Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
X5 versus Q7. Agreed with you there 100%. Q7 had good steering, etc, but the X5 is a better drive. The Q7 was more geared towards autobahns, whereas it's obvious the heavy BMW steering and chassis is more geared towards country roads and going up and down mountain paths. (BMW does market these SUVs as Sports Activity Cars )
BMW steering isn't necesarily "heavy". It just provides a more-tactile road-feel, something that Audi steering-systems are getting better at, but still haven't mastered. BMW, with the possible exception of Porsche, simply does power-steering-feel like no other mass-production automaker.

The Audi 2.0T is a slightly different unit than the VW's 2.0T TSI engine in that, the Audi's engine incorporates Audi's valvelift system, which is why you see the increase in torque and HP over the VW version of the engine. However, you are correct. These engines (even in VW guise) are quite underrated.
Good...I'm glad you noticed that, too.

Actually, they were underrated. They now show 258 ft-lbs. of torque instead of 207, which, IMO, is much more accurate.

Regarding the DSG, Audi marketing is some serious BS. Most dealers are VW/Audi therefore they already have the techs who know how to fix them. Plus, you are right, aren't Audi techs already paid more? They already deal with more complex systems, how hard is another transmission.
Few things in the automotive world drive me up the wall with B.S. more than auto-marketers. I'd rather listen, sometimes, to politicians and lawyers.

As a self-proclaimed VW/Audi fanboy, I did make the pilgrimage to VAG HQ in Hendron last summer when I was visiting. Lots of Euro goodies in the parking lots there. RS5, TT-RS, A8, Golf R, Fiat 500 (all before they were even released or confirmed for sale here in the US), new Toureag. I then took a walk into the parking garage. Veyrons, R8s, Lamborghinis

Are there any other HQs in the area? I'm going to be back in early August.
I don't know of any other actual corporate HQ in the area besides VW of America, but you mentioned the Fiat 500....a couple of area-dealerships are now open for buisness. I did a Fiat 500 review a few months ago.
Old 06-30-11, 10:43 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was already informed that Stasis (sp?) can remap your ECU to unlock another 100 HP. Audi was very conservative on this engine at launch.

The B & O unit was very slick in the car I drove. I found the adaptive handwriting pad to be pretty slick...very progressive thinking.
Old 06-30-11, 12:18 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmarshall - Again thank you for a great review. I always find that you put a lot of emphasis on the criteria that are most important to me so find your reviews especially informative.

I have had Audi on my shortlist for my last few car purchases and have always been tempted but I just can't get past their poor reliability. If you look on the JD Powers site and view by individual model you see that for all the recent models, at best they get three out of five and most get two out of five in most quality ratings. Way to low (IMO) for cars costing this much.

I recently had problems with my LS460 that caused me to think again about Audi but a couple of chance discussions with other Audi owners convinced that it was not yet time to switch from Lexus to Audi. Maybe by the time of my next purchase they will have gotten their reliability act together; but by then perhaps Hyundai will be on top
Old 06-30-11, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
As I said above, only the VW ones are still 207 ft-lb because they don't incorporate Audi's valvelift.
OK...sorry. I didn't catch that before.

The 3.0T seems to be also quite underrated. One of the Audi/VW tuners APR had the S4 up on the dyno and it was putting down 330hp AT the wheels. With the AWD drivetrain loss, that's almost near 370-380hp.
Thanks. I had strongly suspected that, but didn't have the dyno-results. Torque, though, is more of an indication of acceleration at lower speeds than HP. HP comes into play at higher speeds, where it is more of a factor in overcoming wind-resistance and in determining top speed.
Old 06-30-11, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tetra7
I was already informed that Stasis (sp?) can remap your ECU to unlock another 100 HP. Audi was very conservative on this engine at launch.
Unless the re-mapping is factory-approved (like with Shelby, AMG, etc....), aftermarket-screwing with ECUs and computer-chips can, in some cases, void the warranty. Audi's engine/drivetrain is only 4/50 to begin with......why shorten it even more? It can also, in some cases, affect emission-readings in states that require the tests.
Old 06-30-11, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edarte
mmarshall - Again thank you for a great review. I always find that you put a lot of emphasis on the criteria that are most important to me so find your reviews especially informative.
Glad it helps. I try to give a complete description of the car from stem to stern, and what you are actually getting for your money.....something that not all car-magazine and TV-reviews do.

