Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are the "most American" cars? Camry and Accord top the list, Chevy Malibu third.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 10:54 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default What are the "most American" cars? Camry and Accord top the list, Chevy Malibu third.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...anese-makers/1

The two most American cars aren't, well, American, according to a new ranking by our friends at Cars.com. For the third straight year, Toyota Camry, a product of Japan's largest automaker, is the "most American car," as determined by Cars.com formula. Honda Accord, the flagship of Japan's second largest automaker, is second.

The highest car on Cars.com annual ranking from a Detroit Big 3 maker is General Motors' Chevrolet Malibu.

Cars.com's annual American-Made Index ranks the most-American vehicles based on percentage of their parts that are made domestically, where they are assembled and how many are sold to U.S. buyers.
According to the study, around 80% of the Camry and Accord's internals are from the US and are largely built in the US. The Ford Explorer (which ranked 4th) has a greater percentage of internals from the US, at 85%, but sells in much lower numbers. It's an interesting look at globalization.
Old 06-27-11, 10:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"American" auto enthusiasts could care less that their cars are made in Canada and Mexico.

If it's a Dodge or a Ford, they'll wave their Chinese-made American Flags with pride.
Old 06-27-11, 12:36 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

the transmission is probably the only thing japanese, at least that was the case for my mazda
Old 06-27-11, 12:42 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
"American" auto enthusiasts could care less that their cars are made in Canada and Mexico.

If it's a Dodge or a Ford, they'll wave their Chinese-made American Flags with pride.
LOL

I guess this is just another example of how powerful Branding can be...

In certain parts of the country you could be shot for saying that Toyota is more american than a Ford or Chevy.
Old 06-27-11, 12:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love when hard-core people say that anyone who buys a Japanese/Foreign car doesn't care about America or supporting America's job market. Then you just show them stuff like this about how "American" Japanese cars are and how "American" American cars are. Had a couple people tell me they wont buy anything but a G.M./Ford/Chrysler car because its almost un-American to buy a Japanese car. Please
Old 06-27-11, 03:52 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

ABC World News had a special of a Toyota Camery vs. Ford Escape in terms of American jobs. Basically, the Camery killed the Escape when it came to parts and assembly with the Escape in the ~60% (if I remember correctly), but the Escape caught up when they considered that Ford was based in the US. They let an American family choose to replace their aging SUV, and guess what they choose.

Kind of sad that an American car company uses less assembly and parts than a foreign car company. Yeah, globalization and savings, whatever, but it's obviously possible and cost effective if someone else is already doing it.
Old 06-27-11, 09:55 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
This kind of bull**** pisses me off because I went to go look at the Chevy Cruze the other day and was looking at a new SRX they had out front. Smartass sales person was telling me how I should support the US economy by buying an American car versus a BMW. Basically my response to him was "My BMW is actually made in America using US parts and Americans to build it and the SRX is made by immigrants in Mexico. I continued to say how the X5 is a superior car to the SRX." LOL, that shut him up fast. Didn't even bother coming on the test drive. I tossed him the keys and left after.
You mean citizens of Mexico
Old 06-27-11, 11:26 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

It's funny how Toyota is beating GM, Ford and especially Dodge at their own game in their own land...
Old 06-28-11, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
I continued to say how the X5 is a superior car to the SRX." LOL, that shut him up fast.
Problem is, that is not necessarily the case. The X5, of course, has the typically well-engineered BMW-chassis/steering system, but other than that, is not a notably better vehicle. And neither vehicle has much of a reputation for reliability.