Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Very confused about cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas1
10 years ago, I learned how to drive on my mom's 2000 Lexus ES300. Maybe any first car you drive would feel the same, but I remember this as being an awesome car, extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Call me crazy, but I also really liked the looks, the two tone white and gray paint job
Totally agree. The often-hyped idea (mainly in the auto press) that young people can't like or enjoy driving smooth, soft-riding traditional luxury cars is pure nonsense. I myself had two Buicks before the age of 20, and liked them both.

(I don't know of ANY new cars that come in two-tone colors).
The Subau Impreza Outback Sport still does for 2011, but it is not clear if the 2012 Imprezas (or Outback Sport) will still offer that option.

As I often say, I may be young, but I'm old in spirit. I got my license in 2002 and borrowed her car to drive around town until she traded it off for a new 2003 ES300.
Liking an ES is not necessarily being old.....even in spirit. Enjoy your youth AND your mom's ES.

BTW, I've driven my mom's 2003 ES, which I hated. I can't stand the front headlights, and the drive feels wayyy too "boaty." Doesn't even feel like remotely the same car as the previous generation model. I like the 2007-2011 models (although I've never driven one), but the 2002-2006 ones I can't stand. I also like the current IS & the GS models. No way I could afford any of these new, but I could conceivably find a 4 year old one that could be in my budget if it was a private party sale, no dealer markup.
Interesting that you say you like the 2000 model, but not the 2003. Both were designed primarily for ride comfort, and the 2003 model had a superb wood-paneled interior. But I agree with you that the 2003's up-swept headlights that ran back halfway up the hood were awkward-looking.

Did you notice some quirky throttle response and transmission shifts/hesitation at low speeds? That was a problem on a lot of ES models of that generation...it was in the electronic throttle and transmission ECU control unit.

Was the late '90's, early 2000's ES as as great as I'm remembering? Or should I leave that to the past, just forget about it, stick with my current car, and maybe think about getting a newer 2007+ lexus for my next car? Or would you guys rather have a brand new Camry (or something comparable) than a used Lexus?
Keep in mind that the newer (2007-2011) ES models have a slightly stiffer suspension and lower-profile tires than the silky-riding ES models you remember. They handle slightly better, but have lost some of that former magic-carpet ride over bumps. They are still considered one of the smoother-riding cars, though, by today's standards.
Old 08-16-11, 05:45 PM
vegas1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Liking an ES is not necessarily being old.....even in spirit. Enjoy your youth AND your mom's ES.
Thanks for the reassurance. When I was thinking about getting rid of my last car, I posted a question to another forum and was told that I should be looking at cars that are "age appropriate." Screw that, I say, just drive what you like, who cares what others think.

Interesting that you say you like the 2000 model, but not the 2003. Both were designed primarily for ride comfort, and the 2003 model had a superb wood-paneled interior. But I agree with you that the 2003's up-swept headlights that ran back halfway up the hood were awkward-looking.

Did you notice some quirky throttle response and transmission shifts/hesitation at low speeds? That was a problem on a lot of ES models of that generation...it was in the electronic throttle and transmission ECU control unit.
I do agree with you that the interior of the 2002-2006 is really nice. The car does feel very solid, I like the way the door shuts-- really good sound.

BTW, I noticed that on the pre 2002 Lexuses there's no door frame around the windows, so the whole door feels very lightweight. I've also seen this on Subarus as well. To me, any 2000's era car that has bigger doors, windows are higher up, "stick out" door handles that you pull out instead of pull up, "feels" safer to me-- but is that all in my head?

Yes, her 2003 ES (she still has it) HAS that exact problem you're talking about, and it's done that since it was brand new. My mom doesn't want to believe it's real, but it is. It's like you step on the gas pedal, and there's about a second and a half delay before it moves. Then when it does move, it jerks. I wonder if they posted a recall for that problem?

Keep in mind that the newer (2007-2011) ES models have a slightly stiffer suspension and lower-profile tires than the silky-riding ES models you remember. They handle slightly better, but have lost some of that former magic-carpet ride over bumps. They are still considered one of the smoother-riding cars, though, by today's standards.
I might like that then. It's not that I want a total cushy boat ride, just a really good balance between comfort and "driveability." I felt like the 2000 ES had that balance, whereas the 03 is all comfort, but zero fun.

