Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 01:59 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A co-worker said he wanted to scratch the Jeep CJ itch and asked me about buying a used one. I told him to do some reading on reliability of them. A week later he was shaking his head and asking what was he thinking. He said he couldn't find a single good review.
Old 04-02-11, 04:45 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
A co-worker said he wanted to scratch the Jeep CJ itch and asked me about buying a used one. I told him to do some reading on reliability of them. A week later he was shaking his head and asking what was he thinking. He said he couldn't find a single good review.
If he's looking for something older and has a bit of cash, steer him toward a FJ40. Jeeps made prior to AMC getting their hands on them are very stout. I've got a 69 Kaiser made CJ5 and a 54 ****** made CJ3B. Both are built like no other. Newer? Well... FJ Cruiser? Of course, a Jeep for a beater wheeling rig is fine as it only has to be as reliable as the trail is long.
Old 04-04-11, 10:38 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The press gives the NEW American cars rave reviews. They start off good, but over time they fall apart. This is where the Japanese pull ahead. I think you made the right choice getting rid of the Jeep, but you bought a Mercedes ML? The ML is notorious for having issues. I hope you got a factory warranty with the car. You said its a 2009, so i'm sure its still in effect. I would contact Mercedes and see if you have the option to extend the warranty because you will need it. I'm in no way trying to put you down, but the ML is know in the auto industry as being troublesome. Its built in Alabama, so that could be the issue.
Old 04-04-11, 02:27 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Its built in Alabama, so that could be the issue.
So you're saying Americans can't build cars? Weird. As far as I know the Toyota Camry is now built in the United States and it is as a very well-built and reliable car.

The first-generation ML was a troublesome product because the management hadn't effectively setup the typical stringent quality control standards used in Germany in the Tuscaloosa plant. In effect the first ML was rushed to the market - because of the SUV craze. But as far as I know, the latter models were much better and even somewhat reliable.

The second-generation ML is by far a better and more reliable car as the company has managed to improve the building and quality control process at the plant. I've heard that the early models were a bit troublesome, but now rank as some of the most reliable cars on the road (I discovered this in an AMS report from about a year ago) in Germany.
Old 04-05-11, 09:38 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So moral of the story, trust your first instinct and tell Chrysler to take their flagship vehicle and place it squarely in their rear.
Uhh I may be mistaken but isn't Mercedes owned by Chrysler? From what I've heard and some my friends have exp it sounds like you traded one junker for another. Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-06-11, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nixx621
Uhh I may be mistaken but isn't Mercedes owned by Chrysler? Just my 2 cents...
Current events update: No
Old 04-06-11, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
Uhh I may be mistaken but isn't Mercedes owned by Chrysler?
Although the Mercedes/Chrysler merge was technically a equal-union, M-B ended up, for all intents and purposes, owning the company. M-B then sold Chrysler off to the Cerebus Company, who, in 2009, sold it to a combination of Italy's Fiat and U.S. Government and UAW money.
Old 04-06-11, 10:27 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although the Mercedes/Chrysler merge was technically a equal-union, M-B ended up, for all intents and purposes, owning the company. M-B then sold Chrysler off to the Cerebus Company, who, in 2009, sold it to a combination of Italy's Fiat and U.S. Government and UAW money.
But I do believe the current ML came out when Mercedes and Chrysler were partnered. Look on any newer Mercedes and the door panel states MFD: Daimler Chrysler AG Stuttgart.
Old 04-06-11, 12:27 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I guess most here do not like Chrysler aka Jeep the main topic but oddly enough many of these Grand Cherokees are on the streets, and people drive them day in and day out, the worst I have really heard about Jeep is gas usage, but that is clearly on the window sticker, they have more issues with higher mileage but within the new car limitations of 60k and the warranty, they are no different then 4Runners.

The service advisor must of worked for Toyota, cause Chrysler dealers I have been to know how to fix problem

In a funny way this Jeep has the exact problems my friends mother had with her Avalon the Toyota dealer gave her the run around
Old 04-06-11, 12:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody else own the new/current gen JGC?
Old 04-06-11, 01:09 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A quart every thousand is considered "normal" by the American auto industry.....

I had a car with the 3.0l Ford duratec and it consumed (not burned, not oil smoke, exhaust clean as whistle) 1qt every 3000 miles from day one and continued to do so till I sold it 7.5 years later with 120,000miles on it.
Old 04-06-11, 01:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
A quart every thousand is considered "normal" by the American auto industry.....

I had a car with the 3.0l Ford duratec and it consumed (not burned, not oil smoke, exhaust clean as whistle) 1qt every 3000 miles from day one and continued to do so till I sold it 7.5 years later with 120,000miles on it.
. Yes for a 1000 miles to the quart, they consistently will say "normal", followed by "not a legitimate warranty claim".

. Many of the earlier Ford "modular" SOHC (2 value per cylinder) V8's did the same. The later versions (06-10 for example) typically use minimal oil between 5-7K mile oil change intervals.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-06-11 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 09:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes for a 1000 miles to the quart, they consistently will say "normal", followed by "not a legitimate warranty claim".
On paper, 1/1000 may be considered "normal" by some auto manufacturers in a double-talk attempt to get out of warranty work or having to replace engines, but, in fact, it really isn't normal at all. I have never had a new car (or any used-car with less than 70-80K miles on it), that used or burned oil anywhere near that rate, with one exception...a POS late-70s VW 4-cylinder engine in a Plymouth Horizon.

Now, of course, that's not to say that it doesn't happen...the Cadillac Northstar V8, for example, was known for significant oil consumpton, even at low mileage. But, with most modern engines, broken-in properly and not abused, and using the correct oil-grade as recommended, one can usually expect a lot more than 1000 miles out of a quart of oil.
Old 04-06-11, 09:34 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On paper, 1/1000 may be considered "normal" by some auto manufacturers in a double-talk attempt to get out of warranty work or having to replace engines, but, in fact, it really isn't normal at all. I have never had a new car (or any used-car with less than 70-80K miles on it), that used or burned oil anywhere near that rate, with one exception...a POS late-70s VW 4-cylinder engine in a Plymouth Horizon.

Now, of course, that's not to say that it doesn't happen...the Cadillac Northstar V8, for example, was known for significant oil consumpton, even at low mileage. But, with most modern engines, broken-in properly and not abused, and using the correct oil-grade as recommended, one can usually expect a lot more than 1000 miles out of a quart of oil.
I never noticed the 4.7L V8 in my 2004 Dodge Ram with 87K miles using much oil, but this oil talk got me curious, so I just went out and checked. I am about 4300 miles into my 5K change interval and it has not lost any oil at all. Granted, the 4.7L is a different design than the Hemi, so it is not apples to apples, but it appears that Chrysler can build SOME engines that are OK for a reasonable number of miles (or I got an inverse lemon ).
Old 04-06-11, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV

The second-generation ML is by far a better and more reliable car as the company has managed to improve the building and quality control process at the plant. I've heard that the early models were a bit troublesome, but now rank as some of the most reliable cars on the road (I discovered this in an AMS report from about a year ago) in Germany.
lol wut? German car does well in German survey. Wow (paging CDN Rockies)

Quick Reply: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**