Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Post C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)

15 minutes of fame is up

Toyota seems to have nearly nailed it with the Yaris and it seems to be the sportiest and most interesting car of the bunch! They note 3 shortcomings and one is something we talked about, no 6th gear. The good news is it seems 5 of the 6 are really nice entry level cars and the Versa simply appeals to those that just want a new car for the cheapest price and dont' care about anything else, which is fine. Subcompacts have come a LONG way.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

In This Story
Introduction
Sixth: 2012 Nissan Versa SL
Fifth: 2012 Kia Rio5 SX
Fourth: 2012 Hyundai Accent SE
Third: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
Second: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ Turbo
First: 2011 Honda Fit Sport

Summary
Versa is complete crap
Korean Twins are nice but medium
Yaris seems to be the sportiest
Sonic is excellent
Fit remains best in class

Fish Taco: Fresh pan-seared halibut in Corona lime sauce, with pico de gallo, corn kernels, jicama slaw, and thyme twigs in bloom. $12.

Photographer CJ Benninger dispatched Bayside Dining’s fish taco in two bites—must have been a baby halibut—and the redesigned Yaris, although longer than the car it replaces, is likewise a fry. It is the shortest conveyance in our group, with the least front interior volume and the lowest curb weight. Which maybe makes it okay that its engine produces the least power and torque.

All we know is that the Yaris was a mini barracuda around our handling loop, where its steering was direct and communicative, its suspension calm and composed, its ride firm, its clutch engaging perfectly mid-travel, and its slop-free shifter smooth and satisfying. Notice that, in our slalom, the Yaris was only 0.5 mph behind the winning Fit. Notice, too, this Toyota’s cool dash—imaginative, fun, and original, even if the radio looks a little like an afterthought.

This bargain-basement binster would have posed a sterner threat to the Chevrolet Sonic but for three faults. First, it needs a sixth gear. Second, it is noisy, although our ears suggest that it is merely a quantity-of-noise problem. Much of the racket seems to emanate from wind tornado-ing over that massive single wiper, which surely must have been yanked off a Greyhound bus. Third—and most damaging—is the driver’s seating position, combined with a steering wheel that does not telescope. The pilot finds himself hunched over the wheel, his nose seemingly jammed into the IP, his left knee hoisted rearward and skyward by an intrusive wheel well.

Readers, remember: It’s the SE model that coughs up the sport-tuned suspension, quicker steering, wider rubber, rear discs, sport seats, and the one thing that reliably makes us all faster—a chrome exhaust tip.

Inexpensive cars don’t have to be boring

Last edited by LexFather; 09-29-11 at 08:53 AM.

Old 09-29-11, 09:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Summary
Versa is complete crap
Korean Twins are nice but medium
Yaris seems to be the sportiest
Sonic is excellent
Fit remains best in class
Good summation.

I'm quite intrigued that the Fit isn't the sportiest per se. And Chevy did a great job on the Sonic.

I think Toyota needs to do a better job advertising the Yaris. It's a good car and it surely needs to be a bigger player in this field, yet there isn't a lot of talk about it. Perhaps I don't see it marketed where it should be, like in schools, malls, and the such; to appeal to younger buyers and families. Nonetheless, it's presence needs to be more prominent.
Old 09-29-11, 09:26 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leaving the Versa out of the conversation, I gotta say the Fit is pretty ugly.
Old 09-29-11, 10:16 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of what C&D thinks, the new Versa continues to outsell its competitors because price is the most important consideration for buyers in this segment.
Old 09-29-11, 10:30 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, they totally trashed the Versa; the Fit looks like a mini-van.
Old 09-29-11, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

but but i thought Yaris is an appliance?

:-)
Old 09-29-11, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonder why the Fiesta and Mazda2 were omitted from this review. Both would have been near the top
Old 09-29-11, 02:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for posting Mike.

Great to see the Yaris make such a showing. Other reviews have been very mediocre. Could Toyota have done more? Yes, but we wouldn't have liked the resulting price tag. Toyota said they did what they did (same engine/transmission for example) to keep the price point competitive in a class where price is most important.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Good summation.

I'm quite intrigued that the Fit isn't the sportiest per se. And Chevy did a great job on the Sonic.

