Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

something interesting about the tahara plant our cars were made in

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 09:15 PM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default something interesting about the tahara plant our cars were made in

I had always thought that the plant our cars were made in was very interesting to read about. Here is the first negative thing I have ever heard about it, and I am sceptical. I think this was written by a bad employee. see what you guys make of it. http://www.gembapantarei.com/2007/09...episode_2.html
Old 04-14-11, 06:37 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You cannot judge japanese anything by the usual standarts... They are aliens and we are aliens to them...
Old 04-14-11, 07:52 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
You cannot judge japanese anything by the usual standarts... They are aliens and we are aliens to them...
Who's usual standarts (sic)?

"They are aliens and we are aliens to them" When you make a generalized offensive statement like that, if nothing else you owe the forum an explanation!

I worked many years for a major Japanese firm (and I'm caucasion) and found them to be honorable, excellent team players and above all - extremely intelligent.
Old 04-14-11, 10:40 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

also, as a society, the last couple weeks the world has gotten a better insight into the culture there. From all media accounts, the Japanese appear to be a very orderly, pragmatic, and non-complaining population. So, anything negative coming from a JP citizen must be pretty significant. Just my opinion... nothing personally to back that up other than what i read and see on the tube.
Old 04-14-11, 05:53 PM
Decius44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really didn't get a sense that anything 'bad' was happening. This is just one person's blog out of 9,000 possible employees that could be complaining. If it were so bad, why aren't we hearing more from others? As it stands, it's not enough to think negatively on Toyota.
Old 04-14-11, 06:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Of course that is true for the assembly plant to be amazingly strict, that's why our cars turns out so amazingly, the best in the world.......because they don't allow error to happen.

That is also why American and European cars are so crappy, most people who designed them, assembled them are all horsing around, drunk and simply don't care and slacking off. European cars sell due to their high brand image, American cars sells just because they are cheap, Japanese cars sell due to their amazing design and quality.
Old 04-15-11, 11:28 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Alien statement is the usual bigot comment,,

a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders and religion or spirituality.
Old 04-15-11, 01:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not at all ashamed of where im from but imagine how much better the US would be if we adopted just a fraction of there standards. Especially where i grew up(DC). Some of the things that we see that are negative about another culture as far as standards is whats missing from our society and makes us look uncivilized sometimes.
Old 04-15-11, 01:54 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
I think the poster was just attempting to make an innocuous comment - perhaps too shorthandedly - to make a comment that the Japanese culture is very different from the USA culture.

So its important to note that cultural differences between places are not necessarily associated with race....culture is 10x more complicated than that

So as an example two countries can essentially be composed mostly of folks of the same race and yet be culturally fairly dissimilar - Germany and France in 1935 come to mind.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-15-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 04:02 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Race has almost nothing to do with culture. Culture is the things you do without ever thinking why you do it and almost never even questioning it. That is the result of how you were raised from an infant. It is essentially a person's belief system. Extremely difficult and almost impossible to change the culture. Almost always requires beginning with a new generation and just forgetting about trying to change older generations.
Old 04-15-11, 06:19 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jabberwock - you nailed it. Sorry if someone interpreted my post as something to do with race...

My close friend was living and going to school in Fukua from like 10yo till like 25yo...
The stories he told me is beyond the scope of this board, but these were quite shocking at some points.... Again - nothing to do with race, but everything to do with culture...

Just wiki 'burusera' to "notice" that there's something fundamentally "different" between western and japanese cultures and societies and may i say mentalities...

Thanks, everything is IMHO
Old 04-15-11, 06:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Japanese operate at a different level than what many of us are familiar stateside. Apply that culturally, work ethic and as a society. Has pro's con's just like any. Stateside culture is vastly different so reading such an article is at opposing ends to many of us. There, some of the treatment is common from what I have learned to varying degrees in the workplace.