Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Efficiency and Flexibility - A Story About Why Lexus Needs A Camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 12:44 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, what did the first and second gen SC's share a platform with?

PS - Lots of good writing and opinions here!
Old 06-16-11, 01:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think Lexus is doing fine. They just need to focus on the sport and luxury end of it. The HS was a weak effort, but all other models have found successful niches and made a good reputation for themselves.
If the company has faltered in one area, it's extending the model years of their bread and butter sedans. If there had been a new ES, IS, and GS by now, we'd all be focusing on those and not thinking about what Lexus could/should be doing.
Old 06-16-11, 01:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Well, the Touareg is a luxury SUV on par with the RX, etc and STARTS at $40k and goes all the way to $65k. A Q7 borrows from it and starts at $45k and goes up to 75k-80k. The Camry is a boring midsize sedan that can be had for under $20k. Not befitting for a luxury car.
That's a hock of bull****, but whatever, you are entitled to your opinion.

Originally Posted by Alucard
Just curious, what did the first and second gen SC's share a platform with?

PS - Lots of good writing and opinions here!
MkIV Supra and GS/Aristo respectively.
Old 06-16-11, 02:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically what MP said is Lexus needs to expand its lineup and I agree. That is something that is long overdue.
Old 06-16-11, 06:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Basically what MP said is Lexus needs to expand its lineup and I agree. That is something that is long overdue.
But should they go as far as the 3 German lineups, where the CUV/SUV models are starting to outnumber the car models -- Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7; X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6; GLK, ML, GL, R, G? (OK, I exaggerate somewhat.)
Old 06-16-11, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Well, the Touareg is a luxury SUV on par with the RX, etc and STARTS at $40k and goes all the way to $65k. A Q7 borrows from it and starts at $45k and goes up to 75k-80k. The Camry is a boring midsize sedan that can be had for under $20k. Not befitting for a luxury car.
main problem with all of this is that if you didnt know they were based on same "platform" you would have no idea that Camry and RX had anything to do with each other.

This is what you have troubles understanding and this is why regardless RX is the best selling vehicle in the class for a decade.

also - new 1 series will use PSA turbo engines. Imagine Lexus using Chrysler engine?
Old 06-16-11, 07:43 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think it will hurt if Lexus shares some of its engines through out the line up, but it wouldn't make sense to have a single platform shared among all of the models. Like what was said earlier, Nissan/Infiniti does it, but it really only works on the G35 and the FX50/35.
Old 06-18-11, 03:46 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

And the Touareg is an unreliable, ugly POS from one of the worst brands in the world with regards to build quality and reliability. The Camry and ES don't share not one exterior panel, the interiors are completely different. The average joe could not tell you that they are related. I agree that Lexus should further move away from Toyota (if only to shut the vocal haters up), to say/imply that they're just dressed up Toyotas is flat out wrong.
Old 06-18-11, 03:52 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
If you look at the Camry, it has arguably the best powertrain in its class, the V6 is smooth, fast and reliable. On the flip side, the interior is among the worst. Therefore it seems Toyota spent more of the development costs on the powertrain, which makes sense since they have to use that V6 in Lexus products as well.

Frankly I'd say the powertrain in the ES and RX are among the top in their respective segments, regardless of if they're sourced from the Camry. As a whole I also think the RX is better than both the GLK and the X3, again despite being based on the Camry (price wise it does not compete against the more expensive X5 and ML, the GX does).

With the next generation of the Camry rumours have it that Toyota will be discontinuing the V6 model for trim levels below the XLE, which means a Camry V6 is essentially a luxury car (since you have to get the higher price low volume XLE model for the V6).

Having said all that though I would prefer Lexus move away from Toyota architecture, I'd like the next ES and RX to share their own platform. Lexus should do platform sharing within the Lexus brand, like Merc and BMW do, but not a lot with Toyota.
The Camry's interior is a downgrade from past Camrys, but to say it's among the worst in this class is wrong. It trumps the Malibu and Fusion easily and is competitive with the Accord. Certain parts that used to be padded surfaces were downgraded to hard plastics in the Gen 6, but there is no more than in a comparable Accord. I also think that leather quality in the Camry is among the best in class. The Gen 7, however, has promised to address the cheapening that happend in the current model.

As for the Camry V6, it's rumored the LE V6 model will be canned, which I think is a bad idea and I hope it doesn't come to pass, but regardless the XLE won't be the only V6 model as the SE will still be around and it will have the V6.

I agree that it would be nice for the ES and RX to share a unique platform. These cars sell in enough volume to justify the cost, though the current models are well-differentiated compared to the Camry/Highlander. I also think Lexus should have their own unique V6 (or I6 ala JZ series).
Old 06-18-11, 09:37 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The Camry's interior is a downgrade from past Camrys, but to say it's among the worst in this class is wrong. It trumps the Malibu and Fusion easily and is competitive with the Accord. Certain parts that used to be padded surfaces were downgraded to hard plastics in the Gen 6, but there is no more than in a comparable Accord. I also think that leather quality in the Camry is among the best in class. The Gen 7, however, has promised to address the cheapening that happend in the current model.

As for the Camry V6, it's rumored the LE V6 model will be canned, which I think is a bad idea and I hope it doesn't come to pass, but regardless the XLE won't be the only V6 model as the SE will still be around and it will have the V6.

I agree that it would be nice for the ES and RX to share a unique platform. These cars sell in enough volume to justify the cost, though the current models are well-differentiated compared to the Camry/Highlander. I also think Lexus should have their own unique V6 (or I6 ala JZ series).
Not sure about your experience but when I first sat in a brand new current gen Camry what struck me instantly was how cheap the interior was. Yes there are soft touch plastics, but there is less of them than the last version. The fit and finish was just deplorable, a lot of seams and gaps that didn't line up properly. I'd put the Accord's interior way ahead, and both the Malibu and Fusion had better quality interiors. The closest interior would be the Altima's, which I'll grant you is worse.
Old 06-18-11, 01:27 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Not sure about your experience but when I first sat in a brand new current gen Camry what struck me instantly was how cheap the interior was. Yes there are soft touch plastics, but there is less of them than the last version. The fit and finish was just deplorable, a lot of seams and gaps that didn't line up properly. I'd put the Accord's interior way ahead, and both the Malibu and Fusion had better quality interiors. The closest interior would be the Altima's, which I'll grant you is worse.
I've lived with a '07 Camry Hybrid for almost 5 years now, pretty much with all the options. Some of the plastics are hard, but none of them have a hollow, thin feel to them and do have nice graining, unlike my dad's POS '05 Silverado that cost $47K new with it's "leather" interior, hollow dash board, and wafer thin plastics. Some parts of the Camry were previously soft-touch in older models and hopefully they will be again in future ones (which is what some Georgetown employees have said will happen).

In areas such as the door panels, the Accord's is made of the same materials, while the Malibu and Fusion have lots of cheap, hollow plastics on the door panels and other areas, much more so than the Camry and Accord. The leather quality in basically everything GM sells is laughable and pretty much vinyl and every Malibu I've driven has an annoying squak at just the slightest bump in the road.