Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, i can tell you reason why this Corolla still sells - it is the cheapest car there, handles, brakes well, gets good mpg and has good resale value.
Absolutely. I agree 100%. It has exactly what many low-cost car buyers are looking for.
Old 05-30-11, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Kizashi is one class higher car... it is like old Passat, Euro mid sized sedan in size.
It's actually compact-sized on the outside, but, of course, EPA rates vehicle-classes by interior volume, not exterior size.
Old 05-30-11, 03:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans

For those who don't want to click the link

Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans

Civic vs Corolla vs Cruze vs Elantra vs Focus vs Jetta vs Mazda3 vs Forte

Corolla, Civic, Focus...you know the names, but do you know the numbers? Last year, these three sold nearly 700,000 compact cars combined in the U.S., a staggering sum for a slowly recovering economy. This year, analysts expect sales for the entire segment to reach approximately 1.7 million, making it one of the most fiercely contested battlegrounds, and the ideal subject of our latest comparison test.

Since Japanese automakers defined this segment, we took their top-three-selling models (Toyota Corolla, the all-new ninth-generation Honda Civic, and Mazda3) and put them up against the top two from America (Ford Focus and Chevy Cruze) and Korea (Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte). We also included Germany's best-selling C-segment model, the Volkswagen Jetta.

Just what does it take to appeal to the masses in America?

Well, take a spin through the specs and note the many similarities. Each vehicle represents its brand's attempt to crack the C-segment code, so there is little variance when it comes to basic dimensions and standard features. For this test, we wanted to compare nicely equipped volume-sellers in the low $20,000 range, but not all the manufacturers were able to fulfill our requests. All eight vehicles had four-cylinder engines, automatic transmissions, front drive, alloy wheels, and stability control, but there was more variance than we'd hoped for when it came to optional equipment. To help equalize these differences, we focused on the more practical attributes of each vehicle and balanced elements like value, efficiency, ride comfort, and styling against performance and driving pleasure.

In trying to be so many things to so many people, do some manufacturers lose their way? Indeed. So, with all respect due to Gang Starr, let's see who is losing the race for mass appeal...

8th Place: TOYOTA COROLLA LE

How does the segment's best seller (and the best-selling nameplate in automobile history) land in last place? With a surprisingly unanimous thud."If any appliance makes the perfect argument for autonomous cars and light rail, this is it. Corolla has all the handling of a French car, but none of the charm," said Detroit editor Todd Lassa. "It also lacks an auto-up driver's window, character, and fifth and sixth gears."

Indeed, the soon-to-be updated Corolla is well behind the curve in features, specs, and the data points we collect. It is the slowest car here, which is not surprising since it has the least power and torque. Yet, despite its light weight and paltry output, Corolla achieved only mid-pack fuel economy.

So how did Toyota manage to sell 266,082 Corollas last year? The same way McDonald's moved another 20 bazillion burgers: by stacking 'em high and selling 'em cheap. The C-segment is not about catering to gourmet tastes, but serving up simplicity, affordability, and familiarity. Corolla delivers all these and a surprisingly good ride. "Not only is the car quite smooth on the freeway, but it's also fairly quiet, keeping road and wind noise at a minimum," noted associate editor Rory Jurnecka.

And then there are the factors we cannot consider in our test. Despite recent woes, Toyota maintains a strong customer loyalty based on a reputation for reliability and low operating costs. For many, these are enough reasons to pick the Corolla. But not for us.

7th Place: KIA FORTE EX

In stark contrast to the Toyota is Kia's Forte, which made its debut in 2010. "It's fun to drive in the same way as early '90s Hondas were; it feels nimble and alive. It's kind of a natural driver's car," remarked associate editor Mike Febbo, alluding to the Forte's best-in-test power-to-weight ratio. Colleague Scott Evans concurs, with one major caveat. "It's well-composed in the corners despite the body roll, but that ESC is pure evil when it kicks in. Completely ruins the fun by upshifting and cutting the throttle to near zero."

But compact cars need to do more than simply deliver nanny-free driving enjoyment; they need to provide genuine economy without constant reminders of said thriftiness. In this regard, the Forte was more a miss than a hit. Though flaunting one of the least-expensive price tags, it finished second from the bottom in observed fuel economy. "There's no denying the Forte is well-equipped," noted Jurnecka. "At $21,000 as-tested it has satellite radio and nav. Not bad." What's bad are the obvious shortcuts to make these notable amenities affordable.

