Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: LA police officers who alleged ticket quota system win $2M judgment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 08:54 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with oopapi here. He makes some good points. Besides, quotas or not, if you don't screw up, you won't get ticketed....a cop can't give you a citation for something you didn't do.
In NYC, cop camp out on the last 1~3 days of every month to meet their quota. There are just too many laws out there that they can ticket you. For example, law states a full 3 seconds stop on every stop sign. How many of you follow it exactly?? I got pull over once & the cop tells me I only stop for one second, he come back with a ticket but no where mention I fully stop for one seconds, instead "disobey traffic sign". it was 2/27/09.

Another incident, I was driving off from Outer Bridge, NY (45mph zone ) into HWY 440, NJ (60mph zone), right after i merged on HWY 440, NJ trooper pulled me over & states I was doing 62 on a 45 zone ( I increase speed after I merged onto HWY 440, I know for sure because I was behind a truck & I wasn't able to accelerate until I shift into a new free lane after getting off the bridge). If I was speeding on the bridge, I'm under the jurisdiction of Port Authority & not NJ trooper. Guess what? it was 12/30/09 & the cop pulled another car right in front of me right after he hang over the ticket

The above are true story & I will scan copy of my ticket if you guy think I'm joking! Many scum cop will give you ticket over anything on the end of each month!!

Last edited by grabber2; 04-12-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 09:56 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^I don't know about your 3 second law, but that must be a NY thing.

If you violate the law and get a ticket, can you really complain if there is a quota?

A quota is: you will write "X" amount of tickets a day/month.

A motivated cop (or a di@k) will simply write "X" amount of tickets a day/month because he wants to.

The LAPD officers were told to write the serious, "more expensive tickets like running stop signs or red lights." Well no sh#t, those violations are what cause car accidents so people should get tickets for those violations.

If it is the end of the month and you get a ticket for speeding, tinted windows, and no insurance, the issue is NOT the cop trying to meet his quota, it is the fact you were speeding, had tinted windows, and no insurance.

I'm a cop. Today I wrote a guy a ticket for rolling the front HALF of his car into an INTERSECTION (beyond the crosswalk) while waiting for his red light to turn green (I was offset, two cars behind him). He was impatient waiting for the light to turn green. I pulled him over, wrote him the ticket and also cited him for being unlicensed and not having insurance. I don't have quotas, but yeah, I thought this guy should be ticketed. I usually just warn people, buy not this time.
Old 04-12-11, 10:19 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm glad officers are standing up to the system. We as motorists have little say when it comes to this matter, but members of the police department have a large voice, and I'm glad these two shed some light on the matter. Not all cops are bad, but those who just went as instructed- shame on them for not knowing right from wrong.
Old 04-12-11, 10:23 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by stick
^^^I don't know about your 3 second law, but that must be a NY thing.

If you violate the law and get a ticket, can you really complain if there is a quota?

A quota is: you will write "X" amount of tickets a day/month.

A motivated cop (or a di@k) will simply write "X" amount of tickets a day/month because he wants to.

The LAPD officers were told to write the serious, "more expensive tickets like running stop signs or red lights." Well no sh#t, those violations are what cause car accidents so people should get tickets for those violations.

If it is the end of the month and you get a ticket for speeding, tinted windows, and no insurance, the issue is NOT the cop trying to meet his quota, it is the fact you were speeding, had tinted windows, and no insurance.

I'm a cop. Today I wrote a guy a ticket for rolling the front HALF of his car into an INTERSECTION (beyond the crosswalk) while waiting for his red light to turn green (I was offset, two cars behind him). He was impatient waiting for the light to turn green. I pulled him over, wrote him the ticket and also cited him for being unlicensed and not having insurance. I don't have quotas, but yeah, I thought this guy should be ticketed. I usually just warn people, buy not this time.
Sorry to get off topic, but when you pull over someone who doesn't have a license and insurance, do they get a ticket or do they get arrested? I've know a few people to get pulled over with no license/suspended licenses and only get tickets. I've always wondered how that works.
Old 04-12-11, 11:53 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its great that these cop stopped the quota system, but why do the tax payers who suffered from the quota have to give these cops $2 million. If they were truly doing their job, they would have just fought the quota in court and not taken the $2 million, because after all, isnt it THEIR JOB TO DO THE RIGHT THING; why do they deserve a bonus for doing their job correctly.

