Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No, the Subaru Tribeca is not dead yet.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default No, the Subaru Tribeca is not dead yet.

It surprises me somewhat, but Subaru (apparantly) is going to go ahead with at least a 2012 extension of the slow-selling Tribeca. This has been a controversial and unpopular vehicle ever since its U.S.-market debut, from the awkward-looking grille in the first couple of years to its appliance-like driving-manners. Of course, it has the superb Subaru AWD system for bad weather and the typical Subaru excellent build quality, but, IMO, little else. Driving one is about as interesting as watching paint dry.....it has about the same level of driver-feedback, and (though I generally don't believe in automotive stereotypes) would make a fitting vehicle for a librarian, dentist, or schoolteacher.

I took a 2011 model out for a brief test-drive recently at my local Subaru-shop while my Outback was getting some service. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed......and, of course, didn't bother to write it up. I've never liked the Tribeca's interior, either, for several reasons. However, for those few who apparantly like the vehicle (or who don't care about its weaknesses) its rapid depreciation does make it a fairly good used-car buy, dollar-wise. In fact, I've sometimes recommended a used Tribeca as a (mechanically) reliable alternative to the more-expensive used Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murano, and Honda Pilot.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, there apparantly will be a 2012 version....after that, no promises. My guess is that, unless sales markedly improve in just the next year, it will be dropped from the American market for 2013.

Joe Spitz, a Subaru sales-rep on the West Coast, runs one of the best Subaru-information websites I've seen......he indicates there will be a 2012 model, and I've provided a link.

http://www.cars101.com/tribeca.html

2012s expected to arrive mid-late September 2011.

(Original 2006 version)

(2011 version)

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 12:49 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, never notice they redesign it once from the 2006 version.
Old 08-24-11, 02:01 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wished for the Exiga and we got the Tribeca. Not surprised to see it not sell.
Old 08-24-11, 07:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Exiga is awesome...........though too bad it only comes in Right Hand Drive.

Still:
The Tribeca is not that bad though.

It's the only vehicle from Indiana that is exported overseas
Old 08-24-11, 08:01 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHO is still buying this?
Old 08-24-11, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Still:
The Tribeca is not that bad though.
Agreed. Mechanically and build-quality-wise, it's a good vehicle, but it is dull and boring to drive (even by my somewhat stodgy, conservative standards), and the interior, for several reasons, does not impress me.

It's the only vehicle from Indiana that is exported overseas
Well, they have to do something with the ones they build....Americans here are generally not buying them.
Old 08-24-11, 08:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like how they changed the grill during the mid-cycle refresh. The car was not breathtaking, but it was well rounded and approachable. Only thing I didn't like were the alien-like taillights, but the car was fine.

The interior was always pleasing to me: all those swoopy lines kept visual interest, but without being too vulgar. Note how the silver trim follows linearly from the door through the steering wheel through the center console down to the armrest. The tri-colored dash creates a sense of layering; it would be too bland if it were all the same color. Seats are bland, but then again, seats are just seats.

It never was a master of anything. Being lackluster was its demise.
Old 08-24-11, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I like how they changed the grill during the mid-cycle refresh.
Agreed the new grille is much better. Subaru officials admit the original grille was a mistake.

The interior was always pleasing to me: all those swoopy lines kept visual interest, but without being too vulgar. Note how the silver trim follows linearly from the door through the steering wheel through the center console down to the armrest. The tri-colored dash creates a sense of layering; it would be too bland if it were all the same color.
The main problem with the interior is not so much the looks but the cheap- feel of some of the controls and hardware, which, in general, doesn't quite measure up to some other, slightly older Subarus. I also think there's way too much silver-painted plastic on the Y-shaped dash/console.

It never was a master of anything. Being lackluster was its demise.
Well, let's give it credit where it is due. Like other Subarus, it does have reliability and an excellent AWD system.
Old 08-24-11, 09:06 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Subaru is capable of figuring it out how to make a profitable SUV. They did it in the Forest, a SUV I think it's ugly and no one should buy it yet it's selling quite well!!
Old 08-24-11, 09:33 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

A coworker has a Tribeca with the original pig snout design. She's got over 80K trouble free miles and loves the car.

Subaru needs to a car bigger than the Tribeca if they want a larger alternative to their line-up. The Outback has grown in size and is comparable to it but priced thousands less.

If Subaru made a minivan, it would give Toyota and Honda a run for its money. An outdoor oriented minivan would be a nice transition for loyal Subaru owners who have expanded their families. I know I would be interested.
Old 08-24-11, 10:50 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I don't like Subaru's (aside from the STI) they do make some really reliable cars. Those old wagons are tough as hell and will run forever with just regular maintenance. Gotta love the Indiana plant where they build the Subaru's too....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_Edf7YHM0

Interesting fact: 95% of Subaru's sold in the past 10 years are still on the road

http://www.carrsubaru.com/awards-for-subaru.htm
Old 08-24-11, 10:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, they have to do something with the ones they build....Americans here are generally not buying them.
Anyways:
I think the biggest market of the Tribeca (outside of USA) is Australia

Which comprises more than 60% of all Right Hand Drive B9 Tribeca vehicles produced from Lafayette, Indiana

Old 08-24-11, 11:00 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250

Interesting fact: 95% of Subaru's sold in the past 10 years are still on the road

http://www.carrsubaru.com/awards-for-subaru.htm
Mine is 13 years old and it has 135k miles on it. Still runs strong and a sub 8 second 0 to 60. Ive replaced a clutch, timing belt, valve covers, and a starter. So I would say all but the starter is routine.

Now the Tribeca needs some serious love or a serious price reduction in order to gain some ground.
Old 08-24-11, 11:20 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I've always liked the Tribeca. Good they kept it going even if its not popular
Old 08-26-11, 08:18 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

My friend at work bought one last year and its a nice vehicle, but $40+k for a Subie is a bit steep... At that price point you start getting into more premuim brands. And most people want a better image than Subaru for that $.

Quick Reply: No, the Subaru Tribeca is not dead yet.