I think Toyota needs to do a better job advertising the Yaris. It's a good car and it surely needs to be a bigger player in this field, yet there isn't a lot of talk about it. Perhaps I don't see it marketed where it should be, like in schools, malls, and the such; to appeal to younger buyers and families. Nonetheless, it's presence needs to be more prominent.
Agreed. If you notice though, there's very little advertising for any sub-compact after the initial launch phase. Kinda sad. Biggest factor is likely the tiny profit margins leaving no ad dollars left.
The other factor is that automakers simply rather sell the bigger more expensive cars. Toyota rather sell Corolla's than Yaris's. And now, Toyota has even dropped the Yaris sedan to place the buyers focus squarely on the Corolla if a sedan is wanted,

Originally Posted by scgt652
Regardless of what C&D thinks, the new Versa continues to outsell its competitors because price is the most important consideration for buyers in this segment.
Yup, The previous gen sold like hotcakes because of 2 things: bargain basement price mixed with its class leading interior volume - It comes close to midsize as far as head and legroom are concerned at a sub-compact price.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder why the Fiesta and Mazda2 were omitted from this review. Both would have been near the top
From the article....

"We revisited the segment in 2010 (“Ego Shrinkers”), only to elect the Fit again to the segment’s highest office, nudging out the Mazda 2 Touring and Ford Fiesta SES. As a result, those two weren’t included in this competition. Yeah, we know, maybe they should have been. We’ll confess that neither would have finished anywhere near last in this face-off. But we gotta draw the line somewhere."

Unfortunately, there's always omissions in these comparison tests.
Old 09-29-11, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting fact: 106hp Yaris is not the slowest car there - Rio with 138hp engine is actually slower. Also, Yaris, despite its old engine and lesser EPA ratings, over the test route did 33 MPG, best in the test (with Accent and Versa), while Rio did a lot worse at 28 MPG, despite better EPA rating.
Old 09-29-11, 03:27 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yaris means good things for Toyota, as its the base from which it will build including the 2012 Camry. Liking what I'm reading from this car, and how it looks too! I'm excited for the incoming wave of new models from TMC and Lexus.
Old 09-29-11, 06:02 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I love how Fit, Sonic, and Yaris looks exterior-styling-wise, but the Chevy is ugly inside. Mazda 2 should be included in the test and probably could be in the number two or three of the group.
Old 09-29-11, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You back to reading C&D, now, Mike? Not long ago you declared it fit for the trash-can.

I couldn't stand Brock Yates when he was there (I thought him highly irresponsible in his comments and actions). But I had a lot of respect for Patrick Bedard and Rich Ceppos (Ceppos later went to Autoweek). When Bedard and editor Casba Csede left , I thought the magazine went downhill some.
Old 09-29-11, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Versa is complete crap
I agree that the Versa, like many entry-level subcompacts, is not an impressive-driving car, but I think it sells so well for a couple of reasons. First, it has a good price for its exterior size....it is slightly larger and roomier than many of its rivals, yet sells in the same (or lower) price-range. Second, it has an acceptably-good reliable record, according to Consumer Reports. Third, it has a comparibly tall roofline for big guys like me with baseball-caps....and tall frames like you Third, from what I understand, insurance rates on it are comparably low.
Old 09-29-11, 07:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I love how Fit, Sonic, and Yaris looks exterior-styling-wise, but the Chevy is ugly inside.
The Chevy has the best looking interior in the class, along with the Accent. To each his own I guess.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Mazda 2 should be included in the test and probably could be in the number two or three of the group.
The Mazda (and Fiesta) was excluded for the reason mentioned above. A lot of people like to mention the 2, yet it is a total flop. It's been on sale for about 2 years, and I think I've seen maybe 4 total in the highly populated northeast. In comparison, I've seen thousands of the platform sister Fiesta.
Old 09-29-11, 08:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
From the article....

"We revisited the segment in 2010 (“Ego Shrinkers”), only to elect the Fit again to the segment’s highest office, nudging out the Mazda 2 Touring and Ford Fiesta SES. As a result, those two weren’t included in this competition. Yeah, we know, maybe they should have been. We’ll confess that neither would have finished anywhere near last in this face-off. But we gotta draw the line somewhere."

Unfortunately, there's always omissions in these comparison tests.
thanks for clearing that up. I was reading off my iphone earlier, musta missed that

Quick Reply: C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)