Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Interesting....so Doc, my contacts have UV protection. Am I less likely to get cataracts?
yes. The UV coating on the lenses will protect the UV from entering the eye, but the UV can still cause pingueculas and ptrygiums. I see these everyday practicing in a sunny state

PS I added a pic of a cataract so you guys know what we are trying to slow down. Cataracts are inevitable but you would rather be 80 and not 65 when you get yours
Attached Thumbnails Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-pinguecula1.jpg   Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-pinguecula1-hd.jpg   Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-pterygium.jpg   Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-cataract2.jpg  
Old 06-20-11, 11:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tofu_house
So basically, they've taken the idea that harmful UV radiation from the sun can cause skin cancer (a fact that we've known about for a long time already), applied to a driving scenario, and called it a significant medical discovery?

Next they're going to release an article on what?... the correlation between melanoma and other skin cancers with playing sports out in the sun?

This is about as useful a finding as the breakthrough correlation between fast food intake and obesity...
This info is not a discovery. They explained this to me way back ion the day when I was in school a million years ago. I think its simply supportive data studies .
Old 06-20-11, 11:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just another heads up guys. ( free optometry info lol). Also when you dont wear sunglasses you will liquify the gel that fills the eye and this will result in vitreous floaters. They are the little hair specs in your field of vision on bright days. Sun glasses will stop this from happening as quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-floaters.jpg   Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-floaters.23913756_std.jpg   Report: Driving can contribute to deadliest cancer, particularly on your left side-mideyes.jpg  
Old 06-20-11, 12:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Like fast foods, many choose to make the choice to get sun exposure. What also goes with the window down is the hearing loss in the left ear. As many do on a car forum with big audio systems, the hearing loss is quite measurable.
So sun related issues along with hearing loss.
Old 06-20-11, 01:22 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Doc, please warn us before posting the NSFW pics. My wife sees an ophthalmic surgeon yearly due to her TBI in 1996. A horse injury cause optic nerve damage resulting in the complete loss of eyesight in one eye and slight loss in the other. Your pics reminded me that I should get an eye checkup as it's been a few years for me.
Old 06-20-11, 03:53 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tinted my motorcycle windshield.

I don't think it helps that much...

Old 06-21-11, 08:58 AM
feetsies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu_house
So basically, they've taken the idea that harmful UV radiation from the sun can cause skin cancer (a fact that we've known about for a long time already), applied to a driving scenario, and called it a significant medical discovery?

Next they're going to release an article on what?... the correlation between melanoma and other skin cancers with playing sports out in the sun?

This is about as useful a finding as the breakthrough correlation between fast food intake and obesity...
I agree. Not to mention the guy is "fat-arming". Does anyone really still do that?!
Old 06-21-11, 01:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Like fast foods, many choose to make the choice to get sun exposure. What also goes with the window down is the hearing loss in the left ear. As many do on a car forum with big audio systems, the hearing loss is quite measurable.
So sun related issues along with hearing loss.
good point