Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 11:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Thanks for the 2011 update, btw-what car is that (that would be helpful to know)?

fyi - Ford Explorer (4th generation) break-in procedure below since I think it was asked about earlier (and it gives some perspective on another major US automakers approach):

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles (800 km) before towing a
trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-01-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-01-11, 11:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
^ Thanks for the 2011 update, btw-what car is that (that would be helpful to know)?
It's a Mazda3 s Sport.
Old 04-01-11, 11:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's a Mazda3 s Sport.
Fun car, cool
Old 04-01-11, 11:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

When we installed a new motor in a car built to be raced, it was broken in the exact same way we wanted to run it, as hard as possible...

I distinctly remember a car we put on the dyno - literally drove it from the service area to the dyno area (same parking lot), let it idle for a bit, put in a baseline tune, did a few partial throttle runs to see what a/f readings were looking like, then started out at 15 psi boost... made 325 whp... made a few changes, made a few more hp at that boost, and later that same day, at 26 psi boost, made just over 500 whp... the engine officially had zero miles on it, though if you would have looked at the odometer, we probably put 50 miles on it that day on the dyno...

that motor outlasted the car it was in and was sold, never consumed any oil or anything...

the more pressure you get in the cylinder, the better the chances the rings get broken in properly...

ps - it was a 2 liter...
Old 04-01-11, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
The remaining limitations, in this case, seem to be pretty much what they have been for decades....though, granted, the general 4000-4500 RPM limitation and the cautions against hard acceleration/braking seem to be gone.
Old 04-01-11, 12:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

nothing about dont brake too hard? Dont redline the car? interesting. Im sure those are still on the Lexus manuals
Old 04-01-11, 12:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The remaining limitations, in this case, seem to be pretty much what they have been for decades....though, granted, the general 4000-4500 RPM limitation and the cautions against hard acceleration/braking seem to be gone.
Exactly the point (regarding engine break-in today, pre-delivery to dealership) and now we better understand it thanks to other CL posters.

Break-in today for consumer involves tires and brake pads more than anything else for first few miles, as I mentioned earlier.
Old 04-01-11, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

fyi - Ford Explorer (4th generation) break-in procedure below since I think it was asked about earlier (and it gives some perspective on another major US automakers approach):

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
where is that in the manuals? i've got mine right here.

regardless, i still think it's just cya by car companies. unless someone buy's a car and drives 500 miles on an interstate with hardly any stops, they're going to be varying their speed, and what do they mean by 'frequently' anyway?
Old 04-01-11, 12:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
where is that in the manuals? i've got mine right here.

regardless, i still think it's just cya by car companies. unless someone buy's a car and drives 500 miles on an interstate with hardly any stops, they're going to be varying their speed, and what do they mean by 'frequently' anyway?
Page 6 (Introduction section), of the 2007 Owners Manual for Ford Explorer (boilerplate).

Regardless I've always driven the cars normally or same as usual for duration of my ownership experience (without any engine problems). And normally I don't drone for hundreds of miles at the same steady speed.
Old 04-01-11, 01:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Common sense should prevail. Just read the owners manual for break-in guidelines and follow them. They warranty the car so you can't go wrong.

I agree with two points brought up here. The guidelines seem to apply more to brakes and tires, and in many repsects they are a bit of CYA for the manufacturer.
Old 04-01-11, 01:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR

I do have the means to afford a 'gaff' like this and my time is better wasted other useless places than the dealer. We did get the ML350 and not sure why someone mention the engine was sluggish?? It's got very good pick up but admittedly it ain't a V8. We'll see about the quality and reliability. At least I know the service will be a bit more respectful.

More on-topic from OP's standpoint:

Regarding Mercedes and the ML350, yes you will find Mercedes service to be very good (I've had mostly good dealings with Mercedes service departments over the last 15 years), almost as good as Lexus service. If you have a decent Mercedes salesperson, he can line you up with one of the better service advisors and you can stick with him/her through the entire warranty period.

The ML350 is quick in its class, for example C&D recorded 0-60 in low 7's, not bad for 3.5L in 4800 pound SUV.

