Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Versa sedan....the cheapest bargain available?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Nissan Versa sedan....the cheapest bargain available?

http://www.nissanusa.com/versa-sedan

http://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/zipcode/index

Guys, I don't want to sound like a Nissan salesperson here (and forgive me if it comes out that way),

but for those of you in the U.S. who want (or need) a brand-new car with a minimum-impact to your bank account, stop by a Nissan dealer and check out the Versa four-door sedan. New 5-speed-manual Versa sedans, minus options/freight/tax/tags, start at just $10,990.....lower than just about any other new car in the American-market that I can think of, including the Smart-for-Two, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent. To top it off, the Versa is physically larger than these other models I mentioned (and MUCH larger than the Smart-car), which could help pay off in an accident. All Versas come with 4 or 5 doors for convienence, interior space, and ease-of-access. They are on Consumer Reports' recommended list, with average reliability records. I haven't formally reviewed one for several years, but the last one I drove was, I remember, was generally pleasant, well-built, and had decent road-manners for something in this class, though, of course, it was not a luxury or sport-oriented car. Its standard FWD (which is shared by almost all small cars today) also helps it a little with winter traction.

Even those of you who are not in the market for yourself, a new Versa could make a nice (and relatively inexpensive) new car for your son/daughter going off to college. Giving him or her a new car this inexpensive will leave more money in your bank-account or his/her college-fund, of course, to pay the tuition and other inevitable college-related expenses. And, for those of you who are single or don't have kids, it could also make a good inexpensive new commuter-car.

To give you an idea of this car's relative bargain-price, most of you probably saw my recent review of the Chevrolet Volt, a long-range, plug-in-hybrid roughly the same size as a Versa. For several reasons (I won't repeat all of them here again), I criticized the Volt as being a price rip-off....and I still feel that way. For what a typical Volt costs (in the mid-40s, even after Federal rebate and tax-credits, you could buy FOUR base-level Versas, minus a lot of options. That's something to think about, IMO.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-10-11, 09:53 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The subcompact segment has some very competent cars now. Versa, Yaris, Accent, and Rio are all-new for 2012. Each of them has strong selling points:

Versa: Lowest price. Lots interior space.
Yaris: Toyota's legendary reputation for reliability.
Accent: 40mpg. Technology you normally don't get at this price point (DI, 6-speed auto).
Rio: Stylish interior and exterior.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the sales leader in this segment.
Old 08-10-11, 10:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by scgt652
The subcompact segment has some very competent cars now. Versa, Yaris, Accent, and Rio are all-new for 2012. Each of them has strong selling points:

Versa: Lowest price. Lots interior space.
Yaris: Toyota's legendary reputation for reliability.
Accent: 40mpg. Technology you normally don't get at this price point (DI, 6-speed auto).
Rio: Stylish interior and exterior.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the sales leader in this segment.
Not-Yaris, not at those prices.

Versa is still priced the best and it will continue to sell well, Accent too.
Old 08-10-11, 10:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

otherwise, Versa to me looks like Echo did in 2002... awful :-).

Just check how much Yaris has improved since Echo sedan.
Old 08-10-11, 10:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Roll up windows. No power door locks. Two-speaker single CD radio.

I'm actually quite surprised it included A/C standard.
Old 08-10-11, 10:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell these in the UK for under GBP10,000 (making it the cheapest C-segment compact car in Britain)
Old 08-10-11, 10:29 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

The subcompact segment used to be filled with cars that were only suitable for use as rentals, and delivering pizzas. That is not the case anymore. The Versa offers interior space that is comparable to what mid-size cars like the Accord had just a few years ago. The Accent has technology you can't get on some premium cars (notably Acura).

Last edited by scgt652; 08-10-11 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-11, 10:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it's fantastic that they're able to offer a car that cheap. I know many people who need to replace their cars, but do not have $19k to spare on a new Corolla or Civic, nor do they want to buy a used car because it might end up needing some fix.
Old 08-10-11, 11:47 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

It's not pretty but hey, a new car for that amount is just what a lot of folks want and need. An entry level car at a true entry level price. And you can carry your friends in comfort too? Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 08-10-11, 02:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Shall we merge?

2012 Versa Thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...san-versa.html

Bargain price announcement:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6526887-post52.html
Old 08-10-11, 04:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It is the cheapest car for sale in the U.S.A.

But cheap don't equal bargain, bargain means good value, I don't think the Versa have good value, it is just cheap and you get what you pay for.
Old 08-10-11, 04:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

had a versa as a courtesy car for about a week, boy was i glad i got my GSh back! bnr34 nailed it, you do indeed get what you pay for.
Old 08-10-11, 04:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
had a versa as a courtesy car for about a week, boy was i glad i got my GSh back! bnr34 nailed it, you do indeed get what you pay for.
The Versa was advertised for $9,999 when it 1st came out, but that came with nothing........no AC, power window, auto tranny.....etc. I am surprised it came with a windshield and keys!

They just stripped it and sold it for less, that is not a bargain, is just cheap! You are paying less for less.

The $65k Equus Ultimate, now that's a bargain.
Old 08-10-11, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Roll up windows. No power door locks. Two-speaker single CD radio.

I'm actually quite surprised it included A/C standard.
Nobody wants a car without A/C anymore....with some heat added, it helps improve windshield defrosting, even if you don't need it to cool down in hot weather. And even some people who don't mind rolling up their windows and locking their doors the old-fashioned way often suffer in the heat.

One good thing, though, about roll-up windows is that the motors or linkages can't fail just as that big rainstorm comes up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 06:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Now lemme see. GS, Versa... GS, Versa. Duh!

Quick Reply: Nissan Versa sedan....the cheapest bargain available?