Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volt owners reporting MPG....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 12:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Volt owners reporting MPG....

seems great so far...

http://www.torquenews.com/119/chevy-...ileage-stories

http://electriccarsreport.com/2011/0...ween-fill-ups/

Early Chevy Volt owners are reporting a staggering 1,000 mile between gas station fill-ups, or for 30 days on a single tank of fuel.

”Chevrolet Volt owners drove an average of 800 miles between fill-ups since the Volt launched in December, and in March they averaged 1,000 miles,” said Cristi Landy, Volt marketing director.

In order to highlight the potential performance the Chevrolet Volt has, the automaker is bragging about two owners – one in Florida and one in South Carolina.

Steve Wojtanek, one of the Volt owners from the first batch, has managed for instance, by driving carefully, to reach an average of 122 mpg, while Gary Davis of Greenville says he’s seeing a fuel economy of 547 miles per gallon. Officially, the car has an EPA mpg equivalent of 93.

According to the company, 80% of Americans drive fewer than 40 miles a day, which would be just in the ballpark of the Volt’s all-electric capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails Volt owners reporting MPG....-volt-mpg.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 06-29-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 01:35 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

What about the KW.....they should also included how many KW and cost for the electric bill.

This is not accurate in the total cost........ex. the Nissan Leaf's MPG will be infinite as it don't use gas at all.
Old 06-29-11, 01:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
What about the KW.....they should also included how many KW and cost for the electric bill.

This is not accurate in the total cost........ex. the Nissan Leaf's MPG will be infinite as it don't use gas at all.
This research had nothing to do with cost. It does not mention gas prices nor electricity costs.

It was about MPG.

So far, the Volt proves worthy for certain types of drivers who (a) drive relatively short distances daily, (b) promote "green" living, and (c) can afford the price premium in the first place.
Old 06-29-11, 01:51 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the volt can achieve infinite MPG if run exclusively in electric mode. IMO, MPG ratings are meaningless on a vehicle that can be plugged in.
Old 06-29-11, 01:53 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Im curious to see the KWhr usage
Old 06-29-11, 01:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
But the volt can achieve infinite MPG if run exclusively in electric mode. IMO, MPG ratings are meaningless on a vehicle that can be plugged in.
Exactly.

That's why it's such a great buy for the right kind of clientele.
Old 06-29-11, 02:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
Yep

If your the kinda person that has a <40 mile commute and all you do is drive to work, back and then plug that puppy in every night, you may never use the gas.
Old 06-29-11, 02:51 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plug it in at work someone should floor it and see how much mpg.
Old 06-29-11, 04:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This research had nothing to do with cost. It does not mention gas prices nor electricity costs.

It was about MPG.

So far, the Volt proves worthy for certain types of drivers who (a) drive relatively short distances daily, (b) promote "green" living, and (c) can afford the price premium in the first place.
Exactly.

Anyway, if I was to buy one it would be to cut down on gasoline usage, not so much operating costs....also for the convenience of plugging in.

If you've seen one -- I think they look pretty good.
Old 06-29-11, 05:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Exactly.

Anyway, if I was to buy one it would be to cut down on gasoline usage, not so much operating costs....also for the convenience of plugging in.

If you've seen one -- I think they look pretty good.
whats the convenience of plugging it in for 8 hrs to recharge? Or 4 hrs if you install $2k charger in garage?

Volt is inferior product... sales reflect this.
Old 06-29-11, 06:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by spwolf
whats the convenience of plugging it in for 8 hrs to recharge? Or 4 hrs if you install $2k charger in garage?

The average car is parked 22 hours a day.

Is it inferior? Well, compared to gas cars, yes. It has less power, higher cost, and it surely isn't the best car on the road.

But inferior to what? The Leaf? A Tesla Roadster? The car is somewhat unique, and being a first generation plug-in electric hybrid, it sorta stands neither inferior or superior to it's class. It is unique, as good and bad as that uniqueness may be.

Sales for any $40k compact car without the badge, performance, luxury, nor exclusivity surely will not be high. If Chevy had expectations to sell masses, I'm surely they're eating their hat. Otherwise, I wouldn't count on sales to be a marker of success.
Old 06-29-11, 06:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Otherwise, I wouldn't count on sales to be a marker of success.

they invested over 1 billion into Volt and sell few hundreds per month... They expected 16k sales this year and 60k next year.

and it is inferior to other vehicles, both Leaf and Prius. It is inferior because GM wanted to make it different on purpose, and not to call it hybrid. This is why it gets mid-30 MPG when out of EV power.

Prius PHV will get 50mpg when out of electric power... wonder which one will sell better? And GM already said they are losing money at 40k as it is.
Old 06-29-11, 06:51 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bailout money put into good use
Old 06-29-11, 06:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont forget the subsidies, every taxpayer here paid for it....whether they wanted it or not. They need to provide an equivalent kWh ---> mpg conversion. Gallons are still being consumed but external to the car, the power plant.
Old 06-30-11, 06:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

I park my car in a garage at home for about 13 hours a day m-f with 6 outlets in my garage.

I also park my car at work for 9 hours m-f with easy access to outlets, and it would be FREE to charge it (I already asked).

[B]inferior? can you show me another car with the same range that has this average MPG??[/B] sure I don't agree with the subsidies, but it IS made in America (batteries too). http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...batteries.html
Attached Thumbnails Volt owners reporting MPG....-volt-mpg.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-11 at 06:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Volt owners reporting MPG....