Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think women are attracted to what men drive?
Definitely yes!
62.07%
Not really.
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 10:38 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Cars as a Mark of Manhood . . .

From SciGuy over at the Houston Chronicle this morning:
Six scientists, including two Texas psychologists (Jill Sundie, Asst. Prof of Marketing at University of Texas, San Antonio and Daniel Beal PhD, Asst Prof, Industrial/Organizational Psychology at Rice), conducted four tests to examine the nature of conspicuous consumption as a signaling system to attract mates.

What the researchers found contradicted previous work, namely, the new studies conclude that conspicuous consumption (everything from Porsches to designer shoes) is related to a desire for short-term mates (romantic flings, essentially) rather than a general desire for long-term relationships.

Women seeking the latter, say marriage, apparently saw through this ruse. According to the researchers, women seeking a long-term commitment may find a Porsche-owner more desirable for a date, but they had no preference for a Porsche guy over a Honda Civic owner when it came to settling down.
There. Now just how much money have I saved you seekers of permanent mates today? Drive that Civic with your head held high.

Meanwhile PLAYAS, did I just justify that new GT3 for you?

You're welcome, glad to be of service.
Old 06-16-11, 10:47 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

But looking at it from the other side; the driver of the Porsche will have the opportunity to interview far more candidates for the position of long term partner (and in a wider variety of positions too, probably), than the driver of the Civic who may find that his candidate list is a bit short.
Old 06-16-11, 10:52 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha ^^^^
Old 06-16-11, 10:57 AM
LexFather

When I was younger I'd look out the driveway at a party and all the girls had red Civics.....they are the prey not the hunter

Old 06-16-11, 12:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think this study would be different if they looked at results in LA. I will never forget a girl in LA at a club walked up to me and " damn, you're fine.....what do you drive". I would never see stuff like that in Boston or Phoenix
Old 06-16-11, 02:01 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think this study would be different if they looked at results in LA. I will never forget a girl in LA at a club walked up to me and " damn, you're fine.....what do you drive". I would never see stuff like that in Boston or Phoenix
What was your answer, and how did the conversation go after that?

Speaking of fine, that's a mighty fine peacock photo in the OP.

Turby
Old 06-16-11, 02:03 PM
JessePS

LOL I just saw this story. Even if I had a Porsche, it wouldn't help me with my game, because it wouldn't change my mind about people. I just don't care
Old 06-16-11, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

There are a number of automotive stereotypes, most of them from the automotive press and so-called "enthusiasts", that, to me, just don't make any sense. True manhood, IMO, is buying and driving what you want, can afford, and/or what makes sense for you.

Elvis Presley, for example, an All-American singer and macho-dude, used to like pink Cadillac convertibles. Even so, pink cars were not considered as feminine back then as they are today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-11 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-16-11, 04:46 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Buy a motorcycle. For half the price of a Civic, you'll get more attention from the opposite sex then the guy who broke the bank to buy his Porsche.
Old 06-16-11, 07:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I figured a car like the 7 series BMW or Lexus LS would be a mark of manhood. It's worlds above a Civic and it's rare to see a kid driving one of these.

A minivan could be a sign of manhood. It means you had to give up your dream car and get a minivan to haul your kids around.
Old 06-16-11, 09:52 PM
cenix
Driver

it's clear the six scientists who published the study are all virgins with no chance of finding suitable mates (and driving civics )
Old 06-17-11, 12:09 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The mark of manhood to me means that first ride that he is able to obtain. It might not be the fastest or most expensive in most cases, but it is his- one that he can work on and personalize (some better than others). In my area, this was usually those older '70s and '80s cars that are now worth quite a bit. My first car was my mom's '79 BMW 320i. Learning how to drive manual as my first driving experience was a great one, but it was no fun when it constantly needed care. I cherished every moment behind the wheel when it was running, as well as all the times I would work on it with my dad. The car doesn't make the man better; the man makes the car better.
Old 06-17-11, 06:18 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think what the psychologists* are saying is that men who drive flashy cars do so primarily to attract women - however women, being a bit more pragmatic, often seek a more stable relationship than just a casual hook-up. This fiscal maturity finds favor in more practical cars, usually well cared-for, that reflect a more responsible yet caring owner.

Therefore we can say that players tend to attract other players with their "display" of expensive cars. If you are looking for a potential mate with some degree of intellectual and fiscal maturity, drive something less grand, investing instead in a wash bucket, clay bar, wax and elbow grease. Oh, and lose that dangly air freshener hanging from your mirror. You need to show at least some class.

In short, men who are spending over 25% of their budget on their ride may not be great candidates for nesting. Adult females seem to sense this. Most financial experts say that you should spend no more than 12% of your budget on a car (plus maintenance, insurance, and fuel). Of course, no one spends over 12% of their monthly income on a car note around here, do they?

Old 06-17-11, 10:59 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study

Found this in today's paper. What's your opinion on the subject? Fact or fiction?

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/16...men-says-study
Old 06-17-11, 11:14 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this article in the "car chat" but I think its party true. Men do buy flashy items to attract women, however I think the "fast" part is really just for us.

I mean if there were no women, we'll all probably be driving insanely fast car with no safety regulations and cardboard painted body panels. If man could bang a woman in a cardboard box, then there would be no houses.

Quick Reply: Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study