Our evaluators uniformly ripped the Forte for its bargain interior, composed of hard black plastic, "tour bus"-quality upholstery, and suspect ergonomics. Rear-seat room is mediocre at best, while up front, the Forte was the only one in the test without a telescoping steering wheel. "I've gotten haircuts in more supportive seats," quipped Febbo, who also concluded that the Forte's main problem is that it "never feels like it's trying to be a premium car rather than a budget sedan."

6th Place: CHEVROLET CRUZE LTZ RS

As the newcomer to the segment and the Cobalt replacement, the Cruze had much to prove. Unfortunately Chevy engineers took a more-is-more approach and made it one of the largest and heaviest in our test, well over 400 pounds more than the Honda Civic. This conspired to give the Cruze the worst weight-to-power ratio and observed fuel economy: a paltry 23.8 mpg. Part of the blame goes to the anemic 138-horsepower, 1.4-liter gas turbo engine. Although it makes 6 more ponies than the Corolla's 1.8-liter, the Toyota achieved far superior fuel economy-with an antiquated four-speed transmission. Stumped? So was associate road test editor Carlos Lago, who mused, "What's the benefit to the 1.4-liter turbo? You get poor fuel economy, a thrashy sound, and acceleration that's merely on par."

There was a lot to recommend about the way Cruze, well, cruised. "Its handling prowess caught me by surprise, exhibiting great turn-in on our road loop," said Lago. Evans agreed: "Very smooth ride on the freeway and on choppy pavement, yet still planted and confident in the turns. Maybe the best compromise of ride and handling in the group."

Too bad the smooth and sophisticated ride was not matched inside. Though editor-at-large Ron Kiino found the interior "roomy-feeling and well-laid-out," rear-seat room was also judged poorest in the group despite ranking fourth numerically-surprising given the Cruze's swollen size.

5th Place: FORD FOCUS TITANIUM

As the top trim level in its line, the $24,060 Focus Titanium was the third-most-expensive vehicle in our group, but delivered a lot for the money, including sport suspension, smart key access with push-button ignition, a Sync/MyFordTouch infotainment system, and handsome 18-inch alloy wheels wrapped in game-changing Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires (a $595 option that would cost $1200 if purchased separately). Lago noted that the Focus Ti is "a textbook example of how important a good set of tires is. The Michelins transform this thing into a momentum car that's silly fun, with limits far higher than anything else here." Indeed, the combination of these sticky tires and best-in-test horsepower helped the Focus set the test's highest lateral acceleration, quickest figure-eight time, and shortest stopping distance.

The downside is that this cheater rubber raised substantial doubts about the driveability of regular Foci. Absent the extra stick, what would distract from a dual-clutch transmission dubbed "horrible" and "half-baked?"

"It's clunky at low speeds and rough when starting from a stop. To top it off, the shifts don't feel much faster than in any other auto in the group," noted Evans.

The Ford's polarizing style won back a few fans, like Kiino, who lauded the in-your-face design and Vader-esque front end, but also decried the interior, which ranks dimensionally smallest. "It feels tight to me-not sure the packaging is that stellar," he opined. "A gimmicky car, at least in terms of design."

4th Place: VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TDI

While the Focus set several handling benchmarks, the Jetta impressed our group with the fastest acceleration times, the most torque (236 pound-feet), and far and away the best fuel economy (32.3 mpg observed). But it was also the most controversial. "Clearly, the driver's car here, but it's also a ringer," said Lassa, referring to the Jetta's 2.0-liter turbodiesel and six-speed dual-clutch trans. VW was unable, or perhaps unwilling, to provide the 2.5-liter five-cylinder model we requested and instead sent the TDI, which garnered praise from all who sampled it. "Torque is addicting and the DSG is great. It really rides the wave of torque well," commented Kiino. "In terms of powertrain, the Jetta is in another league here."

But that league has high entry fees. The as-tested price of $26,065 puts a hefty premium on all that speed and economy and features like navigation and a sunroof, but even when comparing base prices, the Jetta is almost $2000 more than the similarly spec'd Focus. For many of our editors, it just wasn't worth it.

"The dumbing-down of the Jetta for the U.S. market is evident from the moment you try to insert the ignition key into the covered-up steering-column ignition switch. This fix-it solution just makes the car look that much more cheap," said Lassa. Others noted the hard, black cheapness of the Jetta's interior plastics, but Lago summed it up best: "The diesel/DSG combo is the only special thing in the Jetta as far as I can see. Remove it, and you have a midpack finisher."

3rd Place: MAZDA3 TOURING

Poor Mazda. Had this been one of our standard enthusiast comparisons where driving enjoyment plays a more significant role, the Mazda3 likely would have taken the crown from the Jetta based on its low cost of entry and oodles of personality. It was that much fun to drive. Just ask Kiino, who gushed, "Chassis is in another class here and feels very buttoned down. Ride is compliant but not too soft, delivering very athletic moves."

