Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB GL450-Opinions on Purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 10:12 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB GL450-Opinions on Purchasing

I finally decided to join the dark side and opt for a 2011 MB GL450.

I used to like the GX470 but (in my opinion) Lexus lost their sense of style in that suv. I despise that SUV.

In short, I was approved by MB for 3.9% Finance for a 2011 GL450. Fully loaded MSRP is $76,000 but the dealer has brought it to close to $69,000 with no option left behind.

Considering their will be new model end of this year and a complete redesign in 2013 what are the thoughts here about this vehicle?

They also had a 2009 FULLY Loaded with 11K miles for $52,000 which enticed me as well.

I am curious to get opinions from other than the Benz sites that i just joined.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-11, 11:05 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

1st off nice truck, Congrats on your decison....I had a dilemma similar to yours a few months ago while SUV shopping but have since postponed that due to our recent move and plans for purchasing a home first.

The MB GL450 is a truck that I have also looked at over the past few years along with the Audi Q7 and X5 not to mention the famed/hated Land Rover trucks (big RR fan). I like it, my wife loves it and is actually obsessed with it. Every time she sees it on Housewives of NJ or on the road she makes it her business to point one out. She also likes the GX470.

For me the GL450 is a great big 7 passenger cruiser. Smooth German Escalade if you will, with slightly less chrome. Love the exterior design and the guts are pretty nice too, esp in lighter colors. It definitely has road presence and I love the grille. Not a fan of the standard MB Tex at that price point tho. Small Nav and base truck with only 8 speakers. Not a deal breaker but something I considered. 3rd row seat is very adequate and well designed. Build quality seems good, haven't seen an abundant of issues in regard to the 7 speed tranny like some of the other Benzes on MBWorld. I think you made a wise choice and I hope that you enjoy your purchase. What color combo did you settle on? Did your '11 come with LED tails and DRL?
Old 08-18-11, 11:31 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the GL is very beautiful on the outside. Good proportions, and the recent updates are all fine and dandy. Interior is nice, but you can definitely tell that it is from previous generation design theme. If you are getting a good deal, then I say its a solid purchase. However, I never buy the "old" model knowing that it is going to be replaced very soon.

The GL has always enticed me but it has always been a lot of money
Old 08-18-11, 11:48 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why dont you spend less for a 08-9 GL550.
Old 08-19-11, 12:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i heard the 550 eats gas quite a bit worse than 450?

the gl seems to be quite a solid car. i noticed that the car is assembled in the US so i was a bit concerned, although reading reviews it seems pretty good overall. the 3rd row is "spacious" for what it is, most other suv of its size doesn't have the same kind of leg room
Old 08-19-11, 12:22 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well its a bigger engine and has more hp so....
Old 08-19-11, 12:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Well its a bigger engine and has more hp so....
and all the cosmetic changes to make it look a lot more aggressive too

i think most people say the 450 is enough power wise. i don't know, when it comes to mb, newer is probably better in terms of problems?
Old 08-19-11, 07:22 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

first of all, and as always, thank you for some great input and advice. I can always counts on CL for objective opinion.

I am sorry but I was not clear enough. I have NOT purchased the vehicle yet.

This is the "back and forth" part and US trying to make a sensible decision with our hard earned money.

My original question was basically dealing with the opinion of the vehicle but more importantly, the concern about a new model end of year (no big changes) and the completely redesigned for end of next year.

I have thought about leasing it for 3 years at $699 and then returning it for the NEW model. The wife does not want to "rent" a car ( i disagree) so that is in back of our mind now.

The resale value on these are not that great so even if I bought the 2011 or the VERY enticing 2009, when its paid off in 5 yrs, then I might take a hit when negotiating a price on the "NEW" ones.

Hope that made sense. Btw Range Rover was on top of our list, its the whole reliability thing that scares me. Also no interest in 550, we are happy with purchasing a 450, if we do.
Old 08-19-11, 07:26 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Why not opt for the 2012 ML350 BluTec coming out in September. Looks like a very strong contender for the aging GL
Old 08-19-11, 07:27 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well unless you pay cash, loan or lease, your renting it

The new design could be nasty or amazing, who knows.

I really do not want a 3 year old + Benz let alone it being 6-7+ years old when your ready to sell it, so the new one sounds pretty nice and I think the lease idea may be best if your not driving 20k+ a year.
Old 08-19-11, 07:28 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tetra7
Why not opt for the 2012 ML350 BluTec coming out in September. Looks like a very strong contender for the aging GL
Valid point BUT getting aggressive deals on the 2011 right now...so its making us think twice. Any price/specs on that?
Old 08-19-11, 07:30 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J.P.
Well unless you pay cash, loan or lease, your renting it

The new design could be nasty or amazing, who knows.

I really do not want a 3 year old + Benz let alone it being 6-7+ years old when your ready to sell it, so the new one sounds pretty nice and I think the lease idea may be best if your not driving 20k+ a year.
Yes, but at least you get to keep it and not giving it back after spending $1000/month for 36 months...yes we can go back and forth on this

Yeah, its 10K a year limit on the lease
Old 08-19-11, 07:33 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

From what I can discern, it appears that the new model will be introduced at the current models price point but with more standard options. There is a thread on the second page with some details on it...I'm also in your same boat stuck between several choices. Currently the new GS and the ML are on my very short list.
Old 08-19-11, 07:56 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

We have a diamond white "11 GL350 Bluetec and its a beast, in a great way. Looks great on the outside and tons of room inside with the three row seating (kids and friends of kids) and room for lots of golf clubs and accessories in the back with the third row down. The diesel engine will really pull at any speed and climb up long steep hills. Great passing ability, especially for its size and weight. Oh yeah, much better mileage than the gas engines too.

The '12 ML Bluetec looks great and would be a terrific choice but is much smaller behind the second row of seats. Probably not much of a discount on the '12s in the near term.

Last edited by hendjaz; 08-19-11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-19-11, 10:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for a mb the resale is actually pretty good i think. you just can't compare that to lexus (even better resale). and buying a mb is never a sensible choice imho

Quick Reply: MB GL450-Opinions on Purchasing