Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Porsche Cayman S Black Edition joins the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2012 Porsche Cayman S Black Edition joins the dark side

2012 Porsche Cayman S Black Edition joins the dark side

Porsche has just unveiled the newest addition to its stable: the 2012 Porsche Cayman S Black Edition. Along with that sinister paint scheme, the vehicle packs an extra 10 horsepower over the standard Cayman S and rolls on unique 19-inch Boxster Spyder wheels. That bumps the final pony figure up to 330 hp, which helps the vehicle scoot to 60 miles per hour in a scan 4.6 seconds.

Outside, all of the vehicle's chrome accents have been painted black for the ultimate stealth look, and that theme carries on indoors. Black is the only available interior color, though brushed stainless steel and aluminum accents are littered throughout the cabin for a little flair. Even the gauges have been doused dark, and a Sport Design steering wheel is part of the package, too.

The Cayman S Black Edition toes the same line as the Boxster S and 911 Black Editions by offering the Porsche Convenience package as standard equipment. The 500 buyers lucky enough to sink their teeth into this model will be treated to adaptive bi-xenon headlights and rain-sensing wipers, among other kit, and navigation is standard, as well.

If you like what you see, Porsche will kindly ask for $67,500 for the pleasure of ownership.

Porsche Cayman S Black Edition adds Horsepower, Features and Value

The 330-horsepower Cayman S Black Edition limited to 500 units worldwide

ATLANTA – May 6, 2011 – Following on the heels of the recently announced 911 and Boxster S Black Editions, Porsche introduces a new, sporty and limited edition Cayman S arriving late this summer. The 2012 Cayman S Black Edition features a 10-horsepower boost and a long list of standard equipment at an attractive price.

This new mid-engine sports car is only available in solid black and features a monochrome treatment with a black body and black-painted 19-inch Boxster Spyder design wheels. Normally contrasting trim pieces from the Cayman S are also painted for a uniform look: the side air intake grilles are painted black, as are the twin exhaust tailpipes and the model designation on the rear deck lid.

The monochromatic theme continues to the interior where black is the only available color, with aluminum and stainless steel used as accents. The brushed stainless steel door-entry guards feature Black Edition lettering, and the standard SportDesign steering wheel features twin aluminum-look spokes with a rim of smooth-finish black leather. Also painted black are the trim strips on the dashboard and around the six-speed manual shift lever or the gear selector for the optional Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) seven-speed double clutch transmission, while the instrument dials are black instead of the usual white. Two final touches are the Porsche crest embossed on the headrests and a limited-edition badge on the glove compartment.

Like the other Black Editions, the Cayman S Black Edition combines Porsche's popular option packages to deliver additional value to customers. The black-painted exterior and interior touches are part of the Design package available on other Cayman models. The Convenience package, also standard, includes Bi-Xenon™ headlights with dynamic cornering function, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, rain sensor and automatic climate control.

The Infotainment package adds a touch-screen Porsche Communication Management system with navigation, BOSE® surround-sound system and XM® Satellite Radio with XM NavTraffic®.

The Black Edition's chassis builds on the foundation of the Cayman S, which already features exceptional balance and handling. The lightest 19-inch wheels in the Porsche lineup are fitted 235/35 ZR 19 tires up front and 265/35 ZR 19 in the rear, providing a visually dynamic upgrade from the standard 18-inch wheels on the regular Cayman S.

A 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine with direct fuel injection, mounted in front of the rear axle, produces 330 horsepower – 10 more than in the Cayman S – while also delivering excellent fuel economy, particularly when coupled with the optional PDK transmission. With PDK, the Cayman S Black Edition will accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in as little as 4.6 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono Package and reaches a top track speed of 172 mph while achieving EPA estimated fuel economy of 20 city and 29 highway (19/26 when equipped with six-speed manual and top track speed of 173 mph), the same as the Cayman S. In addition to reducing the 0--60 acceleration times by two-tenths, the optional Sport Chrono Package with PDK provides a launch control function and more aggressive Sport and Sport Plus shift strategies.

The 2012 Cayman S Black Edition MSRP is $67,500 which gives buyers added value on several levels considering the extra functional and visual upgrades and the enhanced power output.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/06/2...the-dark-side/
Old 05-06-11, 06:35 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very sick! i like this cayman s.
Old 05-06-11, 07:04 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Me likes Nice evolution of the line in the form of a limited edition car.
Old 05-06-11, 07:14 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry, I'm going to hold out for the Cayman S 4S GT3 E Targa RS GT2 Cabriolet R Speedster Black Edition 4.0RS.
Old 05-06-11, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry, I'm going to hold out for the Cayman S 4S GT3 E Targa RS GT2 Cabriolet R Speedster Black Edition 4.0RS.
They will only make 4,000 of them

Old 05-07-11, 05:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

This is a big

I priced out the R at $77K... this with my personal options is $73K... tough choices.... it's basically the R version for $4K less... if you can get it...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 05-07-11 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-07-11, 06:31 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

As with many special edition models, these cars are meant for enthusiasts. These people don't think in terms of "Oh man, I can buy a regular Cayman for less money and tune the hell out of it for only 50 bucks!"

These are generally people who appreciate the Cayman and its capabilities and would gladly pay the exorbitant price for one sine it is even more capable and perhaps visually aggressive than the standard Cayman S or Cayman R. "Every little helps" - might be their philosophy.

Besides, this is a factory-tuned and prepared model. Porsche engineers worked their magic on it, not backroad Bill.
Old 05-07-11, 04:13 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
i'll wait one week longer and pick up the white edition.
Old 05-07-11, 06:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
As with many special edition models, these cars are meant for enthusiasts. These people don't think in terms of "Oh man, I can buy a regular Cayman for less money and tune the hell out of it for only 50 bucks!"

These are generally people who appreciate the Cayman and its capabilities and would gladly pay the exorbitant price for one sine it is even more capable and perhaps visually aggressive than the standard Cayman S or Cayman R. "Every little helps" - might be their philosophy.

Besides, this is a factory-tuned and prepared model. Porsche engineers worked their magic on it, not backroad Bill.
LOL....we are joking...why so serious? Every the Porsche forums joke how Porsche *****s out special editions at will.

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i'll wait one week longer and pick up the white edition.
No, no, the beige edition is where its at

On a side note it gets 20 MPG city and 29 HWY. Porsche just is incredible

Last edited by LexFather; 05-07-11 at 07:05 PM.

Old 05-07-11, 09:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Very Nice...
Old 05-08-11, 09:36 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

This is not as hardcore as the Cayman R, but will satisfy buyers who want to load up on options without having to deal with canvas-strap door handles, fixed wings and "un-deleting" cupholders and A/C.

BTW, a typical owner will never really get 29 mpg. I can do that on the highway even with my mpg-sapping Tiptronic, but 65 mph on cruise control is torture by boredom. I average about 19

Last edited by superchan7; 05-08-11 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-08-11, 02:02 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
LOL....we are joking...why so serious? Every the Porsche forums joke how Porsche *****s out special editions at will.
incredible
It's hard to tell on the Internet.
Old 05-08-11, 03:48 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Looks very nice.
Old 05-08-11, 05:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the wheels but prefer Porsche cars in metallic colors.
Old 05-08-11, 06:51 PM
cenix
Driver

i've liked the cayman since its release. very sweet!

Quick Reply: 2012 Porsche Cayman S Black Edition joins the dark side