Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What will you do next car purchase?
I will stay around the same size
69.57%
I will downsize
21.74%
I will upsize
4.35%
I will supersize
0%
I will ditch the car, possibly get a goat....
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Consumer Reports: Most car buyers not looking to downsize

Old 04-19-11, 07:45 AM
LexFather

Default Consumer Reports: Most car buyers not looking to downsize

What about you? Polltime!

YONKERS, N.Y., April 15, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Most car buyers (56 percent) expect their next new vehicle to be the same size as the model they currently drive, but those who are looking to downsize are motivated by improved fuel economy, lower maintenance and repair costs, environmental concerns, and improved reliability, according to a new survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center.

These findings are from a recent random, nationally representative telephone survey of 911 adult car owners in the United States. Starting Friday morning, Consumer Reports will launch a series of reports on the dollars and cents of downsizing your vehicle. The reports will be available at http://news.consumerreports.org.

Among the drivers interviewed, a quarter of respondents plan to downsize, and 19 percent actually expect to buy a larger vehicle. Older buyers and Northeast residents (where gas prices are higher than in much of the country) are more likely to buy the same size. Those drivers aged 18-34 years are more likely to upsize.

"Despite the common drive to reduce car-operating costs, not everyone wants to downsize. Many young drivers have older vehicles, and as their careers grow, there is a natural ambition to have a new or newer car that is more comfortable and reliable-often that means stepping up from a small car to a midsized sedan or other vehicle This younger demographic may also be in their family-starting years, and likely in need for more passenger space," said Jeff Bartlett, deputy online editor, Consumer Reports Cars.

Reasons for downsizing include: Improved fuel economy (92 percent); Lower maintenance and repair costs (71 percent); Environmental concerns (67 percent); Improved reliability (67 percent); Lower purchase price (65 percent); Don't need the passenger / cargo space (61 percent); and Improved safety (59 percent); Don't need as much power (54 percent).

Reasons for upsizing include: Need more passenger / cargo space (80 percent); Improved comfort (72 percent); Improved safety (66 percent); More reliable (60 percent); Improved fuel economy (55 percent); and Lower maintenance and repair costs (50 percent).

Future buying trends:

Consumer Reports asked respondents what cars they drive most often and what car type they plan to buy next. CR found that more women (26 percent) than men (18 percent) drive a small car, while more men (22 percent) than women (6 percent) drive pickup trucks.

On average, drivers said they get 23.0 miles per gallon in their current vehicle, with most (77 percent) falling in the 15-34 mpg range. When asked about their expectations for their next ride, the median fuel efficiency was 29 mpg – a 6 mpg improvement. Those under age 35 were more optimistic.

"Clearly, the economy and fuel prices are influencing buying trends. Should either change dramatically, more significant changes are likely. For now, our random panel shows a slight shift toward small cars and small SUVs," Bartlett said.

Recent Consumer Reports analysis shows that for most drivers, downsizing from a relatively late-model vehicle often will not pay off for years. Trading the cost of poor fuel economy for new car payments may not provide the immediate relief that many consumers seek. It is important to look at the long-term ownership costs when choosing a vehicle, especially when buying sooner than you typically would. In the days ahead, Consumer Reports will publish in the Cars blog its detailed findings to help car shoppers make smart decisions while reducing their ownership costs.

Old 04-19-11, 10:24 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i will only upsize if the upsized vehicles gets great mpg (for example, an RXh). Otherwise, I'll stay around midsize (but most likely a 5 door)

Last edited by ABC; 04-19-11 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-19-11, 10:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Downsize from my current car.

Upsize from my current bike.

Old 04-19-11, 10:50 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

we just got a tacoma double cab.. it's interior is roughly the same size as the mazda 6
Old 04-19-11, 02:42 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope all automakers would shrink everything they are producing currently to the level in the 90s. A 186" long Honda Accord.
Old 04-19-11, 08:08 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I currently own a BMW 3 Series, and an Infiniti M45. Would like to trade the M45 in for Prerunner. Not sure which camp I fit in.
Old 04-19-11, 08:30 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Im going to upside and downsize, im thinking of trading in my CLK500 for a bigger car with a smaller engine. The 2 front runners are the 335D and GS450h
Old 04-19-11, 09:29 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I hope all automakers would shrink everything they are producing currently to the level in the 90s. A 186" long Honda Accord.
Yeap, agreed. Wish automakers would stop turning their compact cars into mid sized cars and mid sized cars into luxo barges.

Compact cars nowadays are probably the same size as mid sized sedans 10-20 years ago.
Old 04-19-11, 09:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm with MrMut. I'll upsize once there are more fuel efficient SUVs and minivans, although the RXh and Sienna have been on our short list for quite some time. But we rarely go through cars- maybe twice in any given decade, so longevity and reliability are a must. I'm really liking the CTh more now as it gives quite a bit of room for a daily driver and looks and feels quite nice when we test drove it.
Old 04-19-11, 09:34 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

You know what would be nice? A car that is smaller and NOT grossly overweight, has a V6/I6 engine producing ~300ish HP. RWD. 2 or 4 seater, doesn't matter. 2 or 4 door, doesn't matter. Priced at $30-40k.

Haha I just realized I pretty much described the 370Z!

Would just wish other car companies to start considering this bracket!
Can't get a fun fast sports car without going into Porsche territory and that's too rich for my blood at the moment.
Old 04-19-11, 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Many of you guys today don't know what big is. You should see some of the full-size cars I grew up with...and drove. Even today's so-called "big" SUVs can't compare with their length. The 1970's gas-mileage regs, of course, forced their downsizing or elimination.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-11 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 10:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see goats often enough on nearby ranch, don't want one. I know big past and present and recently drove a current gen Suburban enough miles to find it undesirable.

I'm pretty sure my next SUV will be somewhat smaller.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-19-11 at 10:08 PM.