Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I the only one who likes the looks of this car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 08:39 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Generally hatchbacks aren't my thing unless they look more coupe like, like the Integra, tC, and such, but I actually like this car. Not totally in love with the styling, but its not bad. I would be driving one right now if I didn't buy the current car I now drive.
Old 06-13-11, 09:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I love the CT. It looks like an IS hatchback. If I had the money, I would buy one for a daily driver.
Old 06-13-11, 09:36 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

You know, they really need to make an "F" Model. Take that Mazdaspeed 3
Old 06-13-11, 09:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I didnt like it when I saw pics but when I saw it in person it looks a little better. Still pretty frumpy
Old 06-13-11, 10:47 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It definitely doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the aztec. Geez. It's a handsome car but as others have said, nothing special in terms of design. But also definitely not ugly.
Old 06-13-11, 10:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think the CT LOOKS like a hot hatch... key word, looks~
Old 06-13-11, 11:57 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it. id want one as a loaner
Old 06-14-11, 12:15 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not a fan of hatchbacks, but the CT looks decent. Not enough to sway me in though. Also agree it needs more power to live up to it's sporty advertising. And the poor HS. That thing is in drag.
Old 06-14-11, 04:46 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Its on my list of test drives when searching for a functional car that can cart some luggage, my wife, myself and my 100lb dog comfortably and still get good gas mileage.
Unfortunately, it'll be no good for your dog. I had one for a couple of days last week while my IS was in for warranty work and the rear luggage area is tiny. We have a Springer Spaniel and I was considering one so we could put him in the back but it's far too small. Even a West Highland Terrier would put a letter of complaint in if it had to travel too far in a CT.

I was really disappointed with the CT when it came out, particularly after the early concept shots. It's not a handsome car, with a curious mix of IS at the front and Toyota iQ at the rear - almost like front and back were designed by different people and then welded together. From the side it looks heavy and underwheeled. That said, after a couple of days I'd grown more used to it and appreciated it's hybrid drive system enough to give the outside the benefit of the doubt.

Give me an Alfa Romeo Guilietta with CT mechanicals and I'd be round the showroom cheque book in hand.
Old 06-14-11, 05:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Its on my list of test drives when searching for a functional car that can cart some luggage, my wife, myself and my 100lb dog comfortably and still get good gas mileage.
I agree with Big Andy, Josh....athough you may have to try it yourself to be sure, I think that the average 100-lb. pooch would be quite a load in the CT's small rear end.....the dog probably wouldn't have much room to move around. And, in an frontal-impact accident, that heavy dog would be just a few inches behind your headrest....or whoever is in the right-front seat with you.
Old 06-14-11, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As far as the CTs looks go, to me, it resembles the Mazda3 hatchback more than the Toyota Matrix. I don't consider it an ugly car, but they should have made the rear-window larger (the wiper blade/arm is only about 6" long), and, IMO, the car sits too low to the ground and has very little ground-clearance. I said in my CT review, and still feel that, it is actually more of a Toyota than a Lexus, despite the reasonably plush interior.

One thing, though, that is excellent on this car, is the NuLuxe upholstery. Lexus has done quite well what the Germans, so far, have simply been unable to do....make an slick, smooth imitation leather that is hard to tell in look and feel from the real stuff.
Old 06-14-11, 07:29 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The model I had didn't have leather but a sort of suede effect alcantara which looked like some kind of hamster fur. We only get that and real leather in the UK.

I will say that after 2 days and 250 miles of mixed motoring with the CT200h I came away with a much greater amount of respect for it than I expected after the poor reviews it had in the press. Yes the low speed ride is choppy and very un-Lexus like, but as long as you haven't got any loose teeth you'd be OK and I averaged 56mpg (46.6 mpg US) which I don't think is bad, and I wasn't being that light footed at times either.

It was particularly enjoyable sticking it in EV mode and silently creeping up behind pensioners in supermarket car parks.

Last edited by Big Andy; 06-14-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-14-11, 08:00 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it.

But then again, I liked the IS Sportcross too
Old 06-14-11, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
We have a Springer Spaniel and I was considering one so we could put him in the back but it's far too small. Even a West Highland Terrier would put a letter of complaint in if it had to travel too far in a CT.
haha, so Army (josh) will have to trade in the dog for a Chihuahua as well if he gets the car.

Originally Posted by Big Andy
It was particularly enjoyable sticking it in EV mode and silently creeping up behind pensioners in supermarket car parks.
LOL
Old 06-14-11, 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i saw one on interstate coming up behind me and was surprised the LED DRLs have a 'gap' in the middle, where i guess a projector beam shines through? this looked kinda awkward

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who likes the looks of this car?