Evans agreed. "The Mazda3 is fun to drive and feels light on its feet with a lively chassis. Steering is linear and nicely weighted, with the best feedback of the bunch.

But this isn't the search to find the segment's best sport sedan, so the Mazda3 ends up on the podium just behind the Civic. Why? Because for all its great driving dynamics and low cost of entry, the 3 feels tired and unrefined. Noted Jurnecka, "the switchgear and surfaces scream budget car."

From the ergonomically sound but noisy and cheaply finished cabin to the lousy tires and controversial sheetmetal, the Mazda3 is in desperate need of a makeover. Good thing a refresh is coming next year to address all these issue and add a new high-efficiency Skyactiv-G engine that should bring the EPA mpg up from the segment floor.

"From a fun-to-drive, budget-conscious standpoint, this is a standout sedan that just feels a little dated," concluded Jurnecka.

And dated always loses to updated.

2nd Place: HONDA CIVIC EX

The last time we compared this segment's offerings, the Honda Civic EX finished second. At this go-round, four years later, the all-new ninth-generation EX finishes, well, you already know. All new and it doesn't move up? Did it take a step back?

Nope. As an overall package, the Civic is better than the car it replaces. Quicker, lighter, quieter, safer, roomier-everything, save perhaps the styling, has improved. No, the Civic not winning is more a sign that the competition-at least one competitor-has leapt forward.

Still, we preferred the Civic to six contenders. "Feels light on its feet and perhaps the most nimble of the group," said Evans of our lightest contender. While Gen-9 Civic may not stand out from the similarly styled Gen 8, it does stand out from its peers, at least in a few key areas. Its back seat feels cavernous and comfortable, and was deemed the best here. It returned the second-best observed fuel economy (29.4 mpg), ranking it tops among gas entries.

Still, there were enough demerits to keep the Civic from first. "Suspension feels jittery over bumps; high-frequency stuff resonates through the car," noted Febbo. "Info screen is cumbersome. There are too many submenus for basic functions," opined Lago. Sealing the Civic's fate, though, is the fact that for similar money there's another sedan that adds leather, nav, back-up camera, a better warranty, and more style. Tough to argue with that.

1st Place: HYUNDAI ELANTRA

When MC Guru (RIP) and DJ Premier came together in 1994 to produce "Mass Appeal," the seminal, bass-backed discourse on the evils of trading authenticity for popularity (also known as selling out), they most certainly were not explaining how to build America's best C-segment sedan.

Yet the song's theme matches the Hyundai Elantra's secret to success: Keepin' it real. In this case, really stylish, authentically sophisticated, and content rich. Check it out: The Elantra achieved no distinction on our spec charts; it was not the fastest nor the lightest, not the cheapest nor best at the pump. Yet when it came time for our judges to discuss which vehicle should finish on top, the capable and charismatic Elantra was always in the mix without diesel-ringer rancor or anti-Civic animosity.

"Wow, Hyundai's done a great job here. The Elantra's styling is a welcome addition to the copy/paste mindset," said Lago. Others found the atomic guppy styling modern and fresh, if busier than the staid Civic, leering Mazda3, and starched-collar Jetta. Inside, however, the Elantra was king. "I hate tan interiors, and I was still impressed with this. This cheap Hyundai is better inside than some Lexuses," noted Febbo.

When it came to ride quality, Elantra marries the lightness of the Japanese sedans with the big-car comfort of Jetta and Cruze."The Elantra's ride is easily the most comfortable of the bunch: smooth, quiet, and well-controlled. If I had to drive one of these cars from San Francisco to Los Angeles, this would be my hands-down choice," said Jurnecka.

Sure, there were complaints, primarily about an EPA-certified 29/40-mpg fuel economy number that we did not come close to replicating. Among the gas burners, the Elantra's 25.9 mpg in mixed driving was solidly midpack. Our crew also wished for a bit more crispness in the handling dynamics and steering.
Old 05-30-11, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Man Nissan needs to step it up with their Sentra if they want to reap the benefits of such a hotly contested segment. They haven't been in a comparo in years lol
Great point. Instead "hey let's crap on the Corolla"

bragging on wining a subcompact comparo is like winning the adult wiffle ball championship

that said... The Hyundai is my favorite here

Old 05-30-11, 04:54 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I think it's rather like giving the sales losers a consolation prize. Let's face it, if Toyota stacked all the tech in it's US models that it did in it's euro models (6sp AT where are you?), kept the price intact, and gave em a sport button that tightened up the EPS for nice driver feed back and a compliant yet sporty suspension (we'll see what the FT-86 brings to the table) The competition would have no chance. None. 0. Zip. Zilch.