Interestingly, I was watching some old early 90's Lexus commercials on Youtube, they were calling it "the luxury sedan of sports sedans." Do you think it ever was that or was that all hype?
Old 08-16-11, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas1
Thanks for the reassurance. When I was thinking about getting rid of my last car, I posted a question to another forum and was told that I should be looking at cars that are "age appropriate." Screw that, I say, just drive what you like, who cares what others think.
You won't get any of that nonsense out of me. I give people advice based on what I think is best for them, and what I've learned in my 43 years of driving experience (and reviewing cars), not necessarily whatever happens to be in fashion at the time.

Welcome to CL, BTW......I see you are a new poster.

I do agree with you that the interior of the 2002-2006 is really nice. The car does feel very solid, I like the way the door shuts-- really good sound.
In general, though, with the exception of maybe the Acura RL, doors on a lot of Japanese-designed cars don't feel as solid as on German/European-designed cars. The RL is one of those rare exceptions (and a car I think very highly of). It's built like a tank.

BTW, I noticed that on the pre 2002 Lexuses there's no door frame around the windows, so the whole door feels very lightweight. I've also seen this on Subarus as well. To me, any 2000's era car that has bigger doors, windows are higher up, "stick out" door handles that you pull out instead of pull up, "feels" safer to me-- but is that all in my head?
Subarus no longer uses frameless door/windows....they went out with the 2008 Impreza, 2009 Forester, and the 2010 Legacy/Outback (I have an older Outback myself). They will (likely) also go out with the next Tribeca, if Subaru doesn't drop that model completely.

Yes, her 2003 ES (she still has it) HAS that exact problem you're talking about, and it's done that since it was brand new. My mom doesn't want to believe it's real, but it is. It's like you step on the gas pedal, and there's about a second and a half delay before it moves. Then when it does move, it jerks. I wonder if they posted a recall for that problem?
Not a formal recall, but there were some TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) in it....check with your Lexus Service Manager if they have not already been performed on your mother's car. Generally, it involves a computer re-flash for the transmissions ECU (Electronic Control Unit). ES owners report, though, that it has only limited effectiveness in curing the problem. There is also some talk on that issue in the ES forums here on CL.

I might like that then. It's not that I want a total cushy boat ride, just a really good balance between comfort and "driveability." I felt like the 2000 ES had that balance, whereas the 03 is all comfort, but zero fun.
Though they are generally not as reliable as Lexus products, BMW, to the seat of my pants, has always had one of the best ride/handling combinations in the buisness. Their steering/chassis engineering is simply superb.....and some Mercedes and Audi products are also getting up in that department.

Interestingly, I was watching some old early 90's Lexus commercials on Youtube, they were calling it "the luxury sedan of sports sedans." Do you think it ever was that or was that all hype?
The ES was never meant to be a sport sedan.......that's what the IS and, to a lesser extent, the GS, is for. That's why, IMO (as I indicated in my previous post), I saw no need for Lexus to give the ES lower-profile tires and a (slightly) stiffer suspension with the 2006-2007 redesign.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-11 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 08:05 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about bloat, the 2008+ Accord is even bigger and more sterile.

Despite being as large as it was, I loved my 2008 ES350 shamelessly. One of the best cruisemobiles for the not-super-wealthy, and it doesn't look like the whale that the 2001-2006 was.

The back-up camera helps you deal with the length of the car. Despite not being as edgy as the late-90s model, the current ES is still a pretty smart car, especially post-facelift.
Old 08-16-11, 08:32 PM
LexFather

Vegas, your priorities are different and guess what, there are A LOT of people like you. I tell people all the time, after a long day there is nothing like getting in a quiet, cushy Lexus (or Mercedes or even Town Car ). It coddles and makes the day seem a little nicer.

Good luck

Old 08-16-11, 11:41 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'm kinda the same way with you. I started out with a Lincoln Continental as my first car (which was pretty terrible admittedly, even more so now that I drive the LS all the time). Then I went to a few BMWs with manuals. They were tons of fun in the corners and pretty comfortable, but the firm ride was uncomfortable over the bumpy roads of MI. I eventually got fed up with entry-lux feel of the 3 series and embraced my secret love for big flagship luxo barges. I ended up getting an 04 LS430 at 21 (I'm now 22 as of a few days ago) and absolutely love everything about it! You could get a clean 01-03 LS430 for 16k. Don't let age factor in too much to what you drive, you know what you like underneath!