant get rid off it now since he got new and lose about 10k tradin for somethin else,,
Old 09-30-11, 09:46 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JAG U ARE all day. Beautifully styled car both inside and out. I can even live with the black C pillar. It has such presence and looks great in any color. I saw a white one earlier this evening while filling up and had to give the owner much props.The performance numbers are quite impressive for a car that size, I really need to test drive one this weekend. But as for the Audi, BMW and even the Hyundai. I'd gladly take any of those 3 for my garage. But my money is on that Jag. Way too sweet.
Old 09-30-11, 10:44 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Im on the market for one of these. I really want a S class but that XJ is calling my name.
My neighbor has one, but he doesn't. he's been a XF for the past week while his XJ is in the workshop.
Old 09-30-11, 10:46 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

This test is worthless with out a S class.
Old 10-01-11, 07:26 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally don't like Audi so that is a no-no for me. The Jag is still new and if it wasn't of the reliability and re-sale value issues that would be my pick, but that it out of the question for now. The 750 is really nice but of-course reliability and cost are horrible ( a few people told me its like buying a 3-series because that's you drive around most of the time until your car is fixed ) and then comes the EQUUS which i'm not sure if it's just me but i feel as if it is a generation behind and still trying to play catch-up with these other cars.That being said all of these cars are amazing and each have their own exclusivity to them, but the reasons i chose my LS is reliability, comfort, quietness, and smoothness ; which is what you would want with a 4000lbs+ luxury sedan. If i wanted to do 0-60 times and race around a track I would buy a car to do that. To me a car shouldn't try to have as many personalities bunched together but should try to focus on one category and be the best in it.

Sorry for the long paragraph
Old 10-01-11, 11:56 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'd choose the Jag on looks alone.
what he said^^^^
Old 10-02-11, 12:30 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I don't much care for Audis.
Old 10-02-11, 02:44 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I likw them all, but I could only see myself ever owning the 750Li. If the S Class Mercedes or LS460L were in the comparison, I would take those over anything.
Old 10-02-11, 07:40 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Activehybrid7 sub 13 sec 1/4 and avgs 26mpg suck it jag.

Quick Reply: Audi A8L, BMW 750Li, Hyundai Equus & Jaguar XJL