Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Aston Martin, Daimler gearing up to take on Bentley, Rolls-Royce together

Old 03-30-11, 09:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Report: Aston Martin, Daimler gearing up to take on Bentley, Rolls-Royce together

Report: Aston Martin, Daimler gearing up to take on Bentley, Rolls-Royce together

Entering the very top of the luxury saloon market is no easy task. Even a company like Daimler has had trouble positioning its Maybach program against the likes of Bentley and Rolls-Royce – owned by its archrivals at Volkswagen and BMW, respectively. Aston Martin is looking at taking a bite out of the hyper-exclusive market with the impending re-launch of its Lagonda brand, but both Aston and Daimler apparently believe that getting a profitable foothold in that stratospheric segment is more than either of them are up to alone. So they're going at it together.

Reports began emerging of an Aston/Daimler partnership several years ago, suggesting that Daimler could turn to Aston for its expertise in building small production runs – a skill to which Daimler is not accustomed. Now Car and Driver is detailing the particulars of that tie-up that could lead to big things for both automakers. What Daimler would get out of the deal is the potentially more viable production of next-generation Maybach models, also built atop the Mercedes-Benz S-Class platform (albeit the next iteration) but at Aston's plant in Gaydon, Warwickshire, England.

What Aston would get in return is the technology (in platforms, drivetrain and other equipment) on which to base its new Lagonda range, including a sedan built alongside the Maybach line as well as a GL-based crossover. The question is whether the partnership could extend to provide Aston with a new platform to replace the aging VH architecture on which its entire lineup is now based.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/r...bentley-rolls/
Old 03-31-11, 07:03 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aston Martin, Rolls and Bentley under one roof. Now thats something I would like to see. Just add Land Rover to the mix also

Having those 4 British name-sakes under one roof would be automotive heaven.
Old 03-31-11, 07:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Aston Martin, Rolls and Bentley under one roof.
Not under one roof. The three British brands are controlled by separate companies (MB, BMW, and VW respectively).

However, to have three major "houses" for luxury mega-sedans would be interesting. Since Maybach is dead, MB can use the Aston moniker to create a new mega-sedan that will compete against Rolls Royce and Bentley. And for now, Aston has a better chance playing the game than Maybach...
Old 03-31-11, 09:31 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

GM or Ford should buy the Dusenburg name and do a revival of the greatest American luxury name.

Last edited by bad co; 03-31-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 10:41 AM
JessePS

Originally Posted by bad co
GM or Ford should by the Dusenburg name and do a revival of the greatest American luxury name.
Ford would be a likely choice, but maybe GM would do it. Seeing it Dusenberg could be a higher end Cadillac.

Anyways, I misread the title my bad.
Old 03-31-11, 12:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its not that easy to come out with some new car that will overtake the prestige and reputation that Bentley and Rolls Royce have developed over their lives. Maybach was at least a known (has some history)name to people who know cars.
Old 03-31-11, 02:27 PM
Stormwind
Racer

aack...pretty sure it's a bad move for Diamler. Why would anybody want to partner up with a company that doesn't know how to turn a profit for the past 10+ years? I surely wouldn't.
Old 03-31-11, 04:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
aack...pretty sure it's a bad move for Diamler. Why would anybody want to partner up with a company that doesn't know how to turn a profit for the past 10+ years? I surely wouldn't.
bingo..........