Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video: Hennessey beats 2011 Nissan GT-R again, this time with twin-turbo Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Post Video: Hennessey beats 2011 Nissan GT-R again, this time with twin-turbo Escalade

The problem with being the standard-bearer for world-class performance is that you're saddled with the burden of defending your crown at every turn. Take the 2011 Nissan GT-R, for example. This vehicle has the proud distinction of offering one of the highest performance-per-dollar ratios of any car on the planet, and as such, it's the go-to challenger for any high-horsepower machine looking to make a name for itself.

Those would-be stars are typically low-slung tuner creations, but the team from Hennessey chose to line the big-bad Nissan up against something a little less traditional: its HPE1000 Cadillac Escalade. Whereas the 485-horsepower 2011 GT-R can dash to 60 mph in as little as 3.4 seconds, the big SUV packs two turbos, over 1,000 horsepower and 0-60 sprint of 3.3 seconds.

To be fair, the Godzilla in the video after the jump isn't the new-and-improved 2012 model (stop us if you've heard this one before...), and the Caddy gets a massive jump on the Nissan, but the fact that a 6,000-pound SUV can manage to keep up with anything from the GT-R bloodline is an impressive enough feat. Click past the jump to check it out for yourself, and remember to keep your fender-to-fender shenanigans off the street
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/13/v...-tw/#continued

Old 04-13-11, 09:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hahah awesome
Old 04-13-11, 10:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason, the thought of an Escalade capable of that level of speed is downright terrifying.
Old 04-13-11, 10:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I wish my mom would turbo her Escalade. That would be insane!
Old 04-13-11, 11:08 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Escalade is ****-poor vehicle at best (just like what Richard Hammond said). All bulk and bloat but ZERO substance.

Other than rappers, drug dealers, hip-hop + R&B singers and sports jocks, this vehicle is worthless.

Fuel economy is **** and I think the materials aren't as good either. From where I'm from, this vehicle is a sign of arrogance mostly used by corrupt politicians as well as by dip****s who have to eat up the others parking space.

In fact, between this comparo, the GT-R is still the victor IMHO.

So what if the big-*** bulk machine gets some souped-up twin turbos. It doesn't make the Escalade a 'better' vehicle (even against the GTR). No matter what you do, if a vehicle is **** from the beginning, then it will still be ****ty. In short, it is still ****.

With that said, I would say that it is the worst Cadillac vehicle in history

And I would be glad if Government Motors would not waste its time on POS like the Escalade and focus on other matters that are of higher importance.

/rant over
Old 04-14-11, 05:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Escalade is ****-poor vehicle at best (just like what Richard Hammond said). All bulk and bloat but ZERO substance.

Other than rappers, drug dealers, hip-hop + R&B singers and sports jocks, this vehicle is worthless.

Fuel economy is **** and I think the materials aren't as good either. From where I'm from, this vehicle is a sign of arrogance mostly used by corrupt politicians as well as by dip****s who have to eat up the others parking space.

So what if the big-*** bulk machine gets some souped-up twin turbos. It doesn't make the Escalade a 'better' vehicle (even against the GTR). No matter what you do, if a vehicle is **** from the beginning, then it will still be ****ty. In short, it is still ****.

And I would be glad if Government Motors would not waste its time on POS like the Escalade and focus on other matters that are of higher importance.

/rant over
While I am no fan of the Escalade to Caddy's credit they have improved it greatly every generation, they even offer a hybrid and it is what a Caddy should be, big, bold with a V-8. Materials have improved and the car sells like hotcakes every year. It clearly influenced the new Japanese Escalade, the Infiniti QX which is just as brash and considered crassy by some.

Around these parts the vehicle is actually driven by tons of suburbanites who do not resemble rappers and people that do not look like rappers who do put big chrome wheels on them. Its just a popular vehicle.

Getting to the video surely most here would take the GT-R still but that is pretty impressive for a giant SUV to do.

Old 04-14-11, 06:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

escalade is 50% more weight and 100% more power over that GTR to put it into perspective
Old 04-14-11, 07:11 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
escalade is 50% more weight and 100% more power over that GTR to put it into perspective

It was fun to watch... even though the drivers are sloppy. It just goes to show that if you pack enough go-fast machinery into it you can make just about anything be outrageously fast.
Old 04-14-11, 07:11 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

anyone need to tow a house?
Old 04-14-11, 07:48 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

So what if the big-*** bulk machine gets some souped-up twin turbos. It doesn't make the Escalade a 'better' vehicle (even against the GTR). No matter what you do, if a vehicle is **** from the beginning, then it will still be
****ty. In short, it is still ****.

/rant over
Dude who poured sand in your va.... The new escalade is arguably one of the best trucks in it's class. It says your in the Philippines, do you even get the escalade they're, did you get to sit in one and test-drive one? I think not. I always find that the most vocal people are the ones that haven't tried or experienced the product.
Old 04-14-11, 08:12 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

1000 horse on a caddy....... are they gonna drive it daily?? 10MPG? Can it use for a pace car/safety car? track car? merely a drag car? What is this?????

99% of Escalade driver drive recklessly, speeding in snow/rain, blasting mud/water/snow onto other cars.....countless shifting lane in slow traffic. As a result I never give respect to Escalade driver
Old 04-14-11, 08:23 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/rant over
Totally disagree!!! I wish I could afford one and know that my wife drives our two kids in one of the best and safest american SUVs among crazy Los Angeles drivers...
Old 04-14-11, 08:27 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Escalade: Not just for suburban soccer moms anymore. ha ha
Old 04-14-11, 09:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
99% of Escalade driver drive recklessly, speeding in snow/rain, blasting mud/water/snow onto other cars.....countless shifting lane in slow traffic. As a result I never give respect to Escalade driver
Geez do you and BlackRaven see the same shrink? lol going a little overboard in your generalizations don't you think?

Someone had some turbos, an Escalade, time and money available and put them all together. Not that big a deal or worth blowing a gasket over, lol
Old 04-14-11, 09:54 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Imagine seeing that huge suv at a track beating everything that pulled up to it? lol. Reminds me of that old (IIRC) Plymouth minivan some guy tricked out and would slaughter anything at the track.

Quick Reply: Video: Hennessey beats 2011 Nissan GT-R again, this time with twin-turbo Escalade