These guys should be thanking Toyota that cars like the Mazda 3 et al can still exist.

Anybody remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrU9xI8d8DI
Old 05-30-11, 04:56 PM
sndesign
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If he's talking about the Lexus HS and CT, I would generally agree, but not antirely.
Not by a long shot, compared to them the Elantra is a tin can. It's nowhere near as quiet or smooth and the interiors are not even comparable.

By inexpensive compact-car standards, the Elantra's interior is quite nice. The CT, granted, does nave nice leather, but, other than that, IMO, is actually more of a Toyota than a Lexus. I said, in my CT review, that it maybe would have been better-marketed as a Toyota.
From my experience the CT interior is superior to virtually every Toyota model, I found it to be more than worthy of the Lexus badge.
Old 05-30-11, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sndesign

From my experience the CT interior is superior to virtually every Toyota model, I found it to be more than worthy of the Lexus badge.
Agreed 100%

Old 05-30-11, 06:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In their May issue C&D did a comparo of 5 small sedans (no new Civic, Corolla or Kia). I think there was a thread about it. The order of finish was:

1. Focus (195)
2. Mazda3 (188)
3. Elantra (182)
4. Cruze (179)
5. Jetta (174)
Old 05-30-11, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

i think Jetta is overall really pretty bad car.

Compare it to Civic, and what do you get? A lot more expensive car that gets only 10% better mpg for 5k more, has considerably worse brakes and handling.

Honestly, at 21k there is a big point to the Civic as seen by this comparo.
Old 05-30-11, 07:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Not by a long shot, compared to them the Elantra is a tin can. It's nowhere near as quiet or smooth and the interiors are not even comparable.

in the hindsight i think they actually flattered Lexus as in Lexus is the benchmark in Luxury so it is so good it is better than Lexus.

Obviously interior is nothing like CT or HS, but of course price is also a lot less.
Old 05-30-11, 07:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
^I think it's rather like giving the sales losers a consolation prize. Let's face it, if Toyota stacked all the tech in it's US models that it did in it's euro models (6sp AT where are you?), kept the price intact, and gave em a sport button that tightened up the EPS for nice driver feed back and a compliant yet sporty suspension (we'll see what the FT-86 brings to the table) The competition would have no chance. None. 0. Zip. Zilch.

These guys should be thanking Toyota that cars like the Mazda 3 et al can still exist.

Anybody remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrU9xI8d8DI
well, if they used soft plastics and other things as in Euro model (push button start, xenons, auto wipers, auto dimming, sports steering wheel with shifters, etc), it would probably be 24k and still 6 years old, and people would ask why is this 7 speed automatic (S-CVT) so strange.

:-)
Old 05-30-11, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It was the MT article that made the comparison, not me. I partly agreed and partly disagreed.

Here, I disagree. IMO, the CT is too small, rides too firmly, has too much road noise, and is too difficult for large people to get in out of to be a Lexus. Yes, the IS-F, a Lexus product, rides harshly, but it is a purpose-designed sport-sedan.....the CT isn't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-11 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-31-11, 07:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Here, I disagree. IMO, the CT is too small, rides too firmly, has too much road noise, and is too difficult for large people to get in out of to be a Lexus. Yes, the IS-F, a Lexus product, rides harshly, but it is a purpose-designed sport-sedan.....the CT isn't.
i have no idea what does the quality of interior have to do with "harsh ride", and "small" interior.

You seem to be often confusing the two.

I wonder does the Aston Martin Cygnet (Toyota iQ bathed in leather) has luxury quality interior, or does it not, because it is small?
Old 05-31-11, 10:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The old 4spd transmission is really holding the Corolla back. It has comparable powers to the Civic, but 4spd is not enough to get the most out of the little engine. Look at the engine's RPM at 60mph between the Civic and the Corolla. It's quite a big difference.
Old 05-31-11, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i have no idea what does the quality of interior have to do with "harsh ride", and "small" interior.
It doesn't. I didn't say it did.

You seem to be often confusing the two.
With all due respect, I can separate an interior from a chassis/suspension.

I wonder does the Aston Martin Cygnet (Toyota iQ bathed in leather) has luxury quality interior, or does it not, because it is small?
The AM Cygnet is an interesting vehicle.....I've seen some magazine/Internet shots of it. But, despite the images, I can't (and won't) comment on the interior.....I haven't seen it up close, and we probably won't get the Cygnet in the U.S. But, if we do get it, though, there is an Aston dealer just a few miles from my front door. Aston is such a low-volume make, though, that they don't even run a display at the annual D.C. Auto Show.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans