Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trade Infiniti G35x for Acura TSX/Lexus CT

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 04:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you are concerned with saving gas you are concerned with saving money so only limiting yourself to two 30K+ upscale cars is not making the most financial sense. Financially if you take a hit it may make sense financially to keep the gas guzzling G35 even if you don't like its mileage over selling it and buying something new. I would be looking more toward 4 cylinder Accord/Camry if you are really looking for gas/money savings, used even more. If you want something with some luxury from a higher end brand that is fine but you will be saving much more money by buying a lower end brand/car especially one slightly used. Out of the TSX/CT I would choose the car you get a better deal on first since that will save you initially and figure over the long run if opting for a hybrid is going to really save you much. They are both pretty different, I personally would choose the TSX, it is quicker and sportier and I like the look of a regular 4 door sedan over a hatchback.

You definitely want to test drive them a few times and go with what you like the most.
Old 06-16-11, 08:13 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt the CT200h is as "slow" as people make it out to be.

For comparisons sake, I have no problems overtaking with my even less powerful Volkswagen Golf 1.6 on the German Autobahns at even higher speeds that aren't legal back home in the US. It's an automatic, to. If I can manage this in a weaker Golf, then the CT200h should easily have enough passing power for North American market conditions.

I would drive the CT200h and form my own opinion. I absolutely refuse to form my own opinions about a car from a review. Let's face it: most of these journalists just came back from a joy drive in a Ferrari Enzo and now they're cursed with driving a slower car...

Figuratively speaking.
Old 06-16-11, 09:49 PM
cenix
Driver

^ the ct200h is slow, but it's not to the point where you can't merge onto the freeway or keep up with freeway traffic. then again, if you're trying to get an affordable hybrid, the least of your concerns should be great passing power.

the ct200h shines in the city where it's not abnormal to get upwards of 46+ mpg for longer periods of city driving. in fact, i recently averaged just over 52 mpg along a stretch of pacific coast highway (here in southern california), santa barbara to los angeles. great views with great gas mileage to boot.
Old 06-16-11, 10:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If gas mileage is your concern, then money is your concern. Have you added up the costs of keeping the gas guzzler compared to the costs of getting a new car and having to pay that off an additional 3-4 years? It's likely cheaper to keep what you have. You'd be better off holding onto the G and paying it off fully, gaining as much equity out of it as possible. Once all that is done, sell it private party and get something more economical. As you stand now, trading in your unpaid car and buying another expensive one does nothing to save you any money. If fact, you go deeper into the debt hole, especially if you are trading it in. Look at the longterm here, not what you pay every month for this or for that.
Old 06-17-11, 03:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If gas mileage is your concern, then money is your concern. Have you added up the costs of keeping the gas guzzler compared to the costs of getting a new car and having to pay that off an additional 3-4 years? It's likely cheaper to keep what you have. You'd be better off holding onto the G and paying it off fully, gaining as much equity out of it as possible. Once all that is done, sell it private party and get something more economical. As you stand now, trading in your unpaid car and buying another expensive one does nothing to save you any money. If fact, you go deeper into the debt hole, especially if you are trading it in. Look at the longterm here, not what you pay every month for this or for that.
who knows what will the resale value of 300hp car be few years into the future though, it really depends on cost of fuel... saving half of the fuel money could be substantial.

at the end, this is not just about saving money... it is like person buying S250CDI in germany for $150k.
Old 06-17-11, 04:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Between the two,TSX.
Old 06-17-11, 09:55 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really like the look of the current Acura lineup. If you were looking at the previous generation TSX, I'd be all over it. But then again, it's much older than a current model CT right now, which basically just came out. Yes, changing your Infiniti in doesn't make sense financially, but if you're not happy with it, I wouldn't just try to stick it out (if you can afford it). Get a different car; joy > money in most cases.
Old 06-21-11, 11:54 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Also look at the 2011 s60 t5 or a4 the TSX is dog ugly.