Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watch out for recent flood-damaged cars for sale.

Old 09-15-11, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Watch out for recent flood-damaged cars for sale.

With the recent heavy rains/flooding from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee stretching from Louisiana all the way to northern new England and Southern Canada (and, yes, they affected my own D.C. area, too), a lot of both new and used-cars are sitting on lots with flood-damage....sometimes at unscrupulous dealerships and buisnesses. Car Fax reoports may (?) uncover some prior flooding, but may not be up-to-date enough to catch the latest batch of damaged vehicles. So, while it is difficult to at times to catch some damage on visual inspection, be sure to check out any car you are interested in as thoroughly as possible....and if in doubt, have a technician, insurance-rep, or someone else experienced in spotting water-damage also have a look.

Accuweather, which does not normally get into the car-buying buisness, has a good article on this:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...rs-hitting.asp

In the wake of massive flooding from Hurricane Irene, consumers may be hit with an unsuspected trick. Several flood-damaged automobiles will be sold without accurate damage reports.

This is not a new practice, as flood-damaged vehicles are sold every year in various parts of the U.S., according to New Jersey Business.

"We've had quite a bit of rain and flooding, so it will be worse than usual this year," said Senior Consumer Advice Editor for automotive research site Edmunds.com, Philip Reed. "It's a danger for car buyers."

One key danger is "title washing." Essentially, "title washing" is a practice involving moving a vehicle to different states and changing ownership multiple times in an attempt to destroy any record of damage.

Consumers are urged to be on the lookout for deals that seem "too good to be true," as they probably are.

In the 2005 hurricane season, roughly 600,000 automobiles were damaged. Nearly half of them ended up back on the market as used cars, according to Carfax.

"Basically, you don't want this car," said Reed. "It might be working properly now, but the problems could show up later."

"On older cars (especially) we could see engine damage," said AccuWeather.com Expert Meteorologist Frank Strait. "Even just plain water getting into the engine can cause premature wear and tear. For example, the cylinder walls could start to rust."

Many of these problems cannot be identified by a simple check under the hood.

"Saltwater can be especially dangerous," said Bob Smerbeck, AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist. "Silt particles can cause plenty of damage and eat away at your engine block. Essentially, (the car) will age quicker."

Damage may not show up immediately. Vehicles could show little to no damage at all from the flooding, but problems may arise down the road.

"You may not notice it at first, and everything seems fine, but damage has been done," added Strait.

Consumers are warned to be on the lookout for signs of flood damage such as discolored carpeting, rust in the undercarriage, dirt in unusual places, musty odors and fogged-up headlamps, according to New Jersey Business. Also, Strait adds, "Get yourself a Carfax report. It's definitely worth the fee."
Old 09-15-11, 01:03 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh damn......I was in the market for a AWD sedan or SUV at the moment. I'm gonna be on extra caution
Old 09-15-11, 01:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. There is no limit to how low some of these people will go when it comes to making money and ripping people off