Quality and reliability is average at best for the current gen ML. (Generalizations about Mercedes brand reliability are not all that helpful because each model is very different) The latest designs such as the 08-11 C-class are proving to be more reliable than most Benz's probably as a result of more durability testing prior to release.
Old 04-01-11, 02:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The OP had me laughing...funny story, though I am sorry to hear of your experience.

FWIW, I've driven a few HEMI-equipped cars and found them to be pretty weak as well. A few years ago I actually raced a Hemi Ram 4 door in a GX and also smoked him, so it has been done!
Old 04-01-11, 02:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

In my experience the Hemi doesnt mean much. BTW the "hemi" engine design is ancient. It made a splash back in the day and it really only means something to the older drivers who remember all of the hype from back in the day. They are huge gas guzzling motors that lose their breath at insanely low rpm relative to todays motors.
the term hemi is purely marketing hype. In my V8 I want to hear words like direct injected and variable valve timing
Old 04-01-11, 04:21 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you get the typical (and notorious) bed-weld rusting all around the rear-bed where it was attached to the frame? 80s-vintage Toyota trucks were known for that. It came from the fact that, for tariff reasons, the trucks were shipped over from Japan without the beds. The beds were all welded on at the West Coast Toyota warehouse, with crappy welds that rusted from the inside out.....there wasn't much you could do to stop it, short of living in a very dry climate.
But of course! After all, it was a Toyota! Haha!

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Nice jeep!

And yes, expectations do come into play. I believe that my jeep would be in better condition if my mom and sister didn't treat it so poorly when they had it.

As for the Grand Cherokee itself, it was the result of Chrysler really trying to meld a lot of their products with Jeep products, and thus become one of the first "soccer mom" SUVs, because they were more Chrysler than an actual Jeep. However, during the very first year for the GC (92), they were offered with an Aisin automatic or manual - the same offered in the regular Cherokee. These were the most "Jeepy" GCs.

But I digress. This doesn't really have anything to do with your newer GC problems.
I agree with ya! I still like the oldies and even looking at the newbies. I was most sour over the lack of care or assistance.

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
You dump the Jeep for reliability issues and go buy a Mercedes; brilliant.
No, if I was brilliant, I'd buy a bicycle. But thanks for the vote of confidence! At least Nissan just "sounds" like it's falling apart after some miles.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In my experience the Hemi doesnt mean much. BTW the "hemi" engine design is ancient. It made a splash back in the day and it really only means something to the older drivers who remember all of the hype from back in the day. They are huge gas guzzling motors that lose their breath at insanely low rpm relative to todays motors.
the term hemi is purely marketing hype. In my V8 I want to hear words like direct injected and variable valve timing
All it meant was hemispherical intake and exhaust ports if I'm not mistaken. I didn't buy it for the Hemi, just thought the V8 would be nice. It wasn't. It was actually dissapointing. I was comparing it to my GX and it was falling flat in all areas. Shame, I still really like some Chrylser products. Guess I'll stick with enjoying watching others drive them for me.

Last edited by BLUEGXLVCR; 04-01-11 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-01-11, 05:19 PM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What experience with the Hemi is that exactly? I am only familiar the Hemi in the Ram trucks, but I think the one in the Jeep and other cars is similar. The truck version may be tuned for better low end torque if anything. It is still a pushrod V8 with a hemispherical combustion chamber, but it does have two spark plugs per cylinder, variable cam timing (as apposed to variable valve timing) and does have the multi-displacement system(MDS) which turns off four cylinders during highway crusing, which allows the trucks to get over 20mpgs consistently. It also has a red-line of about 5800-6000 RPMs, but with tuners guys can bump that up probably 500-800 rpm more with no problems.

In general (and again I can only talk about trucks) it has been very reliable. It is the automatic transmissions that tend to be the most problematic. It is certainly not the most advanced V8 on the market, but it is certainly very different and much improved from the Hemis of the old muscle car era.

Here is a page from Allpar.com if anyone was interested (which on this site is probably not very many people):

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Quick Reply: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**