I have had Audi on my shortlist for my last few car purchases and have always been tempted but I just can't get past their poor reliability. If you look on the JD Powers site and view by individual model you see that for all the recent models, at best they get three out of five and most get two out of five in most quality ratings. Way to low (IMO) for cars costing this much.
If possible, though, try to compare the J.D. Power data with Consumer Reports. CR, IMO, has substantially better reliability-data.

I recently had problems with my LS460 that caused me to think again about Audi but a couple of chance discussions with other Audi owners convinced that it was not yet time to switch from Lexus to Audi. Maybe by the time of my next purchase they will have gotten their reliability act together; but by then perhaps Hyundai will be on top
Check out the Equus (only certain, select Hyundai dealerships have them). I don't think you will be disappointed, although the choice of only four exterior colors is ridiculous. It is not, however, as sporty as an A6...more of a traditional luxury-car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...dai-equus.html

I also reviewed the Hyundai Genesis sedan, but only the 3.8L V6 model....the 4.6L V8 hadn't been released yet.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...sis-sedan.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-11 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 09:01 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Sooo....

A $22,000 Ford Focus can parallel park itself...Can this car do that? Of course I know the answer to that question...but you have to wonder, if Ford can put that feature in a car and sell it to the masses, why the hell can VW/Audi not do it on a car that cost as much as some people's homes are worth?
Old 07-01-11, 03:56 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Nice Mike

Agree with about all in the review.... the complexities Audi is moving towards with technology will be a BIG issue going forward... "gremlins" everywhere... and I've driven the A6 (and S6)... would take E-series or 5-series over A6.

My new philosophy... KISS, hence my affection for "pure" or simplistic sports cars only... Cayman S, Shelby GT500, and Corvette Z06... for DD sedans, GTI or upcoming 2012 GLI... that's my $.02

GREAT review... ALWAYS enjoy them!!!
Old 07-01-11, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Sooo....

A $22,000 Ford Focus can parallel park itself...Can this car do that? Of course I know the answer to that question...but you have to wonder, if Ford can put that feature in a car and sell it to the masses, why the hell can VW/Audi not do it on a car that cost as much as some people's homes are worth?
Audi, though not quite to the extent of BMW, builds Drivers's cars. As such, they assume that people know how to drive......and park.
Old 07-01-11, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Nice Mike

GREAT review... ALWAYS enjoy them!!!
Thanks, Russ. It was a pleasure driving the A6, even though the Sport suspension/tires rode a litle stiffer than I like.

The supercharged V6 in the A6 felt at least as strong, if not more so, than the 4.2L V8 you asked me to check out in the S5 a couple of years ago.

Agree with about all in the review.... the complexities Audi is moving towards with technology will be a BIG issue going forward... "gremlins" everywhere... and I've driven the A6 (and S6)... would take E-series or 5-series over A6.

Well, the E-Class and 5-series also have very complex dash-controls. That seems to be one of the gremlins of upmarket German machines.

My new philosophy... KISS,
New? They've been around a while. (just kidding)

hence my affection for "pure" or simplistic sports cars only... Cayman S, Shelby GT500, and Corvette Z06... for DD sedans, GTI or upcoming 2012 GLI... that's my $.02
For a DD, you would take a chance with VW's known weak reliability? The Golf, though, fortunately, has been somewhat more reliable than some other VW products.
Old 07-01-11, 09:36 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Russ.

For a DD, you would take a chance with VW's known weak reliability? The Golf, though, fortunately, has been somewhat more reliable than some other VW products.
For KISS... they RULE... still... first album I ever bought myself... KISS Alive... if they come this way will HAVE to see them AGAIN

For VW- yep, I have driven the Wolf hard for the last 15 months, 20K miles this weekend... not a hint of issues, the 2.0T rocks and gets 33 mpg at 75mph, handles, plenty of trunk space and room for kids... GLI (which is an upgrade to Wolf, which was discontinued) arrives in Sept, new GTI in Aug... and my lease will be coming due...

I would have no issue getting another
Old 07-01-11, 10:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Sooo....

same was true when toyota put this feature in Prius, some 7 years ago :-).
Or when Lexus put it their LS.
Old 07-01-11, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
same was true when toyota put this feature in Prius, some 7 years ago :-).
Or when Lexus put it their LS.
Has the Prius had the self-park feature that long? Doesn't seem so. The LS, I know, has had it at least 3 or 4 years. I briefly tried it out on the LS460 I reviewed back then, but it was somewhat complex to set up, and the salespeople had to show it off the first time.