I do not really respect these cops
Old 04-13-11, 12:57 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It'll be sweeter justice now if those who were pulled over by these two cops band together to sue these two cops for that $2 Million. That'll be justice served.
Old 04-13-11, 01:21 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Did they both get $2m, or did they have to split it? Either way, getting over a million bucks, and you can never work a day in your life ever again.
Originally Posted by knihc2008
Now let's see you give the $2m back by paying back all those motorists you screwed over!
Originally Posted by Jewcano
So can someone explain why these two are the ones who are receiving the $$$? Especially when they were of the ones who were issuing said 'quota' tickets?
Everyone here needs to keep in mind that, according to the OP article, this was compensation for damages resulting from the officers refusing to meet quotas. In other words, these officers didn't want to play the quota game and as a result likely got reassigned / suspended / demoted / passed over for promotion / had their work history sufficiently damaged that future employment is affected / etc. etc. etc. - they were already harmed by these actions and this is compensation for those damages already suffered. Maybe the award isn't accurate, but that's a different issue -it's not like this was a punitive award intended to punish the PD and it just happens to be these officers that are profiting off the punitive damages.

The people that should be outraged are the people who got ticketed by all the officers who mindlessly followed the orders to follow quotas, especially if those people were targeted unfairly.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
There's a big quota push back going on here in NYC too and I don't get it. Quota's are fine. There needs to be a system to root out lazy cops who do anything at all costs to meet them.
Sorry, quotas are ridiculous. Telling a cop he has to give X tickets per day or he'll get reassigned is just asking for abuse of the system especially with respect to ticketing those not actually breaking the law.

I'll bet most of these mandates are from state/local governments that desperately need revenue. But speeding laws should exist for public safety, not revenue generation. Of course, most state and local governments are more than happy to abuse a facade of public safety in order to generate revenue.
Old 04-13-11, 01:25 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welp, I guess these guys are gonna have a hard time continuing with LAPD...
Old 04-13-11, 02:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Everyone here needs to keep in mind that, according to the OP article, this was compensation for damages resulting from the officers refusing to meet quotas. In other words, these officers didn't want to play the quota game and as a result likely got reassigned / suspended / demoted / passed over for promotion / had their work history sufficiently damaged that future employment is affected / etc. etc. etc. - they were already harmed by these actions and this is compensation for those damages already suffered. Maybe the award isn't accurate, but that's a different issue -it's not like this was a punitive award intended to punish the PD and it just happens to be these officers that are profiting off the punitive damages.

The people that should be outraged are the people who got ticketed by all the officers who mindlessly followed the orders to follow quotas, especially if those people were targeted unfairly.

Sorry, quotas are ridiculous. Telling a cop he has to give X tickets per day or he'll get reassigned is just asking for abuse of the system especially with respect to ticketing those not actually breaking the law.

I'll bet most of these mandates are from state/local governments that desperately need revenue. But speeding laws should exist for public safety, not revenue generation. Of course, most state and local governments are more than happy to abuse a facade of public safety in order to generate revenue.
congrats to you sir, very nicely crafted and supported 100%!
Old 04-13-11, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
why do the tax payers who suffered from the quota have to give these cops $2 million. If they were truly doing their job, they would have just fought the quota in court and not taken the $2 million, because after all, isnt it THEIR JOB TO DO THE RIGHT THING; why do they deserve a bonus for doing their job correctly.
Another excellent point.

I do not really respect these cops
I'm not sure I agree with this part, though. No matter what kind of taxpayer-settlement these cops may or may not have gotten, cops (potentially) put their lives on the line each day for all of us....and our safety. With rare exceptions, most of them are worthy of respect.
Old 04-13-11, 04:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

What you're overlooking here is that, on any given day, in almost any part of the country (but especially in the D.C area where I live), there are so many scofflaws on the road, breaking so many traffic laws, that, in effect, quotas aren't needed. All that almost any cop has to do is put down the coffee and donuts, open his or her eyes, and just look at what's constantly going on all around...people running red-lights and no-turn-on-red, speeding, yakking on cell-phones and texting while driving, cutting through private-property to avoid red lights and backups, illegal U-Turns, parking in unauthorized spaces, blocking fire hydrants, etc.....

