Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The '12 Camry a no show at the NY Car Show

Old 04-27-11, 12:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The current, 6th-generation Camry came out in early 2006 as a 2007 model (I got my 2007 Camry in March 2006). So, following Toyota's normal 5-year cycle for updating its cars (and for other reasons), we have been expecting a new Camry since early 2011 for the 2012 model year. The other reasons I believe that we have all been waiting anxiously for a new 7th-generation Camry is because of the hammering that Toyota -- and especially the Camry -- have been receiving since the last quarter of 2009; for the past year, there has been much in the media about "outdated Camry" (although I believe that mechanically, the current Camry is right up to date with the best offerings from Hyundai, Ford and Honda).

But I do not remember hearing or seeing anything official from Toyota (correct me if I am wrong) regarding the introduction of the 7th-generation Camry. There have been no leaks to the Internet and not even spy photos of camouflaged Camrys out testing somewhere. If Toyota has not told us anything about the 7th-generation Camry, why would they now tell us that "it is late"? It would only be late if they had told us to expect it by some earlier date.

Another reason that auto manufacturers have been introducing new models early may be to ensure that their cars are eligible for the various Car of the Year competitions -- which typically start in October of the year -- as "new" cars rather than one-year old cars. If Toyota introduces the new Camry in early 2012 as a 2013 model year car, it will be eligible for all the 2013 Car of the Year competitions starting in late 2012, as a "new" 2013 Camry. If, however, Toyota introduces the new Camry in early 2012 as a 2012 model year car, it will still be eligible for the 2013 COTY competitions, but it will seemingly be an "old" model that has been on sale seemingly for a year already. It is all about perceptions and marketing.
Old 04-27-11, 01:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The current, 6th-generation Camry came out in early 2006 as a 2007 model (I got my 2007 Camry in March 2006). So, following Toyota's normal 5-year cycle for updating its cars (and for other reasons), we have been expecting a new Camry since early 2011 for the 2012 model year. The other reasons I believe that we have all been waiting anxiously for a new 7th-generation Camry is because of the hammering that Toyota -- and especially the Camry -- have been receiving since the last quarter of 2009; for the past year, there has been much in the media about "outdated Camry" (although I believe that mechanically, the current Camry is right up to date with the best offerings from Hyundai, Ford and Honda).

But I do not remember hearing or seeing anything official from Toyota (correct me if I am wrong) regarding the introduction of the 7th-generation Camry. There have been no leaks to the Internet and not even spy photos of camouflaged Camrys out testing somewhere. If Toyota has not told us anything about the 7th-generation Camry, why would they now tell us that "it is late"? It would only be late if they had told us to expect it by some earlier date.

Another reason that auto manufacturers have been introducing new models early may be to ensure that their cars are eligible for the various Car of the Year competitions -- which typically start in October of the year -- as "new" cars rather than one-year old cars. If Toyota introduces the new Camry in early 2012 as a 2013 model year car, it will be eligible for all the 2013 Car of the Year competitions starting in late 2012, as a "new" 2013 Camry. If, however, Toyota introduces the new Camry in early 2012 as a 2012 model year car, it will still be eligible for the 2013 COTY competitions, but it will seemingly be an "old" model that has been on sale seemingly for a year already. It is all about perceptions and marketing.
No, Camry will be released this year, thats what the article refers to. Final preparations for start of production are already on the way.
Old 04-28-11, 05:08 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
No, Camry will be released this year, thats what the article refers to. Final preparations for start of production are already on the way.
So does that mean the 7th generation Camry will just go on sale this fall directly without an auto show unveiling?
Old 04-28-11, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Until the end of the year, the sales of Japanese competitors won't be an accurate gauge, as all Japanese competitors will run at crippled production levels for several months.
but camrys are made in kentucky, and accords in ohio. i believe honda at least has gone to great lengths to not depend on parts from japan.
Old 04-28-11, 08:42 PM
LexFather

True bit but if I remember correctly the stickers on the new cars that show parts content do not show 100% American, I do believe maybe 10-5% is sourced from Japan.

In regards to sales its going to be interesting how hard hit they are especially as inventories dry up.

Old 04-28-11, 10:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Do you have a link to this article?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but camrys are made in kentucky, and accords in ohio. i believe honda at least has gone to great lengths to not depend on parts from japan.
Yes, but around 20-30% of parts content for the Camry and Accord come from Japan. Even if it was only 5-10% of parts, those parts are still part of the car, and without those parts you can't have a complete production car.

Production will be at crippled levels due to suppliers and their limited parts production over the next few months.