Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1st time leasing a car help-- BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 07:10 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 1st time leasing a car help-- BMW 335i

Hello all

I am thinking about leasing a BMW 335i, the terms are below:

27-month lease well-equipped at $429*/month. $1,305 Option Credit available.Vehicle Registered outside N.Y.
• $429 First months payment
• $3,000 Down payment
• $0 Security Deposit
• $725 Acquisition fee
• $4,154 Cash due at signing
At lease end, lessee will be liable for disposition fee ($350.00)
22500 miles for the leasing period

Total Lease payments are $11,583.00

1. Could someone explain to me what the down payment of $3000 portion is? Since 27 month * $429= $11,583..... Will the $3000 be contributed into my total lease payment of $11583?

2. What is the acuquisition fee and disposition fee?

3. Like buying a car, could i ever negotiate the leasing payments?

4. FINALLY, is this a good deal??

What else should i know about leasing a car?

thanks for any suggestions or advice!!
Old 06-14-11, 08:36 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't do it there's so much things wrong with it recalls and what not!!!!!
Old 06-14-11, 09:05 PM
IceSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW refuses to correct the fuel pump issue. 4 years and running. Even the recall doesn't correct the design.

That said..the disposition fee is what you pay if you choose not to purchase the car at the end of the lease. Keep in mind that lease deal, which looks similar to the one I saw on BMW's website a few days ago, is on a basic model.

Last edited by IceSC; 06-14-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Moved....leases should have as little down as possible.....nothing leases like a BMW or an Infiniti so no surprise with this deal...check out slickdeals.net, they have huge active lease threads where people are buying BMWs and Infiniti's for $3 and a peanut butter sandwich . In all seriousness tons of good deals there.

Old 06-14-11, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

terrible deal imho, or at least i don't think it's worth it. here's why

first, never down payment for lease. always make it zero. ask them to redo the math and give you a new payment. but basically 3000 for 27 months, that means 111 a month. so instead of 430, your actually payment can be thought of as 541 a month. that alone is high imho

acq fee, a lot of times it's there already, dunno if you can do anything about it. the deposition fee, is that a thing for ny state? i never recall seeing anything like that here in ca

22500 miles for 27 month, that's ONLY 833 miles a month. that's very few miles for the price you pay!!!!!!

1) no the 3k is not part of it

2) answered above already (sort of)

3) of course you can always negotiate. lease payment is calculated from cap cost, which means the price of the car. and that's always negotiable

4) i already answered this

put it this way. back in 2007 the 335 was still new and hot, my friend did a ED and leased a 335 and he was paying around 5xx a month, and that was on either 10k or 12k miles a month. considering how "old" the car is now, bmw is lowering prices a lot. you should be able to get far better deal. i know someone who is paying 8xx a month for a e93 m3 (msrp 80k), so i assume a e92 m3 will be around what, 6xx or 700? that's another comparison.

seems like you are new to lease, i strongly suggest you read and learn more about leasing first before jumping into it. do you know what's the money factor on the car? the residual? you should be very familiar with all the terms and how everything is calculated so you know how much you are paying on the car, how much interest, and how much tax.
Old 06-14-11, 10:43 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know in florida, but in NY, most places have that disposition fee. If you decide to buy the car, it is obviously waved. You can also negotiate it to be waved if you decide to get a new lease on another BMW at the end of the current one. It's basically a gimmick they use to try and get you tto either buy the car or keep ding business with them.

Same thing with the acquisition fee. It's just another BS fee they put in there to get money from you.

Always negotiate payments whenever you can. to do that, you first have to negotiate a purchase price of the car.

In NY you have to pay tax on the portion of the car you are paying for, not the full price.
Old 06-15-11, 09:42 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

thanks for all the replies!

it sounds like everyone thinks this is a bad deal. what (price) and when (month) could a good deal be achieved then? is it all depends on how i negotiate?
Old 06-15-11, 09:45 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

any CL members currently leasing one and could possibly share your experience and prices?
Old 06-15-11, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it's all about negotiations. it's true that end of month / yr will get you better deals, but if you do enough homework ahead of time and bring all the best numbers you can find, you are on the upper hand.
Old 06-15-11, 10:57 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you go to the BMW forums and search the forums in your area and see what other members are quoting for the deals they got. You find someone who got a better deal, ask them to take you their dealer and piggyback off their work.
Old 06-15-11, 04:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

3 things you have to be really concerned by on leases:
- capitalized costs (how much is the sale price of the vehicle you are purchasing, and yes you should still agree on cost of the vehicle as is)
- residual value of the vehicle (how much will it be worth at end of lease, as you pay the delta for this. It also adds up to your purchase price at end of lease too).
- money factor (take the interest rate applied to your lease per month and divide it by how many months. you want to keep this as low as possible, otherwise you should buy it instead).
all the rest of things like down payment, terms, etc. should be contingent on the above 3 items.
Old 06-15-11, 05:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

another quick note. lowest cap cost possible, higher residual possible, lowest money factor possible, lowest down payment possible
Old 06-15-11, 06:38 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
another quick note. lowest cap cost possible, higher residual possible, lowest money factor possible, lowest down payment possible
Why no down payment? In the end, what your paying off towards the vehicle is the difference between the agreed sale value and residual value. What difference does it make how you pay it off?

The only thing I can think of is if you wreck it, but that is coming down to insurance anyway.
Old 06-15-11, 10:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ask how much gap insurance is too? Might be cheaper from your car insurance company, but compare it to the cost at the dealer too.

Always a good idea on a leased car
Old 06-15-11, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Why no down payment? In the end, what your paying off towards the vehicle is the difference between the agreed sale value and residual value. What difference does it make how you pay it off?

The only thing I can think of is if you wreck it, but that is coming down to insurance anyway.
that alone is good enough of a reason to avoid down payment. bottom line when you look at it from different angles, including insurance, none of them is working your way. so why not keep the cash in the pocket for some other better returns

Quick Reply: 1st time leasing a car help-- BMW 335i