An attentive cop, if he or she keeps their eyes open and has a real desire to enforce traffic laws, has more opportunities to write more tickets than almost any artificial "quota" a jurisdiction could come up with...so I see quotas as a moot point.
Old 04-13-11, 06:00 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a friend that once got pulled over for tint.

The only problem...he's legal. 100% legal.

Cop pulled him over, told him he was being pulled over for his tint being too dark. My friend told him "No, it's not. It's legal."

So, the cop said he needed to test it. Problem was, he didn't have a tint-o-meter with him. So my friend and the cop had to wait, at the side of the road, for an hour, until one of the cop's buddies could bring him a tint-o-meter.

He tested the tint and verified that the tint was legal...and sent him on his way.

90 minutes of his life...gone forever...for obeying the law!!!!
Old 04-13-11, 06:20 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better than a ticket for obeying the law

Old 04-13-11, 06:34 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So we are all allowed in our everyday lives to have ambition within our jobs and go out and be 'great' but cops aren't? That's basically what the people who are crying over quotas are saying. You don't want the cop to do his job to the best of his ability and give you a break. But the question becomes: Why do YOU deserve a break today from the officer?

I understand the point about dealing with an overzealous cop. But where is the line drawn? What about the flip side of no performance objectives (quotas)? Cops who have to meet no performance criteria and are allowed to use their discretion on every single incident. What happens to the quality of the police force then? More officers subjected to bribes, not reporting incidents, brutality, etc. You take away the discretion and every single stop becomes the same with the same penalties for everyone (imagine that system).

So where is the line drawn? Ok Officer, you caught me for speeding but I want you to ignore my tint, lowered car, weed smell because you only caught me speeding and that's all you should deal with. Sorry, I don't agree.

My car has at least 5 violations on it right now. I know this and knew it before I did the mods. But I also accept responsibility for my mods and my budget allows me to pay for the tickets I EXPECT to receive. If I get caught speeding, I'm GRATEFUL for an experience where I drive away with just a speeding ticket. Now if the NYPD says they are cracking down tomorrow and will ticket every car they see with illegal tints then I know I need to remove my tints because the ticket risk falls outside of my budget.

So what are you really beefing about? When has a cop ever come to your car and installed illegal tint on your car just so they could give you a ticket and meet a quota? When has a cop pulled you over while you were driving at 40mph and arrested you for being in a speed contest? The number is minimal at best and there are enough guidelines in place where eventually that cop will be found out about and dealt with. But the people he/she has affected are in an isolated group to that one officer, not all cops or the system.

My bottom line is this. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY FOR THE TICKETS ON THE MODS YOU INSTALL ON YOUR CAR THEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD YOUR MODS.

Even with Habious' example above. What is the beef? Cop thought the tint was illegal and wanted it tested. Cop was wrong and driver was sent on his way. How is that related to a quota and what is the beef? Obviously the tint was dark enough to be called into question. If one cop stops you everyday for the same tint test then you need to ask yourself if having tint in your area where it obviously is an issue is worth the hassle?

Last edited by oohpapi44; 04-13-11 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 07:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

Even with Habious' example above. What is the beef? Cop thought the tint was illegal and wanted it tested. Cop was wrong and driver was sent on his way. How is that related to a quota and what is the beef? Obviously the tint was dark enough to be called into question. If one cop stops you everyday for the same tint test then you need to ask yourself if having tint in your area where it obviously is an issue is worth the hassle?
you are seriously saying that people should be questioning themselves on doing things that are legal? on the contre, i think it should be illegal for cop to make you wait 90 minutes on the side of the road for minor thing like tinted window. it is his problem if he doesnt have the tint checker in his car.

problem with quotas is that they tell officers to make money for the city and not fight crime. it is literally not telling them to do their job, but rather to make specific amount of $$$. So question comes - are cops there to uphold the law or make money?

Quick Reply: Report: LA police officers who alleged ticket quota system win $2M judgment